Author Topic: Top 100 Club: JDC  (Read 25068 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Top 100 Club: JDC
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2020, 11:58:06 PM »
I put that on now and then just to watch the bit where the drummer comes out and plays that first song. It's got one of my favourite shots of the show, when they do a slow 360 around him. I like his happy drumming and the fact he's dresses like a substitute teacher. :))

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2020, 12:21:26 AM »
I’d like to rewatch Stop Making Sense because I don’t remember it all all, and that  doesn’t seem right.

The only two on your list I haven’t see is Deep Water, about which I have little interest and  Carnal Knowledge, which I think I should see.

Stop; Making Sense

Better late than never?  I am saying that both for jdc’s club time and for watching Stop Making Sense.  My mild Talking Head fandom is long past and I had imagined that I watched this movie long ago.  Spoiler: I didn’t watch it at all.. So here I am, tail between my legs in full apology mode.

As to the film: It is certainly a great concert film.  Nothing that special about the filming, above other concert films, but the concert itself was as unique as the Talking Heads.  That is, full of new wave art and pretty stuck in the 80s.  And that’s not a bad thing.  The 80s were an okay time for music and innovation, but I rarely find my past fascination with new wave to be replicated today.   The concert has energy and a constant requirement to keep the audience’s attention.  “Look at me shake!  Look at me wear the big suit!”  Okay, David, got it. 

Honestly, I couldn’t keep my attention on the visual.  My eyes wandered.  But my ears are still fascinated by the music and lyrics and the messages.  So while the concert might not keep me attentive, the music of Talking Heads still  is entertaining and cutting. 

3.5/5

No need to be sorry, one thing about Concert films is that they work in pieces as well as a whole.  I usually watch the first 10 songs if I put it in and still may skip 1 or 2. 

Though I grew up in the 80's, this wasn't my 80's. I was more into Deep Purple, Dio, Ozzy/BS, Iron Maiden.  This new wave stuff was crap to me... What can I say, I was young and stupid and felt that every song should have a loud guitar and fast solo.

It took 20 years later for me to start discovering the other 80's music that I shunned back then. I knew of the Talking Heads since they came on MTV while watching for some good music to play but never got it.  This was a wake up call when I did a blind buy on the Bluray and first watched it. It then got me interested to go back to listen to other bands around that time.. who knew my sister was right about the Police?

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2020, 12:23:26 AM »
I put that on now and then just to watch the bit where the drummer comes out and plays that first song. It's got one of my favourite shots of the show, when they do a slow 360 around him. I like his happy drumming and the fact he's dresses like a substitute teacher. :))

Yeah.. he looks like the most non-musician musician I have ever seen. 
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2020, 12:25:11 AM »

While I watch this, others in the house come in the room one by one, stop in their tracks and ask, "What is this?" and either stay for a while, or shake their heads and walk away. I can't explain or defend it; I'm just laughing. They can laugh with me, or they can scoff. It's their choice and their loss if they don't get it. After all, if there's one thing I learned from the Filmspotting boards, it's "humor is subjective." :)

The movie is "just a bit of silliness really," but becomes a perfect escape during this hectic month.

This one just gave me the giggles when I first saw it and can still make me laugh if I just think about it even though it is at least 10 years or more since I watched it. I always thought it so much better then Kung Fu Hustle though that one seemed to have been the bigger hit.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2021, 07:35:47 PM »
List revised 1 Feb 2020 (sort of).   I had been keep track of films to consider adding or others that had previously fallen out that I wanted to revisit. But in usual fashion, I didn't get around to doing any of that so left the list largely the same.  Though I have added at the bottom those that I was considering and many should be in the list... if I had gotten around to doing it properly.  As most of the rankings outside of 20 are pretty random, they could all be considered in my opinion...

1   Barton Fink
2   Gummo
3   The Squid and the Whale
4   Adaptation
5   Requiem for a Dream
6   Memories of Murder
7   No Country for Old Men
8   The New World
9   A Serious Man
10   Take Shelter
11   In Bruges
12   The Big Lebowski
13   Fargo
14   Miller's Crossing
15   Magnolia
16   Happiness
17   Old Boy
18   Reservoir Dogs
19   Snatch
20   The World of Kanako
21   Birdman
22   A Clockwork Orange
23   American Pyscho
24   Antichrist
25   Blue Velvet
26   One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
27   Dead Man
28   There Will be Blood
29   Margaret
30   Moonrise Kingdom
31   Das Boot
32   Naked Lunch
33   Mother!
34   Battle Royal
35   Being John Malkovich
36   Shaolin Soccer
37   2001: A Space Odyssey
38   Dr Stranglove
39   Best in Show
40   Boogie Nights
41   Donnie Darko
42   The Lighthouse
43   Funny Games (1997)
44   GoodFellas
45   Freaks
46   Jaws
47   External Sunshine of a Spotless Mind
48   Ex Machina
49   Fight Club
50   Carnal Knowledge
51   Alien
52   Let the Right One In
53   Thirst
54   The Godfather
55   The Shining
56   Pulp Fiction
57   Deep Water
58   Dear Zachary
59   Glengerry Glenross
60   Apocalypse Now
61   Time - Kim Ki-Duk
62   The Big Short
63   Wonderboys
64   Kids
65   The Fighter
66   Infernal Affairs
67   Chinatown
68   Lock, Stock, Two Smoking Barrels
69   Memento
70   Drive
71   We Need to Talk about Kevin
72   Ordinary People
73   Little Children
74   Sleeping Dogs Lie
75   Audition
76   This is Spinal Tap
77   Shallow Grave
78   Rashomon
79   Rushmore
80   Children of Men
81   Before Midnight
82   The Player
83   Anomalisa
84   The Handmaiden
85   The Good, the Bad, the Weird
86   Benny's Video
87   The Witch
88   Black Swan
89   Company of Men
90   Stop Making Sense
91   The Weatherman
92   Nightcrawler
93   The Descedants
94   Paths of Glory
95   Die Hard
96   The Babadook
97   Act of Killing
98   Whiplash
99   A History of Violence
100   Samsara
   Her
   Harold and Maude
   A Seperation
   Paths of the Soul
   Parasite
   Uncut Gems
   Marriage Story
   Another Year
   Blindspotting
   Get Out
   A Ghost Story
   Zombieland
   Kick Ass
   The Last of the Mohicans
   A Christmas Story
   Bad Santa
   Sleeping Dogs Lie
   Julian Donkey-Boy
   Babel
   Bully
   Samaritan Girl
   Rise of the Planet of the Apes
   Punch Drunk Love
   Jacob's Ladder
   Your Friends and Neighbors
   Full Metal Jacket
   Synecdoche, New York
   Mother (Korean)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:32:54 PM by jdc »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2021, 08:07:28 PM »
What is Path of the Soul?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2021, 08:32:39 PM »
Should be “Paths of the Soul”, will correct that

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2021, 11:00:37 PM »
Haven't seen:

20   The World of Kanako
29   Margaret
33   Mother!
36   Shaolin Soccer
42   The Lighthouse
50   Carnal Knowledge
63   Wonderboys
73   Little Children
84   The Handmaiden
93   The Descedants

Although my track record with him otherwise is middling, Mike Nichols does have two films on my own list, so I'll check out Carnal Knowledge.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2021, 12:59:49 AM »
Should be “Paths of the Soul”, will correct that

Thank you. I'll probably watch Samaritan Girl, but maybe I'll get to both.