love

Author Topic: Top 100 Club: JDC  (Read 5467 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Top 100 Club: JDC
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2020, 11:58:06 PM »
I put that on now and then just to watch the bit where the drummer comes out and plays that first song. It's got one of my favourite shots of the show, when they do a slow 360 around him. I like his happy drumming and the fact he's dresses like a substitute teacher. :))

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2020, 12:21:26 AM »
I’d like to rewatch Stop Making Sense because I don’t remember it all all, and that  doesn’t seem right.

The only two on your list I haven’t see is Deep Water, about which I have little interest and  Carnal Knowledge, which I think I should see.

Stop; Making Sense

Better late than never?  I am saying that both for jdc’s club time and for watching Stop Making Sense.  My mild Talking Head fandom is long past and I had imagined that I watched this movie long ago.  Spoiler: I didn’t watch it at all.. So here I am, tail between my legs in full apology mode.

As to the film: It is certainly a great concert film.  Nothing that special about the filming, above other concert films, but the concert itself was as unique as the Talking Heads.  That is, full of new wave art and pretty stuck in the 80s.  And that’s not a bad thing.  The 80s were an okay time for music and innovation, but I rarely find my past fascination with new wave to be replicated today.   The concert has energy and a constant requirement to keep the audience’s attention.  “Look at me shake!  Look at me wear the big suit!”  Okay, David, got it. 

Honestly, I couldn’t keep my attention on the visual.  My eyes wandered.  But my ears are still fascinated by the music and lyrics and the messages.  So while the concert might not keep me attentive, the music of Talking Heads still  is entertaining and cutting. 

3.5/5

No need to be sorry, one thing about Concert films is that they work in pieces as well as a whole.  I usually watch the first 10 songs if I put it in and still may skip 1 or 2. 

Though I grew up in the 80's, this wasn't my 80's. I was more into Deep Purple, Dio, Ozzy/BS, Iron Maiden.  This new wave stuff was crap to me... What can I say, I was young and stupid and felt that every song should have a loud guitar and fast solo.

It took 20 years later for me to start discovering the other 80's music that I shunned back then. I knew of the Talking Heads since they came on MTV while watching for some good music to play but never got it.  This was a wake up call when I did a blind buy on the Bluray and first watched it. It then got me interested to go back to listen to other bands around that time.. who knew my sister was right about the Police?

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2020, 12:23:26 AM »
I put that on now and then just to watch the bit where the drummer comes out and plays that first song. It's got one of my favourite shots of the show, when they do a slow 360 around him. I like his happy drumming and the fact he's dresses like a substitute teacher. :))

Yeah.. he looks like the most non-musician musician I have ever seen. 
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2020, 12:25:11 AM »

While I watch this, others in the house come in the room one by one, stop in their tracks and ask, "What is this?" and either stay for a while, or shake their heads and walk away. I can't explain or defend it; I'm just laughing. They can laugh with me, or they can scoff. It's their choice and their loss if they don't get it. After all, if there's one thing I learned from the Filmspotting boards, it's "humor is subjective." :)

The movie is "just a bit of silliness really," but becomes a perfect escape during this hectic month.

This one just gave me the giggles when I first saw it and can still make me laugh if I just think about it even though it is at least 10 years or more since I watched it. I always thought it so much better then Kung Fu Hustle though that one seemed to have been the bigger hit.