Author Topic: Top 100 Club: 1SO  (Read 51304 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Top 100 Club: 1SO
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2018, 10:12:46 AM »
I think I remember that you’re not a fan of Zemeckis, but it never stays in my brain because he was on creative fire during this period starting with Stone. In the vicinity of Spielberg, and better than him in this same time frame.

Last time I watched I also noticed some brief moments that have aged badly, but it didn’t ruin the overall fun and cleverness of the script. (That Easter Bunny is an All-Time great moment for me.)

This is where I discovered Michael Douglas, but if he’s a sore point that’s going to be a problem, since this established his persona to me. The campfire scene has him naughty, macho and sincere. It’s the perfect moment to set him apart from Bogart or Errol Flynn or Indiana Jones.

We often disagree on music but I think the Eddy Grant song is cheesy. I’d go so far as to say the Billy Ocean song in the sequel is the one improvement over this film.

Thanks for taking the time. I used to think it was easy for anyone to make time in their month for one movie, but my life is showing me a different opinion. I’m also reaching that age where I choose to like what I like and try more often to let others do the same. You’ve been a guide to me all these years, always just a step or two ahead, and I’d like to say thanks.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »
I really love that Billy Ocean song too, but I'd give the edge to Grant.

Another (semi-)gripe: I know it's a Macguffin, but why do we learn practically nothing about this stone? Or this map, or how Turner's brother-in-law got hold of it, or why everyone knew he had it? In a way I kind of have to admire the fact that they couldn't be bothered with backstory, but it also feels a bit lazy.

What makes that moment All-Time great to you? To me it was eye-rollingly predictable.

I do miss movies sometimes. It's just that TV is a lot easier because it can be digested in smaller chunks, especially when your partner isn't as big a movie fan as you are. It was a nice surprise last night when I suggested we watch RTS and she said "sure".

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2018, 11:40:19 AM »
The movie, which I saw in the theater, may have been my introduction to sardonic humor. The scene is your classic “find the treasure” moment. Even if I was ready for it to be some kind of decoy and not the treasure itself, I still wasn’t ready for such a smart-ass choice.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »
I just watched this for the first time last week and I fall somewhere between the two of you. I thought Turner was great, managing to be trepidatious and vivacious at the same time. She occasionally flashes a smile that completely sells the thrill of the adventure she's on. Douglas, on the other hand, didn't really do much for me (though I did like that campfire scene). This would have been the perfect role for Kurt Russell, who I imagine must have been in contention after working with Zemeckis on Used Cars and his heroic roles in Escape From New York and The Thing.

It certainly wobbles on the line of how it portrays the Colombian characters and setting, but never felt like it crosses it. The movie has some good comedy moments, fun chases and action, and a playfulness that won me over.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2018, 05:07:48 PM »
Mrs. oldkid has wanted us to rewatch Romancing, and I've been putting it off.  I have fond memories of the film and I'm not sure it will hold up to my memories.  Mrs. oldkid will love it as much as she did, but I'm afraid of ruining it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2019, 09:40:22 AM »
Under the weather today.

oldkid has tapped me to host March and rather than dump my 500+ Essentials on everyone again - especially when they're in need of revision - I've come up with two options which I'm revising today.

1. A select list of around 115 Buried Treasures from my Essentials and Discoveries that I would love to talk about. Most of this list comes from before the 1980s and there is nothing from this Decade.

2. What I like to call "The smirnoff Option". It's a rough draft of my Best of the 2010s. Around 115 films for people looking for recommendations from our current Decade.

I will probably make both lists Public this weekend.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2019, 03:34:07 PM »
To be honest either option sounds good to me, but that may change when I see the lists :))

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2019, 08:40:22 PM »
This will certainly increase my "to watch" list.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2019, 12:51:38 PM »
The Lists are Live!

Buried Treasures and Discoveries

Best of the 2010s (Rough Draft)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2019, 01:07:03 PM »
I've seen 14 of the Buried Treasures.  I have six of them in my top films.  I should spend some time with this list, but that's a lot to watch.

love