Author Topic: Top 100 Club: JDC  (Read 2918 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Top 100 Club: JDC
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2019, 10:48:05 PM »
JDC's list is full of films I know are good, but the characters are so off-putting that I struggle to enjoy the experience. I'vr seen many of them and it makes me afraid of what's left.

Happiness is the highest film on the list I haven't seen, followed by The World of Kanako and Antichrist. But I think maybe I'll check out The Descendants. :)

For sure, The Descendants is the best choice then.  The others are a struggle for sure though Happiness is funny.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2019, 11:26:43 PM »
Happiness is the highest film on the list I haven't seen, followed by The World of Kanako and Antichrist. But I think maybe I'll check out The Descendants. :)

I just watched Happiness a couple weeks ago. It's uncomfortable as hell, but I highly recommend it!
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2019, 01:23:46 AM »
It sounds like it could be tough, but not hopeless. I could handle that if that's the case.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2019, 07:08:16 AM »
Looks like my two options are The World of Kanako and Naked Lunch.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2019, 11:45:26 AM »
I have Samsara?
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2019, 08:23:24 PM »
I’d like to rewatch Stop Making Sense because I don’t remember it all all, and that  doesn’t seem right.

The only two on your list I haven’t see is Deep Water, about which I have little interest and  Carnal Knowledge, which I think I should see.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2019, 09:30:46 PM »
I’d like to rewatch Stop Making Sense because I don’t remember it all all, and that  doesn’t seem right.

The only two on your list I haven’t see is Deep Water, about which I have little interest and  Carnal Knowledge, which I think I should see.

Not sure how anybody could forget Stop Making Sense;)  though I know others have shunned or have little interest in concert films so it failed for a few. I was not really a Talking Heads fan and this one showed me the errors in my ways.  But even now, I revisit this more often than just listen to their music

My love for Deep Water was probably tied more to having loved the book, A Voyage For Madmen.  Not sure if I would keep the doc up there now having not revisited it in so long. But certainly better than the movie based on the same, The Mercy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3319730/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

Carnal Knowledge also needs a re-watch for me. I've watched it a number of times when I was younger and was a favorite but not likely seen it in 25 years. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2019, 10:26:02 PM »
I watched Deep Water for a previous Top 100 Club and found it fascinating.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2019, 10:26:42 PM »
ooh! I recently watched Anomalisa, so I'll write something about that one too. The other ones I'd like to see this time around are Ex Machina and Shaolin Soccer.
"I'm a new day rising."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2019, 10:51:38 PM »
There are two films called Samsara. Is yours 2001 or 2011?
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad