love

Author Topic: Sequels that we want to see  (Read 2112 times)

matbezlima

Sequels that we want to see
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
Sequels are not a bad thing by themselves. Many cinephiles today are demonizing sequels, dismissing each new announced sequel as pure Hollywood cash grab. I agree that there are too many sequels, but the amount of cash grab sequels are making many cinephiles too cynical towards them, and I understand the feelings.

But what I say is: when we love a movie and its characters, we are often left with the feeling of wanting more, as if they were friends that we don't want to depart forever. It is a delight re-encounter our favorite characters having new adventures, and some movies are open to a sequel. In the past, I used to love every sequel, today I know that some movies should be left alone.

Pixar in the last years has made too many sequels without need. For example, I freaking love Finding Nemo, but I was extremely surprised to see that a sequel was being made. I don't think that I ever saw Finding Nemo as a movie that I wanted a sequel. In fact, Pixar's movies are so well closed in itself that it makes impossible for almost them having a sequel. The only exceptions are Toy Story and Incredibles. Both movies have well-defined stories with well defined character arcs that are perfectly ended, but, different of movies like Monsters Inc., Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up, there is nothing about them that really closes the possibilities of a sequel. And after watching them, you are left really wanting to see more. Incredibles 2 is probably Pixar's most requested sequel ever, unlike Finding Dory, Monsters University and especially the Cars sequel. Every time that Pixar announced these sequels, there were tons of criticism and people saying: "why not doing a sequel for Incredibles, instead of this?"

Incredibles 2 is my most anticipated movie in the rest of this year by far. I don't know if it will be as great as the original, but I think that it will be at least a very good movie, I trust Brad Bird and his genuine love for what he does. He said in interviews that from a commercial standpoint, there is no sense to wait this long and that money is not what gets him on table, and I have no reason, based in his career, to doubt him in this aspect.

Another thing that I loved is that he did not age the characters. Many people felt that since 14 years have passed since the first movie's release, the characters should be aged also. I could not disagree more. I want to re-encounter my favorite characters as they were last time, and developing them from there. It is a personal preference that I have for any sequel, and the real-life time lapse did not affect that. As Bird said, it is an animation and as long as you have the same vocal cast, you don't need to age the characters, you can do like The Simpsons, this is eactly what he said and I fully agree. He also said that he considered aging the characters, but soon tought "No, that would suck", in his words. If they were aged, you would lose their Family dinamic established in the first movie, specially the fascinating aspects of being a shy teenager, a energetic young boy and a baby and how their powers are related to their personalities and roles in their family. I, matbezlima, love since always teenager or children super-heros. Static Show was for me one of my most beloved cartoons. This kind of young super-heroes were and are so easily likeable, cool, thriling, identifiable and interesting for ne. Ever since I was a child, I always dreamed of doing a movie starred by children super-heroes. So, you can see how Violet and Dash would easily lose a lot of their original appeal and interest for me, matbezlima, if they were aged. Brad Bird also said that he is not interested in a old Jack-Jack and that he did not want to lose his chance to show how the family discovered their powers.

Returning to the overall sequel theme, there are many great sequels in history. I don't know how it could be good a world without Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars was well closed in itself, but there were so many paths to explore the characters and the wonderful and rich universe that Lucas created that I would honestly consider a tragedy if they never had made a sequel to Star Wars, almost in the same way that I never accepted Incredibles not having a sequel in all these years.

Now, I ask to you all two questions: what are your most anticipated movies in this year? Also, what are the movies that you really wants to see a sequel the most?

I say again: even if The Incredibles 2 is not as fantastic as the original (a insanely hard challenge considering how fantastic the original was), I think that it will be at least a very good and worthy sequel that won't feel as pure cash grab.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:44:32 PM by matbezlima »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Sequels that we want to see
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 06:14:22 AM »
The sequel I most wanted to see, but it will never be, is a sequel to Buckaroo Banzai.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 06:32:25 AM »
There is a Most Anticipated Movies of the Year thread we make every year where everyone publishes their lists. I think there is also a Top 5 for sequels we want to see somewhere.

My most anticipated movie has come and gone, it was Infinity War. Deadpool would also have been high up there if I'd realised I was coming out. I don't have much to look forward to now, except The Incredibles. And other things I am forgetting, probably.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 08:03:19 AM »
The Incredibles 2 (I have to get used to removing the definite article) is a movie I've wanted for a while. Every so often there'd be a rumor about a non-Toy Story Pixar sequel and as a comic book fan and considering the old-school-movie-serials-feeling of the first film, I just felt another Incredibles should be prioritized over say Cars (it's easily the best Fantastic Four film we've ever had  ;D). That being said, I'm happy Brad Bird waited until he had an idea he was comfortable with.

