love

Author Topic: Top 100 Club: JDC  (Read 25035 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Top 100 Club: JDC
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 08:09:51 PM »
mother! (2017)

*This could be a film that grows over time when the immediate visceral disgust fades and the message lingers. Ask me again in a few months.

Will do, I hope it sinks in a bit more. I was somewhat worried you might would find it more misogynistic has been brought up a few times around here as well in reviews. But I probably shouldn't jump to conclusions

The World of Kanako - I tried. I tried to get through the messy narrative that can't stay focused on the same timeline for longer than 30 consecutive seconds. I tried to look past the muddled Seijun Suzuki-via-Quentin Tarantino 70's-exploitation-wannabe styling. I tried to stomach the protagonist's lack of any character traits besides "violently angry", and Kōji Yakusho's "shouting all my lines is interesting, right?" performance. I almost bailed half an hour in, when our (anti)hero viciously rapes his ex-wife, but I felt compelled to see it through, especially since I missed last month's Top 100 Club.

I only made it another 15-20 minutes. I was getting nothing out of it except annoyance and disgust. I just don't have the patience for this kind of rampant nihilism anymore. I suppose this film is not very different at all from I Stand Alone, a film in my top 250, but I guess I saw that one at a time when I was more open to that kind of thing.

So I watched about a third of this movie and had enough. I probably won't get to another movie this month.

Sorry it seems to have given you such a bad experience, it is not easy or pleasent but strangly hynpnotic as it builds. Plus, I sometimes just like a truly evil character which Konoko is in a chilling way. I heard of I Stand Alone before but it was difficult for me to find and I previously gave up on it. I will scrub my sources again.

The Godfather (1972 Francis Ford Coppola)

Years ago when I first heard of The Godfather and the horse head scene I assumed this was going to be a movie with a lot of nasty organised crime violence. I was not interested in watching such a film. Later as I desensitised myself to movie violence it was a matter of just never getting around to it. Well thank to jdc and the US Netflix I have finally watched it. Not what I expected.

This is a family drama, set amongst a crime family. So while there is violence and death, there is domesticity, often with groups of men cooking and dining together. This is a long film and there was a few times where I felt that length, in particular the beginning and nearish the end. My main problem, other than the lulls, was time passed within the movie was hard to keep track of. The bruise on Pacino eye, the apparent son of Pacino, just did not fit with other parts of the stated time-flow.

Still what a film, pitch perfect performances and a tension that was just beautifully held. I am glad I did not know about the assassination attempt on Brando, it left me wondering where the film was going. One of my favourite bits was the introduction to Sterling Hayden, I knew who it was, but the shadowing of his face was masterful.

Rating: 81/100

I just recently rewatched Parts 1 and 2 with my wife as she had never seen them before. It was difficult to get her to watch them as she doesn't like gangster films in general (violence is fine though) nor understand why I would want to rewatch a film. Eventually, I wore her down and got her to watch, she had very similar comments as you but probably a bit higher love. 

I assume you hadn't watch Part 2, so please do so, many would argue that it is better. They probably are not correct but they possibly have a case.

Now.. given my wife also doesn't like war films, I am now trying to get her to watch Apocalypse Now. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »
I took my wife to see Apocalypse Now at a rerun cinema a few years back, she only made it half way through before indicating that she did not want to watch the rest of the film. I hope you have better luck. Part 2 and 3 are on the US Netflix so I am going to try and get to them.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 07:46:01 PM »
Sleeping Dogs Lie (2006)

Or my preferred title, Marley and Ooh My. Though the word in the title that will get the most attention given the plot details is dog, it's really lie that is doing the heavy lifting here as this absurdist comedy probes the ethical question of how honest one should be with others, particularly romantic partners, about their sexual history. It seems to partner well with Chasing Amy which comes at the issue from a different angle, and I'd argue a more satisfying one ultimately.

I think 1SO hits on a point that could have stood to be developed more. The film, in part of its absurdity that I found a bit tough to deal with generally, paints Amy's parents as extremely strict, keeping her and her fiancee in different rooms during their visit. I suppose the implication exists that her action could have been a response to the repression, but she never broaches this when dealing with the aftershocks of the revelation to indicate it is the reason. I guess ultimately I didn't find it as funny as I might have hoped, I didn't find the thematic strands to be clearly enough woven, and the acting on the whole was a bit stilted. Unfortunately I don't really see it.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 08:33:00 PM »
Sleeping Dogs Lie (2006)

Or my preferred title, Marley and Ooh My. Though the word in the title that will get the most attention given the plot details is dog, it's really lie that is doing the heavy lifting here as this absurdist comedy probes the ethical question of how honest one should be with others, particularly romantic partners, about their sexual history. It seems to partner well with Chasing Amy which comes at the issue from a different angle, and I'd argue a more satisfying one ultimately.

I think 1SO hits on a point that could have stood to be developed more. The film, in part of its absurdity that I found a bit tough to deal with generally, paints Amy's parents as extremely strict, keeping her and her fiancee in different rooms during their visit. I suppose the implication exists that her action could have been a response to the repression, but she never broaches this when dealing with the aftershocks of the revelation to indicate it is the reason. I guess ultimately I didn't find it as funny as I might have hoped, I didn't find the thematic strands to be clearly enough woven, and the acting on the whole was a bit stilted. Unfortunately I don't really see it.

