Inspired by seeing Frank Turner last weekend. He had two opening acts: The Menzingers, who were on a mission to force everyone in the Aragon Ballroom to become diehard fans, and Lucero, who made the curious choice to play a new album (which no one can buy or stream or has even heard) in it's entirety, leaving the crowd in a confused mood.
My personal criteria for this list is short: It had to be a band whom I had little to no knowledge of beforehand (Cee Lo Green, The Flaming Lips, Ike Reilly and The Menzingers are, sadly, out.) But, feel free to use your own criteria.
5. Fleming & John opening for Ben Folds Five
4. Ours opening for Pete Yorn
3. Sparklehorse opening for The Flaming Lips
2. Jurassic 5 opening for Fiona Apple
1. The Get Up Kids opening for Weezer