We do tend to think of sequels as being part of the action/sci-fi/fantasy/horror summer-blockbuster type of occassion. I keep thinking of films where sequels were made for acclaimed dramas that didn't need them AND none of them were received well- Texasville (The Last Picture Show), Money Never Sleeps (Wall Street), The Evening Star (Terms of Endearment). The only one that comes to mind from recent memory might be Blade Runner 2049 (although it's sci-fi, it's more of mystery-drama than an action-blockbuster). Although The Color of Money (The Hustler) just popped into my head.

Now for a rambling list of likes and dislikes...

-I love the Marvel movies so any sequel for those I'm interested in. The X-Men series has been interesting when they decide to go outside of their usual formula (Deadpool, Logan) so I was looking forward to New Mutants but that's been pushed to 2019.

-I've enjoyed the new Star Wars trilogy and I liked Force Awakens more than Last Jedi so I'm happy Abrams is returning for IX (although I can say that I'd normally be looking forward to a new Rian Johnson movie over a new J.J. Abrams movie).

-Mission Impossible's are always dependable (since #3)

-A Shane Black Predator movie would normally be high up my list, but the trailer and some tidibits about the plot don't have me as excited as I want to be. Then again, Black will usually surprise me. Hopefully the marketing is holding something back.

-A David Gordon Green Halloween co-written with McBride plus Carpenter back doing the score with it being a modern-day sequel to the second film in the franchise? I like the sound of that.

-Wasn't crazy about Jurassic World, but Bayona tackling this new one? I'm intrigued, but I still wish I hadn't read that many reviews (the film premiered in the UK I believe). But along with Green's Halloween, this is an interesting year for selecting talent to helm some major releases.

-I just ain't getting Mary Poppins Returns. Emily Blunt is a perfect choice and yet there's something about this that just makes me uninterested. Could be Rob Marshall or the muted colors of the first teaser.

-I do want DC films to succeed as a fan of those characters. So hopefully Aquaman (James Wan is an inspired choice) and Shazam will work.

-Fantastic Beasts was a pleasant surprise so I'm looking forward to the new one.

-Venom is a big question mark. Even in the franchise machine, my opinions are still pretty director-driven and Fleischer gets a shrug.

-Some bonus notes- Ridley Scott needs to stop with Alien. I liked Prometheus, but Covenant just didn't do it for me. I'd rather see someone else tackle that world. Also even though I didn't outright hate the most recent installments, I don't see a need for another Bourne or Star Trek right away (although I do love Trek's current ensemble). But I liked Independence Day: Resurgence for its cornballishness so what do I know.

Looking back over my thoughts... I think Halloween might top my list (not counting Marvel; all hail Marvel).
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
I am torn between wanting to see Fassbender play David again and conclude his trilogy and Scott delivering a Prometheus-level disaster. Maybe someone else should finish the job, like you said.

I want to be excited about the new Jurassic World, but Trevorrow may have soured me on the franchise for ever.

I have no idea what Venom and New Mutants will be like. I am mildly curious. Sony and Fox's recent track records, R-rated movies aside, are disastrous. Does anyone know if New Mutants will be more Logan or Apocalypse? Fantastic Beasts was okay, the sequel will make nice Christmas movie fare.

If DC can rescue anything out of its roster at this point it will be a miracle. One I am rooting for, but I've stopped holding my breath. Because I died. I died inside and my heart is as dark know as Zack Snyder's Instagram filter.

Infinity War 2 is the next movie I am most excited about. I am terrified about what Abrams will do to Jonhson's brilliant legacy.

Hail Hydra Marvel!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 05:25:44 PM »
The sequel I most wanted to see, but it will never be, is a sequel to Buckaroo Banzai.

I've been waiting for this for 34 years.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 05:45:44 PM »
Silly 80s people. Don't you know those were times of perdition and dread?

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 12:32:16 AM »
Silly 80s people. Don't you know those were times of perdition and dread?

All the more reason why we needed Buckaroo Bonzai to save us!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 01:19:46 AM »
The next sequel I want to see is Mad Max 5 aka Mad Max: The Wasteland. It may not happen due to the lawsuit. After that, Furious 9. And while that film is definitely happening, it looks less and less likely that The Rock will return what with his bizarre feud with Vin Diesel (that Vin has sustained because of his massive ego).

What else? Inside Out ends with an excellent set-up for a sequel (also, it would be interesting to see how Disney/Pixar handles puberty). Would I be fine with the long-rumored Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie being made without Miyazaki? Yes. Yes I would.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 03:50:35 AM »
I didn't even know about the lawsuit. My despair only increases.

I am ready to see new things out of Pixar. Except for additional The Incredibles sequels, I am fine with them not making another sequel for the next 10 years.

As for Miyazaki sequels, no. Especially with him not in charge.

love