Author Topic: #685: Incredibles 2 / Top 5 Pixar Performances  (Read 113 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
#685: Incredibles 2 / Top 5 Pixar Performances
« on: June 15, 2018, 01:52:03 AM »
Pixar has done a lot of things right over the past 23 years (note the studio's 80% average Metacritic rating), but among its greatest accomplishments is its consistently inspired voice casting. Tom Hanks's Woody works so well not just because of the actor's familiarity, but because Woody also taps into the decency, good humor - and occasional comic hysteria - that define Hanks's on-screen persona. On this week's show, Adam and Josh celebrate that genius eye (and ear) for casting with their Top 5 Pixar Performances along with a review of the new INCREDIBLES 2. Plus Josh's thoughts on the new indie horror film "Hereditary," the Oceans' spin-off "Oceans 8" and Golden Brick nominee "Thoroughbreds."     

Texan Down Under

Smoke

• band website
Re: #685: Incredibles 2 / Top 5 Pixar Performances
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 06:39:07 PM »
Among the few valuable things I've taught my son is to listen to Filmspotting after seeing a thought provoking film (this is actually a sneaky way to get him to appreciate art and culture in general) and the first thing he asked me when I saw him today was whether "those movie guys" talked about Heredity - which I am a bad enough parent to have taken a 14 year old to see (horror is his new thing, and it sure beats superheroes for me).

Anyway...while the short bit here was nice, I'd love to hear a full review. This movie seems to have a whole lot to delve into plot-wise and some pretty cool director-y stuff (which Josh alluded to) plus that last 20 minutes or so, which my son disliked more than me, but we agreed it changed the whole tenor of the film. Lots to talk about.

BTW when we left the movie he compared it to Babadook, so I was proud when Josh did the same. Although he may want to consider that a 14-year beat him to it.

PS, if you ever get a chance to hear Micheal Phillips' promo spot for an upcoming item on WFMT, please do. Hearing him speak in the famed FMT cadence is a delight.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: #685: Incredibles 2 / Top 5 Pixar Performances
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 04:53:12 AM »
I cannot forgive Adam for not making a Peter O'Toole pun when Josh talked about an actor using his voice as a tool. For shame.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/