love

Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 25107 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Star Trek
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »

I've long been a Star Wars fan (stop right now if you're getting upset that I dare bring up Star Wars in a Star Trek marathon, there is plenty of room in the universe for both), but I have never really explored Star Trek. My dad was a big fan of the original series, which made taking him to the reboot a joy, but apart from that reboot, Into Darkness, and some vague memories of having seen part of The Next Generation movies with Patrick Stewart, I am a blank page when it comes to Star Trek. smirnoff, on the other hand, has enjoyed The Next Generation stuff and never really explored beyond that. So what a great opportunity for the two of us to go on this journey of discovery together! ALL ARE WELCOME/ENCOURAGED TO JOIN! Our journey begins on Stardate 95860.55.

Marathon Intro

Here is what we have in store for ourselves:

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Robert Wise, 1979) - Thursday, April 5
- Corndog
- smirnoff
- Knocked Out Loaded

2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Nicholas Meyer, 1982) - Monday, April 9
- Corndog
- smirnoff

3. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Leonard Nimoy, 1984) - Thursday, April 12
- Corndog
- smirnoff

4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Leonard Nimoy, 1986) - Monday, April 16
- Corndog
- smirnoff

5. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (William Shatner, 1989) - Thursday, April 19
- Corndog
- smirnoff

6. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Nicholas Meyer, 1991) - Monday, April 23
- Corndog
- smirnoff

7. Star Trek: Generations (David Carson, 1994) - Thursday, April 26
- Corndog
- smirnoff

8. Star Trek: First Contact (Jonathan Frakes, 1996) - Monday, April 30
- Corndog
- smirnoff

9. Star Trek: Insurrection (Jonathan Frakes, 1998) - Thursday, May 3
- Corndog
- smirnoff
- Sandy

10. Star Trek: Nemesis (Stuart Baird, 2002) - Monday, May 7
- Corndog
- smirnoff

11. Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) - Thursday, May 10
- Corndog
- smirnoff

12. Star Trek Into Darkness (J.J. Abrams, 2013) - Monday, May 14
- Corndog
- smirnoff

13. Star Trek Beyond (Justin Lin, 2016) - Thursday, May 17
- Corndog
- smirnoff

Polls!
Original Series
The Next Generation
Reboot
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:49:32 AM by Corndog »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:17:52 AM »
"Now, this'll be a straight walk-off, old school rules. First model walks; second model duplicates, then elaborates. Okay, boys - let's go to work!" :)

Yay on this marathon! Great conversations ahead!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:15:32 PM »
Corndog, you may want to add a link to the Star Trek movies polls on your first post. There are three of them with everyone's rankings of the movies.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »
Corndog, you may want to add a link to the Star Trek movies polls on your first post. There are three of them with everyone's rankings of the movies.

Good idea!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 03:34:17 PM »
I have been watching Star Trek episodes for about a year now, with the intention of watching everyyything. Eventually. As in, I'm a few episodes into season 3 of TOS now... so I doubt I'll be caught up by the time you start this, but at least it'll give me something to read when I get there, so I approve of this project.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 10:06:54 PM »
"Now, this'll be a straight walk-off, old school rules. First model walks; second model duplicates, then elaborates. Okay, boys - let's go to work!" :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 10:32:57 PM »
I have been watching Star Trek episodes for about a year now, with the intention of watching everyyything. Eventually. As in, I'm a few episodes into season 3 of TOS now... so I doubt I'll be caught up by the time you start this, but at least it'll give me something to read when I get there, so I approve of this project.

Something that surprised me when I first learned of it was that there are only 3 seasons. The Star Trek brand or universe has always been such huge thing in popular culture that in my head I'd always imagined the length of the series would be proportional to it's impact (i.e. massive). At only 3 seasons, it had a pretty short run (at least compared to the hits of today). Then again, those seasons were long as fuuuuudge. By today's standards I guess it's more like 6 to 8 seasons worth of content, crammed into less than 3 years of television! Wild.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:50:21 PM »
Awesome.  Following.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 12:18:40 AM »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 01:04:05 AM »
Just looking over Director Robert Wise's filmography. I'll be honest, I didn't recognize the name (I'm probably alone there). Sheesh talk about prolific. Not a director married to any genre it wouldn't seem (a smattering of sci-fi), and no shortage of big titles under his belt by the time he got to Star Trek.

An interesting context under which to direct a film. As a series Star Trek had run it's last episode in '69, but has been re-run continuously in the years leading up to the film. 10 years later they make a film.

I'd like to think that his involvement in the film bodes well, but I could just as easily see it as attaching a big name director specially for the purposes of getting this movie to sell tickets.

My expectations for the entire Original Series line-up of movies are quite low, but I am hoping there is a gem in there, and that I can get emotionally attached to the characters.

love