love

Author Topic: Manga  (Read 1270 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Manga
« on: January 25, 2018, 07:44:44 PM »
I don't see a thread on this. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any particular manga expertise. I've read Pluto, but that's about the extent, and would love any recommendations. I just got the first two Your Name volumes, will get to those soon, maybe after I see the movie. I'd also like to read some Battle Angel Alita before the Alita film comes out this year.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Manga
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 09:13:11 PM »
If you have any interest in Miyazaki's Nausicaa world, I highly recommend the manga.  It's not easy to see (Miyazaki said that he wouldn't do another manga because he's "not good at it"), but it gives a full rendering of the world that the movie heavily edits.

I'm a fan of Osamu Tezuka.  My favorite of his is the Buddha series, but also Metropolis, later Astro Boy (where the fourth wall is completely destroyed) and Phoenix.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:53:57 AM »
If you liked Pluto, I'd recommend tracking down Urasawa's other series, Monster (which at one point Guillermo Del Toro was going to adapt for HBO) and 20th Century Boys.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 01:16:37 AM »
Awesome recommendations! Definitely going to check out more by Urasawa. I haven't seen Nausicaa, so maybe that's worth putting on the Netflix queue.

Is Tezuka's Metropolis the source material for the film Metropolis? I love that movie. Will have to check out Astro Boy, too, sounds interesting.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 03:50:44 AM »
If you liked Pluto, I'd recommend tracking down Urasawa's other series, Monster (which at one point Guillermo Del Toro was going to adapt for HBO) and 20th Century Boys.

roujin, did you watch the anime of Monster? I watched a few episodes but never felt compelled to go back to it. I can see a tightened version of it being turned into great R rated television.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/