Author Topic: The Oscars 2018  (Read 4848 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
The Oscars 2018
« on: January 24, 2018, 04:10:57 AM »
...or Academy Awards if you want to be all pedantic about it.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: The Oscars 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 04:50:00 AM »
Coming in hot here:

Still need to catch up with 5 Best Picture nominees. High hopes for all of them, but particularly PTA and The Post. Paradoxically, I am not that excited about this batch overall. Two coming of age movies, which I rarely connect to ; Del Toro has mostly disappointed me in the past ; none of movies I already watched made my Top 10 list. I am still mulling over Three Billboards but the technical awe I have for Dunkirk is a cold one and Darkest Hour fell a bit flat for me. I also just cannot muster the same excitement lots of people have for Get Out.

None of the movies with Actress in a Supporting Role nominations have been released here yet. Sigh.

I didn't even know there was a Denzel movie this year.

I don't think any of my Best Actor nominees will overlap with this list.

I hope Margot Robbie will turn out to be an actress who deserves to be nominated.

The Boss Baby movie is acceptable at best and I cannot imagine Ferdinand is a splendid example of storytelling either. This is a sad year for animated movies. And Your Name. wasn't even nominated? What? Because TBB is better? What about The LEGO Batman?
Screw you, Oscar.

Deakins should clearly win, despite Hoytema's splendid work. Darkest Hour only has a few remarkable shots. I haven't seen two of these but The Last Jedi should have made the cut.

Ugh. Victoria & Abdul can brag about a nomination now? What was that other British movie about India? That one was slightly more deserving. As were plenty of other things I am sure.

Dunkirk totally deserves the Best Director nomination. Get Out? Meh....maybe?

Only two of the Documentaries interest me. And two of the shorts. Or maybe three. I hope I shall be able to find them on the web.

I didn't notice the editing in Three Billboards. Dunkirk is an obvious choice. Baby Driver, in some specific scenes, sure, but overall?

I kinda feel bad I missed A fantastic Woman. Maybe I can still find it somewhere (looks a bit like a drag though). Glad I could watch The Square. The other ones haven't been released. I haven't even heard of two of them.

Only three nominees for Makeup? And ugh, Victoria & Abdul again.

Hey, The Last Jedi, finally. Glad to see Williams get nominated for reworking a score of forty years ago. (Kidding, I know he did more than that.) Hans Zimmer, sure. I didn't notice the score much in TBOEM. Blade Runner had a good score too.

I just noticed The Big Sick got no nominations so far. SMH.

I just looked at my Top 10. Their Finest had better costumes than Victoria & Abdul. And it's British too. What the horse, Oscar?

Remember Me was mediocre and forgettable. This Is Me was not the best song in the movie but it was okay.

Not sure what Production Design is. Wasn't the set of Beauty and the Beast a bit stale? Can't remember well enough. BR2049 though...

No World of Tomorrow 2 this year? Hum...

The Sound Editing and Mixing nominees are literally the exact same. I wonder if this is a recurrent thing. I guess I am happy to see TLJ recognised for anything at this point?

Ah, Visual Effects. It now occurs to me Andy Serkis was snubbed again. All the nominees are great. Maybe Thor was better than Kong?

Sorkin nominated in Writing, of course (although I don't think he'll be on my ballot). Pretty sure he's the Merrill Streep of writing at this point. Logan is a surprise. A welcome one. Great to see The Big Sick, finally. Three Billboards will be controversial.

Once again, action movies get colossally snubbed. Rian Johnson deserved more recognition than a couple of measly technical nominations. Nothing for Fassbender in Covenant. Wonder Woman, interestingly, did not get a single nod, despite all the talk - not that I am not complaining, I wouldn't give it anything either.

I know I had watched bot Moonlight and La La Land, if nothing else, around this time last year. This time around I don't know who the favourites are or what my favourites are. Very annoying.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 06:07:20 AM »
The Boss Baby and Ferdinand were on about a par (not that good).

Serkis misses again, what a surprise.

I do agree this year seems flat.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 06:20:53 AM »
Pretty sure Your Name would have been in the Oscars race last year, not this year. And World of Tomorrow 2 isn't actually very good.

Anyway, stop harshing my buzz. I thought this was one of the more exciting years of nominations. Freshness and vigor. But then my top three movies are Get Out, The Shape of Water and Lady Bird.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 06:35:46 AM »
I do agree this year seems flat.

I said nothing of the sort. I haven't seen half of the Best Picture nominees. I was only commenting on the few films I knew about.

Anyway, stop harshing my buzz.

You've seen Lady Bird already. You don't get to complain.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 08:26:17 AM »
The three Best Picture nominees I haven't seen are The Post, Phantom Thread and Darkest Hour. I could go see all of them in the theatre but I just cannot work up any enthusiasm for the latter two. For tonight I found out that The Florida Project is still playing on one screen here so that will be my priority.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 08:52:54 AM »
It is a sad day when people are not excited by a new PTA movie anymore.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 09:09:57 AM »
For tonight I found out that The Florida Project is still playing on one screen here so that will be my priority.
Wow, am I excited to read about this. I could see this going a number of ways. Most interested to get your reaction to Bria Vinaite.

I've been like that since 2012. I got comfortable with it in 2014.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:12:21 AM by 1SO »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 09:42:42 AM »

Are you taking into consideration that I hate PTA’s movies?

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »
I make great efforts to always forget there are people who hate PTA.