love

Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  (Read 11622 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Avengers: Infinity War
« on: April 27, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »
I didn't know how much I wanted to see Black Widow and Okoye team up in a fight until it was about to happen. I wish they worked off he other, more like how Strange helped Spider-Man, Star Lord and Iron Man fight Thanos, but it was great to anticipate these two warrior women.

I guess the big question is who is really dead and how is Captain Marvel going to save us all? I don't know enough about the character, but I'm sure once her movie comes out it will become clear how time will be reversed. This brings up the really big question I'm burying deep inside this paragraph. It's safe to assume anyone turned to ash will return, but what about Gamora? Can she return? If not can they make a Guardians movie without her or with Nebula filling her role? Seems unlikely and right now I'm thinking that Thanos' soul can be exchanged for Gamora. Loki however is probably dead, and I'm fine with that. His story seems complete.

I loved the introduction of Captain America. Very fitting, and I'm glad they didn't wait until Wakanda.

No, seriously, where the hell was Hawkeye?

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Avengers: Infinity War
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 04:42:41 PM »
Finishing off with all but one of the Guardians of the Galaxy dead, Spiderman, Black Panther and several other major players dead was great. However they are going to reverse the deaths, most likely, which will completely remove any stakes for the major players in future films. They are main players so the stakes are ridiculously low anyway, but to bring them back (or even some of them) will completely wipe out those low stakes. As much as I would like to see many of these characters again, I would rather this film was the end of them.

In terms of villains they have learnt from Spiderman: Homecoming and given the villain proper depth and reasoning. You can see what his logic wanted and why.

The lack of time between characters being in vastly separated places was my biggest problem with the movie. This reduced the grand scale of the events taking place.

Yes the Black Widow and Okoye team up was excellent.

I must admit I did not recognise Captain America until his name was spoken.

Where was Hawkeye? I think he was playing Tag.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 08:25:21 PM »
Don't care much about Hawkeye, but where was Ant-Man? Hawkeye was away with his wife or something they said, right?

Anyway, yeah, not a huge fan of the conclusion, like I wrote on Letterboxd last night it felt really disingenuous to stop calling this "Infinity War Part 1" at some point (didn't realize this was happening until the title card had it absent), especially with who they decided to chop. Like, okay, Loki you can get rid of, I'd buy that. Scarlet Witch, also expendable, but you expect me to feel something that Spiderman and Black Panther are gone when they've got films slated to drop well beyond Part 2? You know the reset button is going to be hit, which made that whole conclusion ring hollow.

Coolest part was waiting for the post credits thing, which they really make you wait for this time in a move I can support, and restrain themselves to just one, and seeing special thanks to FOX for use of Arrested Development. Figured it was just playing on a TV in the background somewhere, but saw today that there was just a Tobias sighting/lookalike, which is likely the best crossover to come from the MCU.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »
I enjoyed the ending. I thought it was a bold way to end an Avengers movie. But I'm also assuming the characters that disappeared aren't dead and will return. Which i don't necessarily mind.

I'm not sure what that means for the future of the series if they can just go back and time and do things differently. Maybe the stones will be destroyed as a way out?

There wasn't nearly as much Captain America as i was hoping for but i guess he'll be all over the next movie.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 10:40:23 PM »
Unless I'm remembering it wrong, at the end we are down to our Avengers from the first film, minus Nick Fury and plus a couple of others. So that means Tony, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow and I assume Hawkeye, Captain Marvel and Ant-Man will have to figure out a solution.

It's been interesting reading reactions to ending. For those that know nothing about contracts, sequels and studio deals there's true shock over who is dead. For many, they were believing the mass murder up until Black Panther and Spider-Man who common sense would tell you are going to be in future films. Of course, many know that all the dust people are not really dead, but it's an interesting note to pause on for a year+. Normally, this is a moment we might sit in for 3-5 minutes and then Earth's Mightiest Heroes would put a plan in motion to undo Thanos' work. Instead we end with Thanos victorious. Some claim there's no ending to the film and I might agree if not for the scenes of the survivors wondering where to go from here and Thanos watching the sunset with satisfaction, which I think gives this adventure a nice coda. It's much like the scene after Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince when Harry announces he won't be returning to Hogwarts because he has a much bigger mission to complete. You know the story isn't finished, but this part of it is very much complete, with the right amount of unanswered questions hanging in the air. I think the film is closer to that than Deathly Hallows Part 1.

