love

Author Topic: Film Directors Who Never Made a Bad Movie  (Read 12707 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Film Directors Who Never Made a Bad Movie
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »
This is a fun way to do this, but I feel like a more representative way would be a poll where people vote on which directors they think have made bad* films. It still elevates more obscure directors like Ghobadi but at least it doesn't make us all look like a bunch of Wes Anderson haters.
That's why I thought of putting it in the form of a game and not a project. I figured the cinema cows would be easy targets because of their high profiles. If not for Following eliminating him from the list there would probably be a race to see who would take out Christopher Nolan first. That's what makes it more likely that the obscure names will survive, unless they get selected for the good of the group. (I wonder if J.J. Abrams will survive because he falls squarely in the middle, or if he's on the chopping block because he's one of the most well known among the survivors.) The number also seemed right for the number of active members we have, with the small hope of possibly drawing out a few names that don't post much.

I have a couple of more similar games in mind, but this was the easiest to figure out and the one I was most excited to see play out. The others should have a more positive slant.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »
Holofcener is responsible for probably the worst film I've seen from this crop, with Nichols close behind, but Alexander Payne has made nothing but bad films, from what I can tell, so he needs to go.

pixote
I was surprised to see Alexander Payne in this group. I thought all the critics hated Downsizing, but it's a 63 on Metacritic with 26 Positive reviews, 19 mixed and only 3 negative.

Anyways, Payne is eliminated. This is becoming like Ten Little Indians.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2018, 02:09:53 PM »
How is the animation marathon going btw?

All my marathons hit a snag the last couple months, but the animation one was recently reinvigorated by a weekend marathon of some wartime Disney shorts. Hopefully my forthcoming reviews capture that interest. Then I have a bit more historical catch-up to do (Russian animated shorts, mostly) before getting back to the heart of the chronological matter in the mid-to-late 1980s (The Brave Little Toaster, The Little Mermaid, Kiki's Delivery Service). Really excited to get to that point.

I'm also struggling to figure out whether I should reread Watership Down before watching the 1978 movie.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2018, 02:37:28 PM »
How is the animation marathon going btw?

I'm also struggling to figure out whether I should reread Watership Down before watching the 1978 movie.

pixote

I'd highly recommend watching the film before re-reading the novel.  The two have different tones and different emphases, and I think that the powerful detail of the novel would cause one to dismiss the power that exists in the less-detailed film.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »
I'll say PTA though.

For which movie(s) in particular?

pixote

Everything up to Boogie Nights I enjoyed. Everything After Boogie Nights I could do without. I skipped Inherent Vice, knowing instinctively that I would absolutely hate it. But I'll say Phantom Thread was probably the worst of all the experiences I had.

Worse than The Master? I agree that The Phantom Thread was an exercise in futility, but The Master sucked shit through a straw.

And Smirnoff, I'm taking Mike Leigh off, for Happy Go Lucky. What a crapfest that film was.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2018, 02:50:27 PM »
If not for Following eliminating him from the list there would probably be a race to see who would take out Christopher Nolan first.

Without a doubt, it would have been me.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2018, 03:05:24 PM »
Worse than The Master? I agree that The Phantom Thread was an exercise in futility, but The Master sucked shit through a straw.

Same same really. You won't get an argument from me. :)

And Smirnoff, I'm taking Mike Leigh off, for Happy Go Lucky. What a crapfest that film was.

I love Happy-Go-Lucky!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2018, 04:23:15 PM »
Mike Leigh... gone.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2018, 04:26:51 PM »
Assuming this ends before Everybody Knows makes it way to American shores (I don't think it's particularly bad, but it seems to generally be agreed upon as Farhadi's weakst film), I predict a Miyazaki v Farhadi finals, though I suppose Bahrani and Ghobadi could get by on obscurity. Pretty surprised Abrams and Coppola survived this far.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2018, 06:47:33 PM »
Mike Leigh... gone.

This game isn't fun anymore. :(
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky