Author Topic: Top 100 Club: JDC  (Read 3007 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Top 100 Club: JDC
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2018, 07:04:01 PM »
 :D

I kept thinking of this as Bateman pontificated,

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/c22ac363-9514-4f16-87ef-a317615e080f
"I'm a new day rising."

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »
I think that is a fair statement.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2018, 08:23:21 PM »
This is Spinal Tap

In ancient times,
Tens of years before the dawn of Auto-Tune
Lived a skiffle/rhythm and blues band , the (New) Originals

No one remembers who they were or what they were doing
But their legacy remains
Filmed into the historical document, This is Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap! Where drummers are a dime a dozen
On account of spontaneous human combustion
Spinal Tap! Where a man's a man
Until he's busted with an airport scan

Hey!
Spinal Tap! 'Tis a magic place
Where they will rise above disgrace
Just when the band begins to think they are done
Sex Farm becomes a hit in the Land of the Rising Sun
"I'm a new day rising."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2018, 08:47:21 PM »
Love it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2018, 10:27:43 PM »
Who can top that?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2018, 11:17:54 PM »
Thanks, Junior and oldkid.  :)
"I'm a new day rising."

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2018, 05:16:25 PM »

Stop Making Sense  (Jonathan Demme, 1984)

I thought this was the month I was finally going to watch Shaolin Soccer (spurred on by World Cup fever), but it continues to bother me that I don't have easy access to a definitive version of the movie. And I refuse to watch the Miramax cut. It's been seventeen years. Shouldn't there be a US Blu-Ray of the original cut by now? Sheesh.

It's possible that having to settle for Jonathan Demme's Talking Heads concert film put me in a hypercritical mood while watching it, but I was surprised that it wasn't quite as polished as I always imagined to be. This was particularly true of the editing, which seemed overly restless early on and injudicious after that. There were a few instances where there was nothing going on in the frame at the end of a shot, and I was just baffled that, with however many cameras running, the editor had nothing better to cut to. It's the kind of thing you occasionally see if a live telecast, but not a feature film.

Being less nit-picky, I found it odd that the film barely acknowledges the presence of the concert audience until the very end. It added to my own detachment as a viewer, turning the show into a series of minimalist music videos that could just as easily have been shot on a sound stage. There was a bit of sameness to the first few performances as well, in terms of the lighting and staging. I liked the conceit of the full band forming piece by piece, but I was admittedly restless nonetheless.

The music is good, however, and David Byrne is a very lifelike robot, operating with inhuman precision but still contributing heavily to all the sweat that threatened to puddle up on stage. The very distinctive 80s vibe had me wondering just how coke-infused all that perspiration was.

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2018, 10:52:05 PM »
The music is good, however, and David Byrne is a very lifelike robot, operating with inhuman precision but still contributing heavily to all the sweat that threatened to puddle up on stage. The very distinctive 80s vibe had me wondering just how coke-infused all that perspiration was.

pixote

Having listen to the story on The Tobolosky Files that outlines how Steven met David Byrnes and bacme the screen writer for Strange Stories (and in an odd way, is responsible for the band Radiohead getting their name), Byrne's is a very clean guy. Steven Tobolosky was doing coke in those days but Byrnes would touch anything like that.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2019, 08:50:25 PM »
For this month, I'd like to give ANOMALISA a shot and revisit THE BIG SHORT
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2019, 10:13:47 PM »
JDC's list is full of films I know are good, but the characters are so off-putting that I struggle to enjoy the experience. I'vr seen many of them and it makes me afraid of what's left.

Happiness is the highest film on the list I haven't seen, followed by The World of Kanako and Antichrist. But I think maybe I'll check out The Descendants. :)