Author Topic: Top 100 Club: MartinTeller  (Read 20467 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Top 100 Club: MartinTeller
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2018, 12:12:26 AM »
Sandy, do you recommend the 2007 version to me?  Now that you've read my review, I mean :)

I think so! Read my review in the musical may thread and you'll see what the differences are. If those are okay, then you'll enjoy the 2007 version. :) I'm really happy you had such a great experience with the 1988 version. We both discovered a great film this month!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 06:52:19 AM »
I am half way through Linda Linda Linda, should have a review up in the next couple of days. Sorry I am running a little late.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2018, 06:41:02 PM »
I need to stop waiting until the last minute. I do hope to watch a second one today, though.

Offside 8 or 9/10 (I've forgotten how to rate)
Even though the politics of Iranian gender relations are ever-present in the film, and undeniably it's thematic core,  Panahi makes them peripheral in a story that is anchored to its characters and held together by the nearly real time pacing which, despite a few draggy moments, mostly moves the film along faster than you'd expect. As clearly scripted as the film is there's a sense of 'anything can happen' that kept me engaged and interested in both the little dramas and the overarching question of what will happen to these girls. It's ironic that this was banned in Iran because the patriotism and emotional investment in the match probably works better for a viewer who can more directly identify with the subject rather than a general "yeah, I guess I know what it's like to be a fan of a team." On the whole, though, it has a nice mix of characters who are relatable and sympathetic so that you don't view it as one group vs another but a bunch of people each trying to navigate a situation that is enough of their own doing that that they take responsibility but unfair enough that you don't feel a need to cast blame.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2018, 07:57:10 PM »
Watching Stop Making Sense right now.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2018, 11:10:32 PM »
Hi, Martin. I watched El Norte and Knocked Out Loaded and I were going to talk about it, but I couldn't schedule a good time. If we get a chance to talk about it down the road, I'll put our discussion here... The film was futile, yet hopeful? Strange mixture of feelings.

Also, I have Imitation of Life, but am going out of town, so can write something next week.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2018, 11:19:13 PM »
I need to stop waiting until the last minute. I do hope to watch a second one today, though.

Offside 8 or 9/10 (I've forgotten how to rate)
Even though the politics of Iranian gender relations are ever-present in the film, and undeniably it's thematic core,  Panahi makes them peripheral in a story that is anchored to its characters and held together by the nearly real time pacing which, despite a few draggy moments, mostly moves the film along faster than you'd expect. As clearly scripted as the film is there's a sense of 'anything can happen' that kept me engaged and interested in both the little dramas and the overarching question of what will happen to these girls. It's ironic that this was banned in Iran because the patriotism and emotional investment in the match probably works better for a viewer who can more directly identify with the subject rather than a general "yeah, I guess I know what it's like to be a fan of a team." On the whole, though, it has a nice mix of characters who are relatable and sympathetic so that you don't view it as one group vs another but a bunch of people each trying to navigate a situation that is enough of their own doing that that they take responsibility but unfair enough that you don't feel a need to cast blame.

I really enjoyed this one the first time I saw it, but it was rewatching it with Carrie that convinced me it belonged in my top 250. Such a great cast of characters, so much wonderful comedy/drama/humanism extracted from a simple premise, and such a fascinating production background. You really feel with/for the characters by the end. I love your last sentence here... Panahi has a marvelous breadth of sympathy.

Hi, Martin. I watched El Norte and Knocked Out Loaded and I were going to talk about it, but I couldn't schedule a good time. If we get a chance to talk about it down the road, I'll put our discussion here... The film was futile, yet hopeful? Strange mixture of feelings.

Also, I have Imitation of Life, but am going out of town, so can write something next week.

Looking forward to hearing about these! Thanks everyone for participating!

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2018, 12:44:35 AM »

Just make it clear how wrong DH is about this one
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2018, 01:23:18 AM »
Cruel Gun Story 9/10
This is noir and I like noir. It's grim, it's dark both visually and thematically, it's well plotted and well paced, it's right up my alley. There's not a whole lot here that's original, but the execution is spot on and that helps it rise above the fray.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »
Another one I forgot was in my top 250, but totally deserving. Lots of fun. I'm due for a rewatch of it.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2018, 03:04:59 PM »
I was planning to watch An Actor's Revenge this weekend, but Cruel Gun Story might be more what I need right now, if I don't save it for Noirvember.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love