love

Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 8906 times)

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 12:49:22 PM »
They don't start off by being in a romantic relationship (quite). And there are several degrees of separation between serious relationships and ownership sharing arrangements like marriage and the latest in a series of flings.

He asks her out for dinner then takes her back to his place. It's clear, by social standards, that this is a date. This isn't modern day texting "wanna hang out?", this is 1950s London.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2018, 03:32:34 AM »
I think he was, at first, purely interested in her for her muse potential, but acted out on it in a way that would make anyone confuse it for romantic interest. Certainly he has a single minded focus on his work, and demonstrates throughout the movie that that is pretty much the only thing he cares about. The romance comes later, almost as an afterthought. It seems to me that the whole sleeping with her business was entirely optional, and contingent on some revealed quality of hers (I don't remember what precipitates the event).
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »
It seems to me that he was interested in her more than just "muse potential."  I suppose that's possible, given his odd, self-absorbed nature, but he was giving serious overtones of romantic interest.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2018, 05:32:23 AM »
I don't know, the guy is extremely disagreeable and borderline antisocial. I doubt, before the very end of the movie, he ever harboured more than some lust, and perhaps mild tenderness, towards Ava.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »
I don't know, the guy is extremely disagreeable and borderline antisocial. I doubt, before the very end of the movie, he ever harboured more than some lust, and perhaps mild tenderness, towards Ava.

I'd have to watch it a couple more times before I could draw any conclusions to that.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »

I'd have to watch it a couple more times before I could draw any conclusions to that.

Just eat some mushrooms you masochist
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2018, 03:28:57 PM »
My long-awaited rewatch comes courtesy of HBO. I've been eager to see it again mainly to focus on how Greenwood's beautiful score was used (I've listened to it in isolation many times since my first viewing), but I'm finding myself really enjoying the heck out of everything. In some ways its greatest asset is in casting: the leads, the parade of clients, the old ladies in the workroom. I think I could watch the brilliant Lesley Manville's dour death stare forever.

I can't explain or defend the ending — I'm not very bright that way — but I love the journey.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

love