Author Topic: Top 100 Club: JDC  (Read 25027 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Top 100 Club: JDC
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2021, 05:19:06 PM »
Plus finding the perfect spot to use music from The Who’s greatest song during the revenge scene

Such a great sequence!

I have to admit, The Who is a bit of a blank for me. I'm familiar with some of their big hits like The Tommy album, "Baba O'riley," "I Can See For Miles" etc. But, I keep coming across songs I've never heard like "A Quick One" in Rushmore and "I'm One" and "Squeezebox" in Freaks and Geeks. I have some exploring to do with this Band.

I’m One if from Quadrophenia, I’d suggest to give that one at least a couple listens.  As it is a double concept album, like Tommy, it works better as a whole then just picking some individual songs.  Though, there are a few stand out songs like I’m One, 5:15 or Love, Reign O’ve Me

https://youtu.be/ZhSdNy1snaU

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2021, 11:14:26 PM »
Thanks, jdc! I've heard of the album and film, but haven't listened through yet. I will now. I'm familiar with Love, Reign O'er Me, but I think it's Pearl Jam's version. :D

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2021, 01:28:51 AM »
Just checked out Pearl Jam’s version, quite good.  The Who had some unconventional musicians and I think it really comes out on Quadrophenia more then most.  Outside of I’m One and Love, Reign o’ve me, the drum and base lines on this album seem to be pretty crazy, non-stop. The other two songs are a bit more conventional.   
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2021, 07:51:10 PM »
Just checked out Pearl Jam’s version, quite good.  The Who had some unconventional musicians and I think it really comes out on Quadrophenia more then most.  Outside of I’m One and Love, Reign o’ve me, the drum and base lines on this album seem to be pretty crazy, non-stop. The other two songs are a bit more conventional.

:)

I'm hoping someone has the film in their top 100, so it will motivate me to see it. Until then, I'll enjoy the album. Thanks for the insights!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2021, 08:44:37 PM »

I'm hoping someone has the film in their top 100, so it will motivate me to see it. Until then, I'll enjoy the album. Thanks for the insights!

Quadrophenia is on my top 250 list :)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2021, 09:19:57 PM »

I’ve never watched the film, but will correct it when it is your turn

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2021, 11:11:11 PM »
Quadrophenia is low on my Essentials, but it's there.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2021, 07:23:40 PM »
Take Shelter
This is a rewatch for me, but I figured we could talk about it here. Essentially, everything in the plot is designed to make Curtis look as if he were experiencing a severe mental health condition, but then all of our expectations and understandings are subverted with that brief, but impactful final scene. I haven't seen it in a good while (it's ten years old now!), but I remember what I liked so much about it, primarily in the imagery. This is some of my favorite use of CGI in a film, it works fairly naturally within the story, while providing an extra punch that recording regular storms and trying some fancy editing might not be able to accomplish. The flock of birds, the levitating furniture, the grand and amazing storms - to be honest, I will likely continue watching this film into the future just because of those hair-raising images/premonitions. Shannon and Chastain are also pretty great. Shannon really embodies Curtis' paranoia and his troubled nature, and is quite method in his approach.

The question is: What does it all mean? I don't necessarily watch movies for a grand meaning; some require them more than others. But for this one, the topicality (mental illness) seems like it ought to lead us somewhere profound. However, the finale seems to be more about leaving us with one of those "Whoa...wait, what?" reactions that are often not very meaningful at all. So Curtis was experiencing premonitions of the future. What does that mean for everything we saw previously in the film? The degradation of his familial relationships and friendships? It seems like a lot of this film was about mental health, but the conclusion pulls the rug from under us and possibly renders everything else we've seen as meaningless. If he isn't experiencing mental health issues, then what? It can't just be in the negative, He is not experiencing mental health issues, because making a film to show someone is not experiencing something makes no sense. What is it, then? I don't have a great interpretation right now. This most recent viewing has left me with more questions than answers. Sometimes the film enthusiast may just leave it at that. What do you think?
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2021, 08:50:42 PM »
Quadrophenia is low on my Essentials, but it's there.

Excellent! :)

I watched Take Shelter yesterday, so will add my thoughts too...

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2021, 09:17:29 PM »
Take Shelter is probably top 5 of the decade for me. One day I will write about it more. I think the film intentionally ends ambiguously to allow the audience to see it as both a metaphor for family mental health history as well as a growing sense of dread about the state of the world we live in today.

love