Author Topic: First Reformed  (Read 581 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
Re: First Reformed
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 02:02:22 PM »
It's also the same movie where Hawke says "the Book of Revelations" instead of "the book of Revelation," which every pastor knows so it has more than a few hiccups.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 10:30:50 PM »
It's also the same movie where Hawke says "the Book of Revelations" instead of "the book of Revelation," which every pastor knows so it has more than a few hiccups.

I hated that misstep.  As a pastor, thatís the worst.

If the theory that the final scene was a vision of sorts, then the hug of the barbs makes excellent symbolic sense.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 01:38:23 PM »
Awesome, I was hoping you'd see this one soon. I think your rundown is pretty accurate to what I saw, too. But I disagree about the ending.

Remember when Michael talks about the last thought you have before you die? I think everything after Rev. Toller pours the drano in to the glass is the last thought he has before he dies (or maybe it's even heaven?). He gets to have the love he kind of needed and he's wrapped up in it for eternity. Seems like a nice enough thought. And it even makes sense with what we see. Remember, Pastor Jeffers couldn't enter the house but Mary seemed to make it in just fine.

This is very interesting and would help save an ending I found far too abrupt and unsatisfying. Though I don't think I saw enough evidence in the film to quite support this theory.