love

Author Topic: Categories that should exist in Oscar  (Read 1065 times)

matbezlima

Categories that should exist in Oscar
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:30:42 AM »
https://youtu.be/5Y5-xVdu_dU

Watchmojo released hours ago a new video with 5 categories that they think that should be in Oscar. The video and theme is pretty interesting, so let's debate this here.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Categories that should exist in Oscar
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 11:19:30 AM »
I feel like some of this maybe is in tech Oscars?

All seem like good additions except genre film because that is a bit hard to define anyway. Of course, the show is long enough without more awards, though I’m a fan of pushing sound, makeup and costumes to the ancillary show.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »
Sound getting split into 2 categories is stupid. The argument is that it's two separate skills. You know what else is two separate skills? Makeup, which folds in Hairstyling. Cinematography is a combination of Lighting, Framing and Camera Movement, which involves Camera, Electric and Grip. That's 3 departments that never cross over. Art Direction includes Set Dressing and Props. And now ALL of these are enhanced by Visual Effects.

Reduce Sound to One Category
Get rid of the 3 Short categories.
Revamp Foreign Language to either be truly All Inclusive, or own up to it being a Hollywood Awards show and limit the nominees to films that were released in the US during the calendar year, just like other Oscar categories. No more using the Oscar nomination or win to launch a marketing campaign for release the following year.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
There's an argument for doing away with Actor/Actress distinction and just making Best Lead Performance and Best Supporting Performance. Maybe have Comedic and Dramatic splits to each though.

That said, while by all rights it makes no sense to have a gender split for acting awards, one worries that, at least historically, this would just mean exclusion of female actors as male roles had been taken more seriously perhaps.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 05:07:37 AM »
I believe in the male/female split in acting, both intrinsically, and because of the reason you mention.

I don't watch the show so I don't care about the total quantity of categories. I don't have any disagreement with those the video proposes. 1SO's logic is also sound to me.

I mostly care about recognising pictures the Oscars continuously snub, ie genre movies and foreign films.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 05:31:11 AM »
My guess is that Lead Actor (gender neutral) would actually favor women (every year it seems Actress is much more competitive than actor recently), but Supporting would favor men. I think the main problem is not so much that as the simple fact that it means less awards for famous people.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd