Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War  (Read 11623 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Avengers: Infinity War
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2018, 09:35:18 PM »
I'm assuming Valkyrie is dead and I'm kind of bummed about that. It's like the start of Alien 3 where you learn all that effort from Aliens was for nothing. Thanos wipes out half of civilization, but it seems he's destroyed all but one Asgardian. I wonder if there was a deleted scene where Thanos let Valkyrie escape with half of the people. Maybe when they filmed this they weren't sure how popular the new characters from Ragnarok would be, but they seemed very confident about the Black Panther cast.

Thor mentions that half of the Asgardian's escaped so she's presumably with them.

When does he say this? If they're alive, couldn't they have helped him while he was floating in space?

I forget exactly. He says it to either Groot during their alone time or before the other Guardians leave. My guess is they evacuated to safety beforehand and didn't know what the aftermath was.
He does say something but I think it's more along the lines of "Thanos slaughtered half my people," so there's a strong possibility Valkyrie is alive, but I would love to see how she ended up on an escape ship and not fighting Thanos or his minions.

Another thought I had watching the film again today...

When Bucky dies, his arm turns to dust too. Wouldn't it fall to the ground separated from the body that turns to ash? Of course then I'm questioning all the clothes and capes and suits that also dust, but it would've been interesting for Bucky's arm to remain because Rocket lives and he said he was going to get the arm. This would give it to him but in an unfunny way.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2018, 12:35:11 PM »
One human is worth more than all the dolphins. And even if we need them for some ecological reason, one human is still worth infinitely more than a mammal with fins.

All the humans for one dolphin.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2018, 02:12:38 PM »
I can't distinguish one Transformers from another. I can for the MCU.

We're about to have one more of these. Give it some time.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2018, 03:40:36 PM »
One human is worth more than all the dolphins. And even if we need them for some ecological reason, one human is still worth infinitely more than a mammal with fins.

All the humans for one dolphin.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2018, 10:03:11 PM »
I keep reflecting on the approach taken with the structure of Infinity War. While Thanos is the villain and there are a few dozen heroes, the structure is that of a classic Heroes Quest with Thanos as the main character, collecting the necessary stones at great personal cost while these pesky Avengers try to stop him from achieving his goal. The way to make a film with a dozen leads is to make the bad guy the lead and make everyone else the obstacles in his way. That's what makes this film a complete story and not just the first half of a two-parter.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2018, 03:51:55 AM »
I keep reflecting on the approach taken with the structure of Infinity War. While Thanos is the villain and there are a few dozen heroes, the structure is that of a classic Heroes Quest with Thanos as the main character, collecting the necessary stones at great personal cost while these pesky Avengers try to stop him from achieving his goal. The way to make a film with a dozen leads is to make the bad guy the lead and make everyone else the obstacles in his way. That's what makes this film a complete story and not just the first half of a two-parter.

More or less. They don't commit to Thanos as a main character enough for it to really land for me, in the sense that we don't see his character evolve at all throughout the film, we only learn who he already is. I think it's a valliant effort, but the Gamora thing doesn't have the weight it's clearly supposed to have for me.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »
Here's the problem with Thanos as a character for me. The movie's emotional climax hinges on us empathising with Thanos and believing in his relationship with Gamora. Since Thanos was never introduced prior to the movie though, it has to do all the legwork of building the backstory and selling the relationship. It's not enough because there are too many other things it has to do. I am going to repeat my criticism of the Guardians movies: they should have introduced Thanos and built him up as a character. One of the reasons Loki worked was because we had a movie's worth of character build in Thor and Avengers could immediately cut to him doing Loki stuff. If Guardians 1 had established why Gamora hated Thanos so much and what the deal with Nebula was this would have been far more satisfying. That's not to mention the Gamora-Quill romance. I believe Thanos loved his daughter because the movie says he did but it never showed it to me.

Also, if the whole journey of the movie is going to be about fatherhood, it is very confusing to call the minions the Children of Thanos. It took me a while to realise I should not understand that in a literal sense.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
I wrote a thing about some of the problems I had with the conversation surrounding Infinity War: Peaceful Thinking: Avengers: Infinity War

I think the movie is really impressive for how well it works with such a difficult set of parameters. Thanos is actually interesting, which is the first time there has been two good Marvel villains in a row. Thor is the best, I didn't love Doctor Strange, and everybody else was cool.

However, I do have a major problem. They (first Peter Parker, then others) attribute the "blow the bad guy out the airlock" thing to Aliens when that's really just a reference to Alien! I guess maybe I get the young kid making that mistake, but somebody like Iron Man should correct him. Alien is the superior film and the originator of that little trick (there's a chance it's in Dark Star too, I guess).
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »
However, I do have a major problem. They (first Peter Parker, then others) attribute the "blow the bad guy out the airlock" thing to Aliens when that's really just a reference to Alien! I guess maybe I get the young kid making that mistake, but somebody like Iron Man should correct him. Alien is the superior film and the originator of that little trick (there's a chance it's in Dark Star too, I guess).

Aw, Junior, you're a true film nerd and I say that with the highest respect. :)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2018, 12:30:45 PM »
Thanks, I try.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”