love

Author Topic: #665: Oscar Nominations / Revisiting Last Jedi / Paddington 2  (Read 1040 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
#665: Oscar Nominations / Revisiting Last Jedi / Paddington 2
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:44:23 PM »

With so much good news to celebrate with this year's Oscar nominations, Adam and Josh talk through the nominees for "the big six" awards, along with a few of their wish list and long-shot favorites that didn't make the cut. Listeners then chime in with their thoughts on THE LAST JEDI, with the hosts reflecting on their second helping of Rian Johnson's divisive entry into the Star Wars saga. Plus, Adam adds his voice to the chorus of praise for the consensus best film of the new year so far, PADDINGTON 2.

mp3 | episode details
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: #665: Oscar Nominations / Revisiting Last Jedi / Paddington 2
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 12:45:47 PM »
Note: pixote does not endorse, nor is in any way responsible for, the plagiarism of the above image from #662. :)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 03:23:36 PM »
I also want a Meryl Streep ban.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 04:30:07 PM »
I will say the Space Leia complaint that it's a rug-pull moment is totally legitimate because Disney (in the form of Marvel) has been doing this stupid trick in recent years (BIG HERO 6 & GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY are the biggest offenders). I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that there's an Executive who just mandates this kind of thing down the line in several years, not unlike the famous Kevin Smith spider/WILD WILD WEST story.

Dman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »
I am sooo thrilled that you're going old school Hollywood classic for the next marathon. I love the classics and Vincent Minnelli is definitely one of my favorites. On the other hand, I'm a little bummed that I won't get to hear you review my two favorite Minnelli films, Meet Me in St. Louis and The Bad and the Beautiful but I do understand the preference to watch and discuss films that neither one of you have seen. I can't wait to hear the list. I'm rooting for The Clock starring Judy Garland, another one of Minnelli great non-musical films and one of Garland's best performances. I would be shocked if you have the same reaction to Minnelli's work as you unfortunately had to the Marx Brothers.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »
I am sooo thrilled that you're going old school Hollywood classic for the next marathon. I love the classics and Vincent Minnelli is definitely one of my favorites. On the other hand, I'm a little bummed that I won't get to hear you review my two favorite Minnelli films, Meet Me in St. Louis and The Bad and the Beautiful but I do understand the preference to watch and discuss films that neither one of you have seen. I can't wait to hear the list. I'm rooting for The Clock starring Judy Garland, another one of Minnelli great non-musical films and one of Garland's best performances. I would be shocked if you have the same reaction to Minnelli's work as you unfortunately had to the Marx Brothers.
We're doing St. Louis and Bad. American in Paris is the only one we've both seen.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Dman

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »
We're doing St. Louis and Bad. American in Paris is the only one we've both seen.

Excellent!  :)