love

Author Topic: Top 100 Club: JDC  (Read 25033 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Top 100 Club: JDC
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 01:29:57 PM »
I think I'm gonna try to see Margaret. I assume the extended cut?

I bought the Bluray set that had the regular cut on Blu-ray and the extended cut on DVD.  Personally, I would go with the shorter version which is already 2hrs 30 mins. I have watched shorter version a 2 or 3  times and the extended cut once. I think the extended version is about 30 minutes longer but it only really clarifies one scene/conversation. But that really doesn't have an impact on the overall story.

If you go with the shorter version, I would be willing to bet you would know which question is clarified in the extended version. But either way, I am not sure it changes the film

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 04:05:57 AM »
Sleeping Dogs Lie
There's a strong melancholy to Robert Goldthwait's screenplay that elevates this premise from the deep depths and gives it some humanity. It's a tough initial pill to swallow, especially when Amy's reasoning is so unclear. I don't want to judge, so let's just say if she'll do something like that "in the moment" it could make her more interesting if that was part of the suppression in her upbringing or something that would surface to cause moral harm more than just that one time. As is, it's more outrageous attention grabber to sell the film than something seriously considered, which you can't say for everything that follows.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 04:40:42 AM »
I get the sense that you do appreciate it at some level. I never focused on what she did that eventually drives what happens in the film. It is not reasonably explained but I guess it could have been anything that would be difficult for your partner to understand or except once they know about it. I do love her performance, especially once she realized that our partners really do not need to know everything about is.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 10:36:05 AM »
I did and I prefer it to World's Greatest Dad, which has Robin Williams giving his all but everything else around him was pretty poor, including a similar son character who is criminally anti-social. You can just compare those two characters and there's a more realistic foundation to the son in Dogs, with more notes to play.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »
jdc, there are a lot of films in your top 100 I'm interested in seeing, but these are the three I'll get to this month.

American Psycho
Best in Show
This is Spinal Tap

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 06:49:12 PM »
jdc, there are a lot of films in your top 100 I'm interested in seeing, but these are the three I'll get to this month.

American Psycho
Best in Show
This is Spinal Tap

I see you are going for comedies

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 08:22:16 PM »
mother! (2017)

Well, I guess it was never likely I was going to slide in with a C+ review of this film, known as it is for strong, divided opinions. Looking at jdc's top 100, dark and often discombobulating cinematic vision is very common and this certainly fits that bill. That is much less my taste.

I'm not sure if this is a film that exactly disproves my sense that you know if you'll like a film after 15 minutes, because at 15 minutes I didn't like it and ultimately I didn't like it. But at the 3/4 mark of the film I at least somewhat got a grasp for what it was trying to do, even if I found the way it went about it too completely off-putting to appreciate it.*

I saw mention of it as a tortured artist-muse sort of dynamic, and there is certainly some of that, making my viewings for the week a thematic double feature with Phantom Thread. But once the biblical themes sunk in for me, it certainly felt more of a critique of religion's corruption of nature (or science...apparently Aronofsky blamed the lack of success of the film on people not getting science or something), with the God-artist in part to blame, than something with the artistic reverence of Phantom Thread. Or maybe that critique was just a front for the creator myth after all, which is less fulfilling. I don't know.

*This could be a film that grows over time when the immediate visceral disgust fades and the message lingers. Ask me again in a few months.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »
The World of Kanako - I tried. I tried to get through the messy narrative that can't stay focused on the same timeline for longer than 30 consecutive seconds. I tried to look past the muddled Seijun Suzuki-via-Quentin Tarantino 70's-exploitation-wannabe styling. I tried to stomach the protagonist's lack of any character traits besides "violently angry", and Kōji Yakusho's "shouting all my lines is interesting, right?" performance. I almost bailed half an hour in, when our (anti)hero viciously rapes his ex-wife, but I felt compelled to see it through, especially since I missed last month's Top 100 Club.

I only made it another 15-20 minutes. I was getting nothing out of it except annoyance and disgust. I just don't have the patience for this kind of rampant nihilism anymore. I suppose this film is not very different at all from I Stand Alone, a film in my top 250, but I guess I saw that one at a time when I was more open to that kind of thing.

So I watched about a third of this movie and had enough. I probably won't get to another movie this month.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 05:21:26 AM »
The Godfather (1972 Francis Ford Coppola)

Years ago when I first heard of The Godfather and the horse head scene I assumed this was going to be a movie with a lot of nasty organised crime violence. I was not interested in watching such a film. Later as I desensitised myself to movie violence it was a matter of just never getting around to it. Well thank to jdc and the US Netflix I have finally watched it. Not what I expected.

This is a family drama, set amongst a crime family. So while there is violence and death, there is domesticity, often with groups of men cooking and dining together. This is a long film and there was a few times where I felt that length, in particular the beginning and nearish the end. My main problem, other than the lulls, was time passed within the movie was hard to keep track of. The bruise on Pacino eye, the apparent son of Pacino, just did not fit with other parts of the stated time-flow.

Still what a film, pitch perfect performances and a tension that was just beautifully held. I am glad I did not know about the assassination attempt on Brando, it left me wondering where the film was going. One of my favourite bits was the introduction to Sterling Hayden, I knew who it was, but the shadowing of his face was masterful.

Rating: 81/100

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 07:38:49 AM »
Years ago when I first heard of The Godfather and the horse head scene I assumed this was going to be a movie with a lot of nasty organised crime violence. I was not interested in watching such a film. Later as I desensitised myself to movie violence it was a matter of just never getting around to it. Well thank to jdc and the US Netflix I have finally watched it. Not what I expected.

I first saw this about 5 or 6 years ago and spent the whole wedding sequence waiting for the rival gang to drive in and start blasting everyone. I had forgotten that films weren't always a wall to wall assault.

love