Author Topic: Board Game Banter  (Read 13105 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Board Game Banter
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2018, 11:15:37 PM »
I played Codenames with some friends a while back. I loved it.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2018, 12:16:40 AM »
I was gonna suggest that one too. Very simple but hasn't gotten old for me yet.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2018, 07:29:25 AM »
Ticket to Ride
Harry Potter: Battle of Hogwarts
Dragon Run
Codenames
Latice

Those are probably the games we play the most.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 10:50:28 AM »
Go.

I like strategy games and Go is the simplest of concepts and there is always opportunities to learn with a new opponent.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »

I like that the result never feels at all predetermined. That is to say, before the game has started you can't look at the board and immediately see advantages to certain players based on board position or turn order. Risk, Smallworld, Catan... you play them enough you begin to see the game unfolding before it's even started. And by a quarter of the way into the game things are already leaning towards a certain outcome barring a lucky streak to change the trajectory of the game. Is there anything worse than having to continue playing a game when you're clearly out of contention?

Codenames feels like pure wits and people reading.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 01:34:59 AM »
I played Codenames with some friends a while back. I loved it.

I've played this once. I don't think we really understood the rules well though. We had fun, but I will definitely read up on it before i play again.

Ticket to Ride
Dragon Run
Codenames
Latice

I didn't know there was a Harry Potter board game! I haven't heard of Latice and Dragon Run either. Ticket to Ride is one I really like, because it's fast moving and I love maps. Thanks for the list! I'm interested in looking into these.

Go.

I like strategy games and Go is the simplest of concepts and there is always opportunities to learn with a new opponent.

I've never played this! Next time I'm in the Pacific Northwest, please let me be the new opponent! :)

I like that the result never feels at all predetermined. That is to say, before the game has started you can't look at the board and immediately see advantages to certain players based on board position or turn order. Risk, Smallworld, Catan... you play them enough you begin to see the game unfolding before it's even started. And by a quarter of the way into the game things are already leaning towards a certain outcome barring a lucky streak to change the trajectory of the game. Is there anything worse than having to continue playing a game when you're clearly out of contention?

Nope!

Much like the latter part of all Monopoly sessions.

Codenames feels like pure wits and people reading.

My kind of game!

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »
Ticket to Ride
Dragon Run
Codenames
Latice

I didn't know there was a Harry Potter board game! I haven't heard of Latice and Dragon Run either. Ticket to Ride is one I really like, because it's fast moving and I love maps. Thanks for the list! I'm interested in looking into these.

Oh yea, the HP game is an addictive, cooperative deck building game. Lots of fun! Dragon Run is super simple and easy, perfect for playing with kids! Latice is a newer one for us. I like how complicated and strategic it can be.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 10:49:20 PM »
I have an aversion to cooperative games and would need persuading to come to see their merits. The only ones that make sense are jigsaw puzzles and even then my favorite way to enjoy them is to have two identical puzzles and two teams competing against each other. ‘Cause isn’t that the point of games? Competition? Cooperation should have no place in board games, unless you need to trade sheep for ore for your own benefit. *the dark side of me* :)

Corndog, The fact that you put a cooperative game as one of your favorites is a strong first step toward persuasion. :) The other two are easy to get enthusiastic about!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2018, 01:06:21 AM »
I have an aversion to cooperative games and would need persuading to come to see their merits. The only ones that make sense are jigsaw puzzles and even then my favorite way to enjoy them is to have two identical puzzles and two teams competing against each other. ‘Cause isn’t that the point of games? Competition? Cooperation should have no place in board games, unless you need to trade sheep for ore for your own benefit. *the dark side of me* :)

Preach! :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »