love

Author Topic: Board Game Banter  (Read 13081 times)

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: Board Game Banter
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 03:41:19 AM »
Played through a 12 game campaign of a game called Charterstone. We did it with just 2 players and 2 automated players, and had a good time. It would be a really neat game to play with 6 people, if you coordinate it.

We're in the middle of our own campaign (5 games in I think), it's interesting so far. We're also 4 players, but completely blanked on the automated players thing and decided not to go back and fix it, so I suspect our development is a little slower. It's interesting, but the campaign aspect isn't quite as exciting as in something more narrative like Pandemic Legacy.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 09:43:20 AM »
What Do You Meme? is a pretty terrible take on the Apples to Apples/CAH formula. So many variations on the same dumb jokes (haha parents + sex = awkward!) and I would say half the time I didn't have a good match to play. Five people in their 30's and 40's needed our teenage houseguest to explain several of the memes, so it's probably not a game for my generation.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »
@MT
I enjoy The Metagame more in that respect because it has a brief description of each cultural item at the bottom of the card. It usually sales at B&N and they've got a few expansions coming out this year, one being movies! I played it with several groups and it's been a big hit as it goes all the way back to the 60s.

So many games now want to be Cards Against Humanity style humor and we need to grow up a lot and quit being antisocial jerks at the table. Basically any game that has a NSFW edition or disclaimer is an automatic pass for me. The Metagame does have some PG-13 humor, but it's all stuff kids should know about by now, especially with the Internet.

@tinyholidays
I did just get Hardback last weekend but haven't had a chance to read up on all the rules as I've been sick the last week. Game looks great. Azul is also on my shortlist for games to pick up this year as that one looks like a beauty.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »
Metagame looks intriguing.

they've got a few expansions coming out this year, one being movies!

Unfortunately, no one in our circle is anywhere near the movie buff I am.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:56 AM »
Rising Sun adds monster from Wikipedia.

I find this equal parts funny and sad. It was inevitable that someone would make millions on Kickstarter and accidentally mess up the theme behind the game. Haven't gotten mine yet so I wonder if they're taking this part of the game out.

This is the risk you always make with Kickstarters where the high concept is great but the execution end up not having quality control issuesl. I only backed because it looked like the Japanese monsters is read behind but I guess I should have done research on the stretch goals as well..Still think I'll get a great game but if my copy has the figure, I'm going to shelve it as a reminder to always check your sources.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 03:04:47 PM »
I've played so many board games this year I'm not even sure where to start.

Oh, I know where to start! We finished Pandemic: Legacy Season 1. If you have a regular group of people to play with or maybe even just a partner/spouse, this is such a fun experience as it's an ever evolving game of Pandemic where the rules and mechanics change month by month. We got a good 16 plays out of it before finishing the campaign.

Firefly Adventures: Brigands and Browncoats is another one that we've gotten a bit of circulation with in my group. It's a coop game where the clock is constantly ticking as you try to finish a job, grabbing as much money as you can before leaving. It usually results in things falling apart and some improvisation, which makes it feel a lot like the show.

Finally got a play of Scythe and it was...okay. I liked it more than I thought I would but it felt very slow and lethargic as you slowly stretch out only to discover half of what you need is in a place you probably won't be able to get to or someone else reaches first. Maybe on another play the puzzle will reveal itself, but it felt like a lot of time was spent waiting to execute plans that would take a series of moves that might just get undone by one player and given how long each turn might take, it felt tedious.

Fate of the Elder Gods is a tight little worker placement game. I like that it's simultaneously about getting what you want while also making other places either completely blocked off or less enticing to the next player. The spell system gives you a way to mitigate some of that so you never feel truly locked out of choices and gives the game a lot of flexibility.

Watson & Holmes plays up to 7 people in a game of deduction as you venture to various sites surrounding a crime and try to answer key questions about the case. It was a fun first game but some of the wording on the cards were a bit suspect and misleading which makes me hope future cases are better written.

Finally got the chance to play a game of Eldrich Horror. It lived up to my expectations. The game oozes theme and a lot of times you're forced to make choices that you know will probably suck but if you don't do will likely cost the whole game which made losing at this game a fun sequence of things gone wrong which feels in the true spirit of cosmic horror.

The 7th Continent has been sitting on my shelf unwrapped since I moved back in with my parents and I finally decided last week to crack it open. What a disappointment. I played a good five hours and the game never hooked me. The initial story hook didn't go anywhere in my hours of play as I explored the island and found the game played as a rather bland survival game with a unsatisfying card action system where I lost by a random card draw instead of something mechanically interesting happening.

Also so much of the game is managing all the cards and shuffling up cards and spreading out this whole map of cards on the table and then discovering you have to go around something which means you shift all the cards down the table and then end up at some dead end. It's just tiresome and the physical act of playing never felt satisfying for what I was supposed to be doing. I love exploration games, but I'm not sure it translates well into this card system The 7th Continent built.

Last night I finally got a play of Hardback in and this game was a lot of fun. I had played Paperback before, which is good, but this one felt like it had more interesting depth to it and I love the push your luck mechanic of drawing more cards but then having to use the extra cards you draw in your word. This is a superb spelling game and I hope to get more plays out of it.

There were a few other games I played and a handful of replays, but that was most of the notable new games I played that I had something to say about. As for the future, I sorted Rising Sun into one box yesterday and I'm hoping to get a play of that sometime soon because it's been hard for my group to get enough people to play for a long enough time. I'm also looking at playing some Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective by myself because while I love playing games with other people, I'm wanting to try solo experiences more as i'm not always in the mood to play games with other people every night.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 01:37:18 PM »
Sam and everyone,

If you could only have one board game, which one would it be?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2018, 02:26:31 PM »
Cosmic Encounter

It's a goofy game with wacky alien races that break the rules of the game. You're never likely to play the same game twice because of the alien power combinations and the whole thing tends to result in laughter, surprise, negotiation, betrayal and most of the emotions I tend to love in gaming.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 03:00:46 PM »
Dominion. My favorite game, and an infinitely replayable one with expansions.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2018, 10:54:37 PM »
Cosmic Encounter

It's a goofy game with wacky alien races that break the rules of the game. You're never likely to play the same game twice because of the alien power combinations and the whole thing tends to result in laughter, surprise, negotiation, betrayal and most of the emotions I tend to love in gaming.

Next game I buy, it's going to be this one! :)) Thanks! With all the games you're familiar with, I know your pick is going to be a lot of fun.

Dominion. My favorite game, and an infinitely replayable one with expansions.

Great choice! I love Dominion. I don't own it, but have a few family members who do, so play when I'm with them. What I enjoy most about it is, I feel like I'm playing against myself almost more than I'm playing against others. Improving my strategies, while adapting to new details, is really rewarding to me.

love