Author Topic: Guess the film by reading a Filmspotter's review!  (Read 20523 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Guess the film by reading a Filmspotter's review!
« Reply #230 on: May 14, 2018, 09:21:02 PM »
Lets see if this is enough to get it:

The acting was great. Everybody knows this by now. What really got me was the direction here. The camera is always in an interesting position with the characters taking up only a bit of the screen space and a majority of the film shot with really wide lenses (there's a shot from above where I'm sure we see like 100 degrees or something). I'm not sure right now what this all means but I think it's something about the uncomfortable-ness that [character] feels for most of his life (the super wide shots mostly disappear during the big finale and [character] is framed front and center taking up most of the frame). It's really cool. It also looks gorgeous.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #231 on: June 04, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
Wild guess:

A Serious Man

Dave the Necrobumper

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2018, 06:12:52 PM »
Tree of Life
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #233 on: June 05, 2018, 10:32:33 PM »
Shoot, it's been too long. Even I don't know the answer anymore :)) I think maybe it was a Junior review.

I don't think it's Tree of Life or Serious Man.

edit: time for a new one I guess if anyone would like to go
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:38:02 PM by smirnoff »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2018, 12:02:50 AM »
Okay, let's try this:

[Film} is simply one of the most emotionally healthy films about bereavement I have ever seen. And, even more than classics like Bambi, The Lion King, and [another film], the film is intently focused on the hardship and the unexpected beauty that comes from grieving for another person. Grieving were huge parts of those other films, but they are the focus of [film] and I find it invaluable and refreshing to have a film that takes on that issue. For children and for everyone else too. The film does not peddle in easy answers and it does not presume to know what lies beyond death.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #235 on: June 06, 2018, 12:20:06 AM »
Shoot, it's been too long. Even I don't know the answer anymore :)) I think maybe it was a Junior review.

I don't think it's Tree of Life or Serious Man.

edit: time for a new one I guess if anyone would like to go

It was Junior's review of The King's Speech.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2018, 11:33:12 AM »
Okay, let's try this:

[Film} is simply one of the most emotionally healthy films about bereavement I have ever seen. And, even more than classics like Bambi, The Lion King, and [another film], the film is intently focused on the hardship and the unexpected beauty that comes from grieving for another person. Grieving were huge parts of those other films, but they are the focus of [film] and I find it invaluable and refreshing to have a film that takes on that issue. For children and for everyone else too. The film does not peddle in easy answers and it does not presume to know what lies beyond death.
Bridge to Terabithia?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »
The Accidental Tourist

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2018, 03:21:09 PM »
Up?

Sandy? (total guess there)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2018, 04:35:12 PM »
Some good guesses.  Let's try another quote:

[Movie] is a children’s film that knows we never stop being children. This is especially true when we are at the feet of a great storyteller. It doesn’t matter how old you are. If you are there listening to the tale, you must turn off the chatter in your head in your soul, inch closer to the fire, and pay very close attention.

Original passage:

love