Author Topic: Mission: Impossible - Fallout  (Read 264 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Mission: Impossible - Fallout
« on: July 29, 2018, 07:58:26 PM »
In the last scene I SO wanted Michelle Monaghan to peel her face off and reveal Vanessa Redgrave.

Really liked the movie. The set pieces are truly spectacular. I liked Rogue Nation a bit more based on how incredible Rebecca Ferguson was in it.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Mission: Impossible - Fallout
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:12:24 AM »
I am grappling with why I remain unenthusiastic about these movies. As a rule I generally enjoy action movies, even those with a sillier side, like Kingsman or Man from UNCLE. I think MI is just too much though. The whole thing is entirely absurd, and not in the self aware meta way Kingsman is. A group called MIF, the elaborate mission briefings, the possibility to accept the missions or not. I don't remember the other movies enough, but the plot here is paper thin and makes no sense, and I am usually rather plot-driven in my approach to movies such as this. The motivations of the baddies are entirely unconvincing and their machinations entirely too contrived.

Another problem is that I am not such a fan of stuntwork. I thought the bathroom scene was great - I rather like fights as a rule. Endless car or helicopter chases however I find tedious, no matter how well executed, and I care nothing about climbing.

The most egregious thing though, was how the movie posited a universe where the streets of Paris are deserted in the middle of the morning, and where there is anything less than utter traffic gridlock during the morning commute. No car has ever moved at more than three meters per ten minutes around the Arc the Triomphe.

I enjoyed the movie overall, but I cannot muster the level of excitement other people have for the franchise.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/