Author Topic: Hereditary  (Read 1423 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Hereditary
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:46:35 PM »
So, what was that?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Hereditary
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:29:51 AM »
It was The VVitch with hallucinations. The ending is almost the same, just a spoonful of Rosemary's Baby added.

When Toni Collette tries to get Gabriel Byrne to throw the book into the fireplace, I thought for sure Byrne was going to reveal he was possessed by the demon this whole time. I don't understand that scene. Why is Collette pleading like she can't do it herself only to then do it herself when Byrne refuses? She didn't know the consequences because if she did she wouldn't have tossed it in.

Why did the son break his nose? I don't understand that scene at all. What was actually happening and how was the demon benefitted by breaking the nose?

By far the most effective moment was the fate of the daughter, though it set me up for a much different movie, one that would make horror out of random tragedy instead of supernatural weirdness. I read the director said this isn't a horror film but a "tragedy  that curdles into a nightmare." If that were true, I believe he would've used less ants.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 09:22:11 PM »
I am not sure why Byrne's caught on fire when she threw in the book, I thought it would have played better if he actually threw in the book and then burst into flames as she watched.  There are a lot of things that can not make sense and often I am not sure the filmmakers care as long as it is effective in building suspense causing a scare.

Overall, I was mostly on for the ride but hated the ending which sort of ruined the experience.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 07:17:32 PM »
It was The Witch, if that film were terrible instead of great.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 08:38:26 PM »
It was The Witch, if that film were terrible instead of great.

I've never agreed with you more.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 03:48:32 PM »
Finally saw this, and agree with everyone here. Very underwhelming and often befuddling. None of the possession elements made any sense. I even found Toni Collete's performance rather ridiculous. And I thought the use of the little girl bordered on exploitative. She has the same condition as the boy on Stranger Things, but that show just treats him like any other character. Here it's - look at this creepy little girl.

Also, when I think about the ending, it's really hilarious. The boy sees his mom hanging and stabbing herself, but what inspires him to jump out the window are the random naked cultist standing in the corner. Like imagine them planning that.