Author Topic: Top 5 Comicbook-Director Combos We'd Like To See  (Read 1320 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Top 5 Comicbook-Director Combos We'd Like To See
« on: February 16, 2018, 07:12:32 PM »
1. Blade
Directed by Dee Rees and starring Danai Gurira. Mudbound had some great tension and horrific elements. Gurira could take over any action franchise and I'd be sold, but I can't imagine a better Blade. (I mean, she's already been fighting with a katana for how many seasons of the Walking Dead?)

2. Rat Queens
Directed by Frankie Shaw. Take the raunchiness and attitude of SMILF and transplant it in a Dungeons and Dragons-esque fantasy world with the raunchiest, baddest group of maidens for hire ever to grace a comic's page.

3. Ms. Marvel
Directed by Daniel Kwan and Daniel Schneinert. They're inventiveness and playfulness could be a perfect fit for a young heroine with shape-shifting super powers. They would also be great picks for Doctor Strange.

4. Hawkeye
Directed by Chad Stahelski. Based on the Matt Fraction run. NOT starring Jeremy Renner. John Wick-style action with a bow and arrow.

5. Swamp Thing
Directed by Sean Baker. Baker's filmmaking style seems like a natural fit for this comic character. His use of color, the naturalism, the camera movements. I also think he'd take the story in unique directions and explore interesting subjects.

Honorable Mention:

Southern Bastards
Directed by Jeremy Saulnier

Pretty Deadly
Directed by Reed Morano

Red Sonja
Directed by Michelle MacLaren

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Top 5 Comicbook-Director Combos We'd Like To See
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 12:49:29 PM »
Tarantino-- Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe
Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?

Kelly Reichardt-- Blankets
If Reichardt were willing to move to New England, this might be a good tone for her to work with, although it is a male perspective.

Makoto Shinkai-- Osamu Tezuku's Buddha
This Buddha should remain animated and while Your Name is perhaps too shiny for this comic, a quieter palette such as found in 5 Centimeters Per Second would be a great addition for this story, and his ability to take a complex story and place it in a two hour film might work here as well.

Luc Besson-- Top Ten
An Alan Moore comic that hasn't been adapted, the big world and unfocused storytelling might be perfect for Besson.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 11:16:54 PM »
Alfonso Cuaron & Guillermo Del Toro adapting all twelve volumes of THE SANDMAN (taking turns directing each) into an HBO or Netflix miniseries with Adam Driver as Morpheus is my ultimate dream. It won't ever happen but LET ME DREAM.

A little cheat, but what about Lynne Ramsay adapting FUN HOME with Hugh Jackman as the father? A musical based on a graphic novel. If not Lynne, I could see Tom Ford, Todd Haynes, or Lisa Cholodenko as perfect filmmakers for the material.

I'd also love to see MAUS in stop-motion by Henry Salick with Laika. This will never happen (and probably shouldn't), but it's just an idea. I'd cast Jerry Stiller in a rare dramatic role as the father alongside Ben Stiller as his son for the voices.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:36:12 PM »
Two others:

DYKES TO WATCH OUT FOR, an HBO series akin to LOOKING with Lisa Chodolenko & Jill Soloway executive producing with Ellen Page starring would be pretty amazing, but unlikely.

What's a lot more likely to happen would be Spike Jonze shepherding SAGA into an HBO or Netflix series, complete with Ryan Guzman & Letitia Wright in the lead roles would be so, so SO good. Let's put Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Prince Robot IV too.

I should be an exec.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:55:54 PM »
I should be an exec.

These are a bunch of excellent ideas!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 05:34:26 AM »
I will focus on superheros for my first post, maybe I'll do a second one later (probable, I have time).

Heroes we've seen:

Shane Black's Ultimate Spider-Man
Black is the only writer/director I can think of that can fit the quirky witty verbosity of Spider-Man, its heart and its PG nature. The time hasn't come yet for Tarantino's Peter Parker is what I am saying. Ultimate is my favourite run of SM and that's in part because of how well integrated it is in the larger Ultimate Universe, so this could actually happen yet. No X-Men though.  :'(

Spike Lee's Luke Cage
I don't even think I need to explain this one. The Netflix series is uneven, at best. Lee would likely do a better job of making a movie about issues, and he would do it with a bang. Cage is the best black character I can think of for that.

Joss Whedon's X-Men
You need to set up a team of lovable but flawed heroes, possibly teenagers, who have to take on problems larger than themselves ; who do you call? Joss Whedon of course. Scrap the entire current X-Men franchise, it's terrible and keeps getting worse. I want Joss Whedon to give me the X-Men team we deserve. And forget that teenagers thing, I want Jessica Chastain to play Jean Grey. I say start with a mutant registration act in movie 1, with Erik breaking away from Charles by the end and the beginning of the Sentinel program ; Dark Phoenix in movie 2 with hatred towards mutants at its worse by the end ; the Sentinels get shut down in movie 3 and other things happen

(okay that one is a bit of a cheat, he already wrote some of the comics, but how cool would it be?)

The Wachowskis' Mystique (or some other shape shifter)
I mean, who better? Bring in a load of other X-Men characters, make it an R rated movie with lots of violence, add some tech, overthrow a corrupt superstructure. What's not to like?

Alex Garland's Ultron
Ex-Machina, but with lasers.

Heroes we haven't seen:

Tarantino's Thunderbolts
Marvel's answer to Suicide Squad (or is it the other way around?). The comics are rarely very good but there are some runs and rosters that are worthy of an adaptation. As far as I am concerned, make it an R rated movie and let the baddies go full evil. Alternative director: Paul Verhoeven, saying something about the fascistic nature of the state and the prison system.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 05:35:37 AM »
Luc Besson-- Top Ten
An Alan Moore comic that hasn't been adapted, the big world and unfocused storytelling might be perfect for Besson.

I love that comic. Please give it to anyone but Besson.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 06:00:06 AM »
Tarantino's Thunderbolts
Marvel's answer to Suicide Squad (or is it the other way around?). The comics are rarely very good but there are some runs and rosters that are worthy of an adaptation. As far as I am concerned, make it an R rated movie and let the baddies go full evil. Alternative director: Paul Verhoeven, saying something about the fascistic nature of the state and the prison system.

I very much like the idea of a Verhoeven one.