Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  (Read 11618 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Avengers: Infinity War
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 11:23:46 PM »
So you prefer a superhero movie where the heroes die? With commercial movies, I like my leads to be vulnerable, to grow and change, to be permanently affected by their journey, maybe even scarred, but I don't think I'd be too happy to see evil ultimately triumph over good.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 11:54:00 PM »
I think we’re being set up for at least one hard hitting death in the next film.
We know Spider-Man and Black Panther are both coming back - there’s even one more guardians film in the pipe, but Cap has been replaced in the comics by both Falcon and Bucky. Chris Evan’s contract is up after the next Avengers film so maybe this is a cinematic head fake to hit us with a harder loss. Kinda like losing Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine in Logan.
I think the stakes are in losing a familiar face and not the character being played. They’ll retcon Wolverine but it’ll never be HJ just like Captain America will always be CE for many of us.
Hey, nice marmot!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 05:42:22 AM »
So you prefer a superhero movie where the heroes die? With commercial movies, I like my leads to be vulnerable, to grow and change, to be permanently affected by their journey, maybe even scarred, but I don't think I'd be too happy to see evil ultimately triumph over good.

Not all of them, but with so many super heroes, I want to have a bit more edge, which means at least one or two of them dying. There is a fantasy writer called David Gemmell, who's book are great in part because the hero survival rate is low. They go into battle and they do not always come out. It gives more to the reading not knowing who is going to live and who is going to die. I agree with growing and changing leads being good.

Is Thanos evil? He believes the universe is over-populated and a thinning of the crowd is required for all to survive. Something he tried to do on his home planet, it was rejected and the whole planet died as a result. Is it evil to thin the crowd so some survive, rather than not thin the crowd and all die? Now his torturing of Nebula is evil, so he definitely has evil in him. Do all our heroes come out clean when it comes to torturing people (for example threatening to beat them when they are already beaten) for information?

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 06:26:23 PM »
Yes Thanos is evil.
Having backstory and moments of humanity don’t exempt you from that. I’m sure even Hitler loved someone Truly, madly, deeply...
Doesn’t make him any less evil.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:18:00 PM by St. Martin the Bald »
Hey, nice marmot!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 04:36:38 AM »
Are you saying that Thanos's plan is evil or something else? Regarding his plan of killing half of all species, to save all species, is evil; and doing nothing and having whole species die is not evil? Going to that old philosophy thought experiment of the Trolley problem. There is a variant where to save 5 people from dying you have to push 1 other person in front of the trolley (killing that person). That would be evil?

Further if Thanos is evil, when he gets the ultimate power of life and death would he not make the dying as horrible as possible, rather than quick and clean?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:41:24 AM by Dave the Necrobumper »

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »
Are you saying that Thanos's plan is evil or something else?

Evil. Misguided evil but evil nonetheless.
A touch of pathos doesn’t absolve him of his actions.
I try to avoid universal statements but all genocidists are evil. I feel pretty comfortable with that statement.

Regarding his plan of killing half of all species, to save all species, is evil; and doing nothing and having whole species die is not evil?

Leaves quite a lot of room for middle ground, if eliminating all living being’s accountability for their choices is your thing.
It seems to me that there would be a less violent way when you have complete power of destruction, creation, life, death, time, knowledge and reality at your disposal.

Going to that old philosophy thought experiment of the Trolley problem. There is a variant where to save 5 people from dying you have to push 1 other person in front of the trolley (killing that person). That would be evil?

The film’s morality code seemed very obvious to me: we don’t trade a life for a life.
Outside of that, this isn’t a situation that Thanos suddenly found himself thrust into and had to make on the fly. This is a philosophy that he developed, he spent a lifetime pursuing.
Consciously, willfully participating in genocide from planet to planet.
I don’t find the comparison very strong.

Further if Thanos is evil, when he gets the ultimate power of life and death would he not make the dying as horrible as possible, rather than quick and clean?

Gassing people seemed quick, humane and expedient.
A quick bullet to the head likewise.
Killing people in a neat and tidy and non horrifying manner doesn’t make it any less evil.
Just quieter.
And let’s not forget he spent years going around the universe doing it the violent, bloody old fashioned way.
My vote goes with evil.
Hey, nice marmot!

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »
How is this even a conversation ?  :o

Side note: When Doctor Strange came into the film, I felt somehow familiar with him (moreso than other characters I mean), and it took me a few scenes to realize that I was simply equating him with Darkening Humour.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 08:24:51 AM »
Side note: When Doctor Strange came into the film, I felt somehow familiar with him (moreso than other characters I mean), and it took me a few scenes to realize that I was simply equating him with Darkening Humour.

Hahahahaha
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 05:08:24 AM »
Well, that got dark. Like, real dark.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 05:28:50 AM »

Back in January when I disappeared I was actually taking a break to save the world. Nice company, terrible weather.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/