I'm also more certain now that the Soul Stone will be used to bring Gamora back to life.

And the ending doesn't ring hollow for me because it's not about the Avengers being massacred, it's simply about them losing. All of this power, some of them seemingly immortal and they still failed to save the planet. I don't need or want them dead. I just need them beaten.

I'm assuming Valkyrie is dead and I'm kind of bummed about that. It's like the start of Alien 3 where you learn all that effort from Aliens was for nothing. Thanos wipes out half of civilization, but it seems he's destroyed all but one Asgardian. I wonder if there was a deleted scene where Thanos let Valkyrie escape with half of the people. Maybe when they filmed this they weren't sure how popular the new characters from Ragnarok would be, but they seemed very confident about the Black Panther cast.

I was happy for the little Captain America I got considering everything was pointing towards his death.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 11:33:05 PM »
I feel like the focus on BP characters would have happened regardless of confidence since he's pretty much their post-current Avengers launching point, while Ragnarok was a bridge film for the larger story (for the record T:R is my favorite MCU film and BP is on the low end).

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 12:35:03 AM »
My prediction is that Strange did something to one of the stones... and if not, considering Thanos' gauntlet and this storyline, in general, revolves around warping space, time, and reality- I have to imagine that will play into how just about every single character (whether they turned to ash or died beforehand) can come back and maybe even the universe will be altered a bit to explain why some of the older characters aren't around come future films. Probably in a Hickman's Secret Wars/House of M (minus the X-Men) kind of way since so many comics from the 2000s/2010s have inspired the MCU.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:56:31 AM by StudentOFilm »
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »
A few things:

- I was impressed with how many characters were given their moment. This is a huge cast and I felt nobody was left out.

- I thought Hawkeye and Ant-Man’s non-inclusion made sense. They are both devoted to their families and, probably, that same devotion will be used as motivation (and vengeance) if their families were part of Thanos’ extermination.

- the Hulk’s invincibility is not a given anymore making him a far more interesting character because even he knew it and was scared to get back in the fight after his major ass whooping in the first act.

- Rocket eyeing Bucky’s new arm was one of my favorite comedic moments in the film out of many.

- Rocket actually grew as a character. I really enjoyed his role.

- Thanos is the best written villain yet to show up in the MCU.

- I am not at bothered by the possible/inevitable resurrection of so many characters because that’s just how comics roll. Death, resurrection, retconning is part of the game here.

All in all, a solid outing by Marvel/Disney and lots of fun.
Hey, nice marmot!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 06:16:40 PM »
- Rocket eyeing Bucky’s new arm was one of my favorite comedic moments in the film out of many.
One of my favorites, but I probably laughed harder when he handed Thor the spare eye, says he would've washed it first and then started to explain why.

- I am not at bothered by the possible/inevitable resurrection of so many characters because that’s just how comics roll. Death, resurrection, retconning is part of the game here.
Yes. I think some people are making too big a deal about the obvious lack of final death in the ending when they should be focusing on Thanos achieving his goal and getting to enjoy the completion of his work. This is a direct reply to everyone who has been complaining that there are no stakes because the Avengers never seem defeatable. This has ALL of them working together and everybody fails. Sure, they'll win the war, but not until next year.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 06:25:34 PM »
Yet if (when) they defeat Thanos next year that just follows on with them being undefeatable. The movies have usually losing a battle or two during the movie only to overcome in the end. As next years film is basically part 2 of this years film, when they defeat Thanos that continues the same issue. It was a great ending for this year's film.