Author Topic: TV Thoughts and Questions  (Read 4697 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
TV Thoughts and Questions
« on: July 13, 2018, 06:10:33 AM »
Figured the movie thread deserved to have a little sister.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: TV Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 06:31:24 AM »
Here is my opening thought/question: What's going to happen to television series in the future?

We have always watched older movies, movies hat were made before we were born, some decades older than us. The same has never been true about TV though. There are a few people who will watch cult series they are interested in, and some parents show their children the series they grew up with (to this day I thank the heavens my mother never made me watch Little House on the Prairie), or their favourites, but by and large we always stick to contemporary television. I wonder if the same is going to hold true for the golden age of television. Old television is quaint and corny and generally doesn't age very well. The production values had nothing to do with those of movies. Same could be said about any of their qualitative aspects. They also spoke much more to the sensibilities of the period, I feel, and were less timeless and universal as big screen fare.

Will saltine one day show Mad Men to her grandchildren? Will Martin watch Breaking Bad with his kid (you know, when they're 11 or something)? Will teenagers look up Top 50 Best Sci Fi & Fantasy Series of All Time lists on the internet and decide to watch that sweet looking show with dragons and all the sex? Will groups of nerdy friends discuss Westworld and Lost for hours after they binge the first season together? Will our current special effects hold up, or will they seem as awkward and cringy as much of Buffy does to me? Will the Firefly cult survive my generation? Will anyone remember Hannibal when I am not there to rave about it anymore? Will Friends and Community remain forever funny, or will tastes evolve too much for that?

I hope we cherish and preserve these series as much as we do movies.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:19:59 AM »
My friends were like, you should watch Psych, it's fun. And then I looked and it was 100+ episodes that were 48 minutes each and went "pass." Arguably prestige shows that have shorter season runs are more approachable but I do think time is the biggest impediment to retrospective evaluation of TV.

Though I did watch like 150 episodes of Gilmore Girls some 15 years after its initial run.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:09:15 AM »
My friends were like, you should watch Psych, it's fun. And then I looked and it was 100+ episodes that were 48 minutes each and went "pass." Arguably prestige shows that have shorter season runs are more approachable but I do think time is the biggest impediment to retrospective evaluation of TV.

Though I did watch like 150 episodes of Gilmore Girls some 15 years after its initial run.

I have got 'Psych' on DVD and plan to watch it one day. I used to watch it when it was on TV, got to season 4/5, but as with most US shows on TV in the UK, They often struggle with distribution and end up getting shuffled around a number of different channels. 'Weeds' was another one!

But as Bondo says time is the biggest factor here...I have to watch a lot of football ::)

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
You shouldn't watch past the third season of Weeds anyway.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 10:44:53 AM »
I agree about Weeds. Though you probably could push to 4. The last 2 minutes of Weeds season 3 is still one of my favourite endings to a show.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »
Will the Firefly cult survive my generation?

Ooo ooo I got this one:  Yes! :)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »
feris is already indoctrinating middle schoolers into the Church of Joss Whedon I see.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 04:41:51 PM »
feris is already indoctrinating middle schoolers into the Church of Joss Whedon I see.
Someone's gotta do it.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 08:58:17 PM »
Going back to watch some shows is almost as unappealing as going back to watch old stand-up. Eddie Murphy Raw/Delerious... tried watching it, and I'm like "this is awful". Those are legendary routines. Old Dangerfield, Carlin, Kinison, Hicks... can't even take two minutes of it.

Like I've thought about sitting down with Cheers, or whatever old sitcom. I could never do it. I actually think an old soap operas would hold up better than some old sitcoms in terms of providing entertainment value to a modern audience.

Something like ER I could see getting into though (I did see some of it at the time). Dramas. Serious stuff. Anything that isn't reliant on humour.

That said, probably the farthest I've ever successfully reached back was eating breakfast to Happy Days episodes before leaving for highschool (because it was one of the few things on in the morning). That would be like 15 to 20 years after it aired. But that was desperation. Given more of a choice I would never be able to sit still for it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:02:48 PM by smirnoff »