Author Topic: Top 100 Club: 1SO  (Read 51307 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Top 100 Club: 1SO
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 09:06:49 PM »

ferris, for many Aguirre is a person's first Herzog. I love the thought of you going in with high expectations because of what's already been seen. I hope it can live up to that for you.

I think the best strategy is to let it just wash over me as it comes...

Wait...hmmm do I want the English, German dubbed, English-subtitled one, or do I want the English language one?  Also I see a 94 minute version and a another version over 2 hours. Help Filmspotters!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 10:42:23 PM »
On set, people spoke in a variety of languages, much like an Italian film. It was dubbed into German and English. I believe Kinski does his own dubbing in both. I've seen both and don't prefer one over the other.

A longer cut is news to me. The 94 minute version is the one that's in my Essentials. I think the compact running time is a definite plus because the film's pace is like nothing else. It's slow and aimless, but with a definite undertow of going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »

A longer cut is news to me. The 94 minute version is the one that's in my Essentials. I think the compact running time is a definite plus because the film's pace is like nothing else. It's slow and aimless, but with a definite undertow of going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole.

The "longer cut" was something I saw on Youtube that turns out was an uploading mistake by the guy who posted it.

I ended up watching the 94 min in English. I'll post my review later.  No doubt 100% Herzog
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2018, 12:33:29 AM »

No doubt 100% Herzog

Makes me want to list Herzog's moves from most to least Herzogian.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2018, 08:21:33 AM »
For least, I'd say Bad Lieutenant, with Rescue Dawn and Where the Green Ants Dream close behind.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2018, 02:34:23 PM »
The Lady Eve

Been dragging my feet to see this and finally asked myself why. Bottom line is, I didn't want to see Barbara Stanwyck being a cold-hearted, ruthless money-grabber. I'll save that for Double Indemnity, thank you very much. I know she can do it well, but this is supposed to be comedy and I like her too much to see her being a jerk just for laughs. A few minutes of her being onscreen, I breathe a big sigh of relief. She's so dang charming, I know all will turn out all right. There's a lot of jerk behavior, but somehow she makes it endearing and kind of understandable.

I don't expect logic to play a big part in screwball comedy, but I want heart, otherwise it's just people falling all over the place. Endearing Fonda is splattered on the floor more times than I can count, but because I care, I laugh and like him and the movie all the more. There's a deeper theme here of redemption, but for the most part they're playfully splashing about in the shallow end. Delightful.

My apologies 1SO, for not trusting you more and hesitating less. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2018, 09:30:10 PM »
I wondered what the hold up was. Thanks for solving that mystery. If you want to know Barbara Stanwyck's type, she is best at playing "fallen women". Sometimes we watch her fall, sometimes we meet her at the bottom where she either pulls herself up or pulls others down with her. There's a quote from her I can't find where she says she isn't afraid to play her 40th fallen woman so long as she can do it differently than the previous 39.

With Lady Eve, she's so lost in the con game she's forgotten how to function normally in a relationship. Fonda reminds her and reminds her how wonderful that can be, but when he spurns her, she goes back to her old vengeful habits. She treats being dumped as being on the losing end of a con and reacts accordingly.

I like her dropping the apple on Fonda's head, but the scene where she's watching the competition is one of my favorite moments from her. So charming. The entire first half is just perfect, but my favorite scene (today) is when she keeps The Colonel from cheating Hopsy at cards. Charles Coburn plays The Colonel. He won an Oscar for The More the Merrier and I can't choose a favorite performance between the two.

Glad you had fun splashing around.
"Positively the same dame."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2018, 10:48:54 PM »
I wondered what the hold up was. Thanks for solving that mystery. If you want to know Barbara Stanwyck's type, she is best at playing "fallen women". Sometimes we watch her fall, sometimes we meet her at the bottom where she either pulls herself up or pulls others down with her. There's a quote from her I can't find where she says she isn't afraid to play her 40th fallen woman so long as she can do it differently than the previous 39.

:)

You probably have this answer somewhere on the boards, but what is your favorite work from Stanwyck? Top 5?

With Lady Eve, she's so lost in the con game she's forgotten how to function normally in a relationship. Fonda reminds her and reminds her how wonderful that can be, but when he spurns her, she goes back to her old vengeful habits. She treats being dumped as being on the losing end of a con and reacts accordingly.

Even in her revenge, she takes the time to observe and compliment him on his goodness (his ability to forgive the stable boy story). It wasn't enough to keep her from moving forward with her plan, but she still is impressed. I like that.

I like her dropping the apple on Fonda's head, but the scene where she's watching the competition is one of my favorite moments from her. So charming. The entire first half is just perfect, but my favorite scene (today) is when she keeps The Colonel from cheating Hopsy at cards.

Agree! This is when I knew she was a good egg.

Charles Coburn plays The Colonel. He won an Oscar for The More the Merrier and I can't choose a favorite performance between the two.

I haven't seen that! Looks cute. :)

Glad you had fun splashing around.
"Positively the same dame."

:)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2018, 11:13:50 PM »
You probably have this answer somewhere on the boards, but what is your favorite work from Stanwyck? Top 5?
Top 5:
Ball of Fire (1941)
The Lady Eve (1941)
Double Indemnity (1944)
The Furies (1950)
Meet John Doe (1941)

3 More:
Ladies of Leisure (1930)
The Mad Miss Manton (1938)
Remember the Night (1940)

1941 was an incredible year for Stanwyck. She was nominated for Ball of Fire but the winner was Joan Fontaine for Suspicion. I've been unkind about Fontaine in general and that year she won over Stanwyck, Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland and Greer Garson. Suspicion happens to be my favorite Fontaine performance and she'd be my 2nd pick behind Stanwyck.

Charles Coburn plays The Colonel. He won an Oscar for The More the Merrier and I can't choose a favorite performance between the two.

I haven't seen that! Looks cute. :)
I'll always have a good rom-com recommendation for you.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2018, 11:32:44 PM »
Top 5:
Ball of Fire (1941)
The Lady Eve (1941)
Double Indemnity (1944)
The Furies (1950)
Meet John Doe (1941)

Oh! I think I would do this order too! I'm just happy I've seen each of these. There aren't many more than this I've seen though. Christmas in Connecticut is the only one that comes to mind atm.

3 More:
Ladies of Leisure (1930)
The Mad Miss Manton (1938)
Remember the Night (1940)

Adding these three and The More The Merrier to my watchlist!

1941 was an incredible year for Stanwyck. She was nominated for Ball of Fire but the winner was Joan Fontaine for Suspicion. I've been unkind about Fontaine in general and that year she won over Stanwyck, Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland and Greer Garson. Suspicion happens to be my favorite Fontaine performance and she'd be my 2nd pick behind Stanwyck.

Three movies in 1941 and all in your top 5! Wow.

I don't think I've seen Suspicion! I'm accutely aware of my gaps in movies when we start talking about lists and such. :D I don't know how to compare Fontaine's work, because she has this ethereal quality permeating everything I've seen of hers. What is your take on Letter from an Unknown Woman?

I'll always have a good rom-com recommendation for you.

Lucky me!

And thank you. :)