Author Topic: FYC 2018 - General  (Read 39963 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: FYC 2018 - General
« Reply #290 on: January 04, 2019, 12:17:38 AM »
A few pictures I'm stumping for:

Our Time Will Come

A gorgeous epic from Ann Hui grounded in one courageous woman's perspective. Zhou Xun gives a heartbreaking lead performance, and Eddie Peng plays a resistance leader with the charisma of a young Harrison Ford. Great cinematography and a score by Joe Hisaishi.

Picture, Director, Non-English Language Film, Cinematography, Editing, Score, Actress - Zhou Xun, Supporting Actor - Eddie Peng

We the Animals

My favorite of this year's many coming-of-age films. Vivid and energetic camerawork combined with very creative editing captures the young boys' exuberance. An extremely affecting family drama. Has a better floating scene than First Reformed. Just gorgeous.

Picture, Director, Debut, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing

Zama

Vividly captures the surreality of a put-upon Spanish bureaucrat's tenure in a South American village. Martel evokes this without wild camerawork, trippy effects, or frenetic edits. Just a tremendously assured sense of character dynamics and location. Has a wild third act.

Picture, Director, Non-English Language Film, Cinematography, Editing, Best Shot - Zama in the Boat, Best Line - "Do you want to live?"

November

An engrossing Estonian fable about a doomed love triangle. The most visually stunning live-action film I saw this past year. Utterly gorgeous black and white photography that continually took my breath away.

Non-English Language Film, Cinematography
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 01:29:41 PM by philip918 »

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #291 on: January 04, 2019, 02:06:52 AM »
Grace Jones: Bloodlight And Bami

Best Line - "I wish my pussy was this tight." Grace Jones on opening oysters.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #292 on: January 04, 2019, 04:52:59 AM »
I am just going to have to throw more love at:

The Favourite
I see them both as co-leads
Best Actress - Emma Stone
Best Actress - Rachel Weisz
Best Supporting Actress - Olivia Colman
Best Picture

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #293 on: January 04, 2019, 10:02:49 AM »
I think you're absolutely right about Stone and Weisz being the leads. It's funny that for all the awards Colman is nominated as Lead and they're both Supporting. Should the Filmspots correct this? There are already several FYC's with them as Supporting.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #294 on: January 04, 2019, 10:08:00 AM »
I would argue for Colman lead, Weisz and Stone as supporting, but you are free to vote for them in whichever category you like. I wonder though if we should come to a concrete consensus to avoid votes cancelling each other out.

I will say that Actress is already loaded this year, and both Weisz and Stone will probably fair better in Supporting.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #295 on: January 04, 2019, 11:39:15 AM »
I mean, from a perspective standpoint I think Dave is right. We generally only view the Queen through their eyes.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #296 on: January 04, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Best Debut Feature

Into the Spider-Verse is ineligible for Debut Feature since one of the directors, Peter Ramsay, already had his debut with Rise of the Guardians. By the Greta Gerwig rule, the other two directors, Persichetti and Rotham, could still be eligible for this category in the future, if not again paired with a non-debuting director.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #297 on: January 05, 2019, 12:30:12 AM »
I have been eyeing We The Animals since the limited run in Philly, it seems like something worth seeking out.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #298 on: January 05, 2019, 07:42:33 PM »
November

An engrossing Estonian fable about a doomed love triangle. The most visually stunning live-action film I saw this past year. Utterly gorgeous black and white photography that continually took my breath away.

Non-English Language Film, Cinematography

I support these FYCs. What a creative, fun, weird film. Fascinating from the opening moments. Definitely worth everyone's time.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #299 on: January 05, 2019, 11:39:53 PM »
Green Book
Best Actor - Viggo Mortensen
Best Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali
Best Original Screenplay