Poll

Choose one.

You're Getting Old
7 (77.8%)
Studio Tentpoles are getting more boring
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Am I getting old or are summer studio tentpoles just getting more boring?  (Read 1526 times)

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
Honestly, the only studio tentpole over the next three months that looks good is THE INCREDIBLES 2. Everything else, blah.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Probably a little bit of both. Curious to look through boxofficemojo and try to find the best summer in recent memory; and the one least dominated by sequels and reboots. Not an easy task.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
You gotta look outside the big stuff. I just saw Upgrade and had a blast with it. And it was made for like no money. Most of the acting isn't great, but damn if it doesn't have the likes of Deadpool 2, Infinity War, and Solo beat in a few scenes.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
Saying their getting more boring implies that things were better before.
Like say 10 years ago in 2008? http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/official-guide-to-the-summer-of-2008/
Iron Man
Speed Racer
Prince Caspian
Crystal Skull
Sex and The City
Kung Fu Panda
You Don't Mess with Zohan
The Happening
The Incredible Hulk
Get Smart
Wall-E
Wanted
Hancock
Hellboy II
The Dark Knight
Step Brothers
The X-Files: I Want to Believe
The Mummy 3
The Rocker
Pineapple Express
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Tropic Thunder

Besides Wall-E and The Dark Knight that's a few ok movies and a ton of forgettable ones. Is that really worse than this summer?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Probably a little bit of both. Curious to look through boxofficemojo[/iurl] and try to find the best summer in recent memory; and the one least dominated by sequels and reboots. Not an easy task.

pixote
That's what Summer is all about. Spending lots of money on safe bets. What's the most expensive movie that isn't a franchise or made by one of the most bankable directors in history? Possibly John Carter. Gods of Egypt. Both were tentpole starters that didn't open in the summer, but were arguably just as boring as the films you're talking about.

Teproc

• Elite Member
It seems like every year people complain about blockbusters being bad "now". I think this is a case of selective memory: you onl remember the best blockbusters from your youth (and also you're more generous towards the bad ones because you grew up with them), and for years preceding your youth it's even more selective because they've already been sorted out, basically.

Even when sequels didn't dominate, it's not like most of the big budget films were really "original".
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
I don't know how old you are but you're definitely getting old. Summers have been great.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Smoke

• band website
I'm 48, and I asked the little missus if she wanted to see a movie the other day and when she said maybe I looked at the listings and didn't see anything I really wanted to see, except maybe the Mr. Rogers doc, which wasn't fitting the bill so we just didn't go.

Have seen some of the big action/superhero movies with my son. They are all (mostly) about equal fun...but genuinely good movies for an adult human? No. Which isn't to say it's gotten worse, at least not in my memory.

I'm hoping Sorry to Bother You gets a wider release next week, it looks interesting.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Evidently I am neither an adult nor a human.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Smoke

• band website
haha - or sometimes I post when I'm a little drunk.

You can probably correct my film history, but I think in time these will play as well as gladiator epics and the disaster movies of the 70's. I'm not saying they're not entertaining, but I just can't take them seriously. I don't like Star Wars, either, it's just not my thing.

love