Chasing Amy is one I plan to rewatch (I think it is on my Netflix), having not seen it since it originally came out. I just remember that I thought it was pretty good but I remember very little of it other than the basic plot.

I never really needed a reason or to understand her act that triggers the conflict.  It is absurd and I don't think there is any kind of explanation that easily make it seem like, "well, now that you put it that way..." to most people. Likewise, I am not sure I would ever understand the story of her boyfriend that made her feel comfortable enough to reveal her dark secret. It just seems wanted to use something very absurd to drive a story around those questions of how open and honest should you be with your partner.

It has been quite a few years since I last watched this film and it usually has been sitting just below my Top 100 films in the list of potential films. I have gone back and forth every time I revise this list wondering if I should include it or not. But I am glad I did as it at least got some new attention even if not really successful. 
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 12:01:48 AM »
Best in Show

My how we love our dogs. The line between owners and pets lose focus, as they endear themselves to each other and take on one another's characteristics, even to the point of looking alike. And my how we love our mockumentaries! With the familiar cast of improv wonders, so goofy and also endearing, because everyone stays in character and plays the scenes as if they're legit. With this style of filming, I suspect there are loads of gems left on the editing room floor for brevity sake. I laughed a lot and thought about our filmspotters' pets and how we are richer for our furry friends and their companionship. I don't have a dog right now, but I do have a very cute mutt named Shadow, who I claim, since he is my daughter and son-in-law's. He was a rescue dog and has many talents. He might not be best in show, but he did get 2nd place at the Purina Dog Challenge this last fall. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=116&v=PwZnLoCrYPo&t=40m07s

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 07:21:09 PM »
Best in Show
I don't have a dog right now, but I do have a very cute mutt named Shadow, who I claim, since he is my daughter and son-in-law's. He was a rescue dog and has many talents. He might not be best in show, but he did get 2nd place at the Purina Dog Challenge this last fall. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=116&v=PwZnLoCrYPo&t=40m07s

What a great dog your children have there.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 02:18:00 AM »
Requiem for a Dream

It's been several years since I watched this last... though there was a time in my life when I watched it more frequently and had it in my own top 100. I wondered if revisiting it now might rekindle that level of fondness for it.

I can report that nothing about the film has softened over the years. The music and editing are relentless, which I love because of how it keeps your attention.

Nothing new resonating from this experience though. It's very much the film I remember it to be, no more, no less. It's a sad horrible circling of the drain sort of film. Quality sad filmmaking.

It's hard to pin down what changed inside me to make me pull back some from a film like this. When I first watched this I also liked Metallica, and speed boats and other things young guys are drawn too. These days I listen to female vocal jazz and dream of owning a sailboat. Maybe I've found better sources of thrills these days, or maybe adult life has enough intensity as it is. I hate to sum it up and say "you get older, you change", but that's probably a part of the truth.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 02:32:06 AM »
I was beginning to think everybody has been seeing too much misery in the world and decided to boycott my list of films.

Requiem for a Dream

It's been several years since I watched this last... though there was a time in my life when I watched it more frequently and had it in my own top 100. I wondered if revisiting it now might rekindle that level of fondness for it.

I can report that nothing about the film has softened over the years. The music and editing are relentless, which I love because of how it keeps your attention.

Nothing new resonating from this experience though. It's very much the film I remember it to be, no more, no less. It's a sad horrible circling of the drain sort of film. Quality sad filmmaking.

It's hard to pin down what changed inside me to make me pull back some from a film like this. When I first watched this I also liked Metallica, and speed boats and other things young guys are drawn too. These days I listen to female vocal jazz and dream of owning a sailboat. Maybe I've found better sources of thrills these days, or maybe adult life has enough intensity as it is. I hate to sum it up and say "you get older, you change", but that's probably a part of the truth.

Perhaps you are becoming better adjusted than I have. But then, we also have some similar changes. I was a Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden fan and also now mostly listen to a lot of jazz.  Maybe I can interest you in my favorite singer/writer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8uHjFaZTM

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 03:09:43 AM »
I'll add her to my spotify. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »
The Squid and the Whale

Never have I been as irritated at Jeff Daniels and Jesse Eisenberg as I was in the first ten minutes of this film.  If I'd never seen them before, I would have left this film, hated them, and never sought them out again.  As it was, I have a history with these actors, so I could forgive them a bit.

Frankly, I sometimes have trouble with Bombach's characters.  Greenberg stands out.  Wow, do I hate that guy.  Even Greta Gerwig couldn't save that movie.  I do love Mistress America, but I've struggled with Bombach's films because these people are so terribly, desperately self-centered.  They can't see how they hurt the people around them.

As I go deeper into the Squid and the Whale, however, I realize that the situation is more complex.  Not complex enough for me to forgive Daniels' character, but complex enough to know that the biting comments and callous behavior might have cause.  I'm glad I watched it.  The Bombach universe makes a lot more sense with this film as a key.  People are complex and there are multiple causes.  Sure, there is self-interest, but there is also pain for good cause.  It helps me see that Bombach's societal universe and mine might not be as far apart as I thought.

I still like Mistress America better. :)

3.5/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky