Author Topic: Top 100 Club: Sandy  (Read 56469 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: Top 100 Club: Sandy
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2019, 07:02:48 AM »
My Top Shame list at iCheckMovies has some crossover with your list, Sandy. I'll try to have a stab at Singin' In The Rain and/or City Lights and/or The Best Years Of Our Lives.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2019, 01:38:48 PM »
Haven't Seen:

Jane Eyre (2011) [Been meaning to watch this one for a while, probably will now]
Sense and Sensibility (1995)
Return to Me
Cast Away
While You Were Sleeping
Penelope
Yentl
Becoming Jane
Little Women
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Persuasion (2007)
The Wiz
Funny Girl
Truly, Madly, Deeply
Another Year
To Sir, With Love
Dear Frankie
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
The Poseidon Adventure
Benny & Joon
Jane Eyre (1996)
Ordinary People
Secret & Lies
Music from Another Room
Ball of Fire
Much Ado About Nothing
What's Up, Doc?
The Joy Luck Club
Daddy Long Legs
Funny Face
Remains of the Day
Hamlet (1996)
Taps
Notting Hill
13 Going on 30
Strictly Ballroom
Great Expectations (1946)
Now, Voyager
Summer Stock

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2019, 11:52:27 PM »
Lots not seen. Possibilities for this month

Becoming Jane (its on Stan)
Pride and Prejudice (on Netflix)

That's all I have been able to find so far. Not sure which one I will get to first.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2019, 12:50:50 AM »
Unseen:
    Jane Eyre 2011
    Persuasion 2007
    The Wiz 1978
    Sarah, Plain and Tall 1991
    Jane Eyre 1996
    Matilda 1996
    The Joy Luck Club 1993
    Hamlet 1996
    Taps 1981
    Summer Stock 1950

I don't know what I'll watch, but I'm always excited by Sandy's month. Even if the films aren't going to be favourites the fact that they're so different from what I'd otherwise watch makes them intriguing experiences. And they always have something to hook me.

:))

I'm so happy to hear this and am excited to see what you can glean from any of those films.

I missed this post before, but I just want to acknowledge it now. I don't recall what you haven't seen from my list but when we get there that would be a nice exploration. And yes, it was a compliment. I feel like we share an approach to the humanity of characters in film (and probably people in general), so even though our interests and lived experiences are rather far apart I always have an entry way into the films on your list.

To find commonality through film is a real privilege and a happy experience. I'm grateful to know you, PeacefulAnarchy.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2019, 01:08:58 AM »
I completed Sandy's list on the last round. I filtered Sandy's films based on Rating, eliminating the titles I haven't seen and the top pick is The Desert Bride (2017). I can look for that or if there's a special request?

Oh! How wonderful this made it to the top of your choices! I don't know if you'll enjoy it, but I was so enamored with Paulina Garcia's presence, I find myself thinking about the film a lot. It's a quiet piece. Have you seen Gloria? I'm hoping to watch it soon.

Have you seen A Fantastic Woman? It's one of the films I watched this past year that I remember being impressed with. If you'd rather see that than The Desert Bride, it's an option. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2019, 01:15:24 AM »
Going off the Letterboxd list I have the following options:
Support Your Local Sheriff
The Poseidon Adventure
Ball of Fire
Shadowlands
Yours, Mine and Ours (68)
Great Expectations (46)
Summer Stock

Based on library availability I'm going with Ball of Fire and Shadowlands.

The library came through with some good ones! I hope you like them. Those two movies are very different from each other, but there is a common thread of academia! :D

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2019, 01:19:23 AM »
My Top Shame list at iCheckMovies has some crossover with your list, Sandy. I'll try to have a stab at Singin' In The Rain and/or City Lights and/or The Best Years Of Our Lives.

I <3 each of those movies so much!

Looking over your top shames, I see The Treasure Of Sierra Madre. I've been wanting to get to that movie for the longest time! If we find it on someone's top 100, let's review it, K? :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2019, 01:25:22 AM »
Haven't Seen:

Jane Eyre (2011) [Been meaning to watch this one for a while, probably will now]

You can't go wrong with that one! I'm keeping my fingers crossed you love it, even a little bit. :)

As for the other ones, it really depends on what you're in the mood for. They are all over the place, genre wise. If you want to stay on a literary path, Great Expectations is wonderful. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2019, 01:28:50 AM »
Lots not seen. Possibilities for this month

Becoming Jane (its on Stan)
Pride and Prejudice (on Netflix)

That's all I have been able to find so far. Not sure which one I will get to first.

A theme! If I may. Start with Becoming Jane and get to know the author and then watch her magical pen's creation adapted for the screen. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2019, 01:31:15 AM »
I completed Sandy's list on the last round. I filtered Sandy's films based on Rating, eliminating the titles I haven't seen and the top pick is The Desert Bride (2017). I can look for that or if there's a special request?

Oh! How wonderful this made it to the top of your choices! I don't know if you'll enjoy it, but I was so enamored with Paulina Garcia's presence, I find myself thinking about the film a lot. It's a quiet piece. Have you seen Gloria? I'm hoping to watch it soon.

Have you seen A Fantastic Woman? It's one of the films I watched this past year that I remember being impressed with. If you'd rather see that than The Desert Bride, it's an option. :)
I watched A Fantastic Woman along with that director's more recent Disobedience the end of last year. I have not seen Gloria.

love