Author Topic: Board Game Banter  (Read 3036 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Board Game Banter
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2020, 06:52:49 AM »
Iíve had Dominion for years but almost never played it because to the degree I do game nights my games donít get picked.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2020, 07:48:53 AM »
Iíve had Dominion for years but almost never played it because to the degree I do game nights my games donít get picked.

Dominion (my favorite game ever) has the issue of not working all that well with more than 3 players, so that might be a factor.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • You're not alone No matter what or who you've been
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2020, 08:33:29 PM »
Love Dominion!

Someone here recommended Beast Bar (I think). It's a cute game and easy to play, so thanks whoever you are! :)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2020, 06:20:56 AM »
Been getting into Azul lately.

It's deceptively simple. The more I play, the more I begin to see strategies I've never thought before and ways to sabotage my opponent's tile sets. It's a lot of fun.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2020, 08:21:44 AM »
Azul is great. I like the Stain Glass variant a bit more but both are great games and worth people's time.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2020, 12:55:26 PM »
Look, I know most of us are social distancing but that doesn't mean playing board games has to stop.

First, I've been using Tabletopia to play some games digitally online with my regular group. The first game we played was Roll Player which I played before but don't think I've mentioned here. It's a dice placement game where the theme is that you are trying to build an RPG character based on some goals you get at the beginning of the game. It's a tight little experience with not too many moving parts. Just enough thinking to make for interesting choices but not too overwhelming.

Then we played Wingspan. I've heard a lot of buzz that this game is amazing and just as much that it's overrated. Well, I could see how it might be overrated as board game fans often are wooed by the cult of the new (It's #20 on BGG, which is way too high), but I thought it was a great engine building game masquerading as a card tableau game. As you lay out three rows of cards of types of birds, you increase the potency of three of your possible four actions, making for all kinds of combos and bonuses. It's got a lot of depth but any given turn you've got an extremely small amount of agency which keeps the game moving briskly and makes it play great. Plus, it looks gorgeous. I could see myself picking up a copy after the pandemic. This is probably the game I'd recommend to people with kids over the age of 10 right now.

That being said, I did get to play one board game with my family for my birthday! We played Bargain Quest, a card drafting board game where you sell the cards you draft to heroes who fight off monsters. You get points for your hero killing the monster and making money so you sometimes balance selling them just enough to fight the monster and survive but with an added deck of chance they may get debuffed. Or you can just sell them junk items and strip them of all their money. That's how my dad ended up pulling a victory as he went after the hero with the most money and sold them as much as possible. Lot of fun, moves fast, has great art. Another great family weight game.

The other thing I've been doing is playing solo games. Not sure if people are familiar, but there are a whole category of board games you can play by yourself. I've been borrowing Friday from a friend and since it's pandemic time and I can't give it back I've played it some more and found out I was playing it wrong and it should be easier now. I still lost by a lot but the game makes a bit more sense now. It's a great little solo deckbuilder that scratches that itch for me as I love a good deckbuilder.

I picked up Onirim which is often touted as one of the best strictly solo games ever made. I can see why. It's a set collection game with fantastic art and lot of interesting things at play in just a deck of cards. I've heard people have gotten hundreds of plays out of that game and I can see that. You can play in about 15 minutes and it's got a great flow to it that makes you want to play one more time. I only played it twice so far but I will be playing it again.

As far as future solo game plays, today I picked up Arkham Horror: The Card Game which can be played two-player but also has a solo mode. I like the idea of a narrative driven card game and the other games in this series are great so I'm hoping for another winner. I'll play it this week and report back soon. Also, I have Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective which will probably get opened this week after sitting on the shelf for years.

Anyone have any recommendations for solo board games? Or just want to talk about what they've been playing as a couple/family while stuck at home?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 01:01:58 PM by Sam the Cinema Snob »

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2020, 02:49:37 PM »
When visiting with family, we unearthed an old game from childhood called Survive, and found a lot of joy in returning to it once again. Does anybody else remember this one?
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »
Are you talking about this one? If you are, it's considered one of the best board games from the 80s. I still haven't played it myself but it looks great.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2020, 03:27:55 PM »
Yep that's the one! But with the original old packaging lol. It's a simple, fun game!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2020, 12:54:35 PM »
Played the first act of Arkham Horror: The Card Game twice with a different character each time and I'm not sure this works well as a solo game. The first time I breezed through it and it wasn't a challenge at all, the second time I had a character that couldn't fight to save her life and simply had to run away. I know some of it was the luck of the draw but the characters felt a little imbalanced and I did some research and that seems to be the consensus. When you play other games in this series you usually play with a larger group so specializing works, here you need to be a bit of everything if you're playing alone. I could play with two characters but that feels a bit too fiddly to me.

Also, the campaign in the box is only three acts which is surprisingly short and disappointing. I'm trying to milk out the playtime by trying the first act multiple times with different characters to see which one I want to continue with. Fantasy Flight is somewhat notorious for trying to hook you in with lots of expansions and I feel like that's the line here. For a game like Android: Netrunner which I could ostensibly play forever that's fine, but this one and done experience feels like it needs more meat on its bones to justify the $40 I dropped on it. I'll play out what's in the box but I'm not sure I want more of it after that. I hear some of the expansions are great but most of them are also out of print which means they're expensive on ebay so this could easily become a money pit game which I'm not interested in right now.

Got to play another match of Scythe virtually with friends and this remains one of my favorite eurogames. It looks like a tactical combat game but it's all about placing workers to harvest resources to do actions to make turns more efficient. This is the third game in a row I've played where no one did combat but there was a lot of posturing as if people were going to fight. I lost by 3 points, which was great. I love it when games are close. My first play I didn't care much for it, but it has grown on me and while I don't think it's one of my favorite games, it's one of those games I'm pretty much always in the mood to play.

Last night I had one of my friend invite me to play Orleans virtually with two of his buddies, one of which I have played some games with and have some trepidation about but he's kinda one of those guys who you can tell has had a hell of a life so you kinda want to cut him some slack. The other guy I had never met face to face. The two ruined the experience. The known quantity constantly complained anytime any rule clarification happened that might have given someone even the slightest possible edge over him. He ended up winning anyways. He does this a lot. And it's usually because he's not listening or talks over the person explaining the rules and misses key rules. The other guy did actions out of order because he said it wouldn't affect anyone but it led to tons of times where the turn order got all out of whack. I used to be more open to the kind of people I'd play with but I think I may never play with either of these guys again. The game should have taken two hours to play. We finished four and a half hours later. Such a bad experience.

The game itself is actually quite good. I don't love it but I think it's a decent game. It's just the choices are a little lighter and less flexible than I would like. It's mostly just being aware of the board state and trying not to get your bag of dudes too bloated so you can consistently get helpful draws from the bag. The novelty of the bag mechanism wore off with this playthrough. It's a cool idea but sometimes you get a bad draw and have an awful turn because of chance that can't be mitigated or controlled in any way. Many other similar games with chance have ways to mitigate this problem and this game has none.

So now I'm back to solo gaming today. Definitely want to play some more Onirim today and may whip out Arkham Horror: The Card Game depending on what the rest of the day looks like.

love