Author Topic: TV Thoughts and Questions  (Read 4800 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: TV Thoughts and Questions
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 10:59:48 PM »
Like I've thought about sitting down with Cheers, or whatever old sitcom. I could never do it. I actually think an old soap operas would hold up better than some old sitcoms in terms of providing entertainment value to a modern audience.
Golden Girls holds up.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 11:10:48 PM »
Like I've thought about sitting down with Cheers, or whatever old sitcom. I could never do it. I actually think an old soap operas would hold up better than some old sitcoms in terms of providing entertainment value to a modern audience.
Golden Girls holds up.

Yeah? I saw it now and then back in its day, but I highly doubt it would generate even a chuckle now.

Do you find sit-com style shows fits your viewing habits these days? I don't think I've watched a true (i.e. canned laughter) sit-com since maybe Friends/Seinfeld. And even that was only if it happened to be on (or a rerun). If you consider The Office a true sit-com then there's that. That's the only one I can think of that I have for sure watched every episode. Oh, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Pretty few and far between though.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 11:15:56 PM »
Parks and Recreation has been at the top of my Watchlist since it was still on the air. I just can never make the time to commit to it.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 11:20:01 PM »
Parks and Recreation has been at the top of my Watchlist since it was still on the air. I just can never make the time to commit to it.

Which is funny because it's, what, 22 minute episodes? But I'm the same way.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 11:42:42 PM »
There are early shows that would benefit to having highlight reels or selected episodes:

Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
Gilligan's Island (simply because of the silliness of the situation)
The Brady Bunch
Scooby Doo (which has a life of it's own)
The Honeymooners (hard to find, tho)
I Love Lucy

Star Trek, it seems, will never die, and The Next Generation is worthy after the cringy first season.

Then there are shows that I think will be interesting and watchable as a whole, or at least a number of seasons for a long time:
MASH
The West Wing
Possibly Hill Street Blues

I think certain TV shows will have a long life.  They have their place in visual entertainment and have an integrated history with, but different from, movies and deserves their own historic place.  The current "golden age" will certainly have permanent fixtures.  The Wire is made up of five long, excellent movies.  I won't give up on it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 08:49:11 AM »
Going back to watch some shows is almost as unappealing as going back to watch old stand-up. Eddie Murphy Raw/Delerious... tried watching it, and I'm like "this is awful". Those are legendary routines. Old Dangerfield, Carlin, Kinison, Hicks... can't even take two minutes of it.

Something like ER I could see getting into though (I did see some of it at the time). Dramas. Serious stuff. Anything that isn't reliant on humour.

Why do you hate laughter?

Cheers is bonkers. I have been watching it on and off for a few years but it is really terrific. Still like Frasier more though.

Then there are shows that I think will be interesting and watchable as a whole, or at least a number of seasons for a long time:
MASH
The West Wing

Considering the amount of times I have watched the first four seasons of MASH, I'd say it has a lot of staying power. And West Wing will be amazing for ever. I'm pretty sure 1SO's retirement plan is to fly a plane all over the country to drop pages of Aaron Sorkin scripts over populated areas.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »
The Honeymooners is really incredible (and available on Amazon Prime).

I just finished a project about the history of sitcoms and I was blown away by how good many of them were and how well they hold up.

I Love Lucy
The Dick van Dyke Show
Mary Tyler Moore
Taxi - with one of the funniest scenes of all-time:

https://youtu.be/39k067hcgYY

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »
Never heard about most of those. Isn't Honeymooners a bit misogynistic?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »
Never heard about most of those. Isn't Honeymooners a bit misogynistic?

A running joke is how "one of these days" he's going to smack his wife, but it's clear he never does, and his wife is always smarter than him - and she has amazing put-downs.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 02:35:05 PM »
Taxi - with one of the funniest scenes of all-time:

https://youtu.be/39k067hcgYY#no

Very funny! It takes patience, but it's so worth it. It's a bit like old movies. They too take patience, because films and T.V. today are so fast paced. It's work to slow down and get in the mindset of a slower time.

philip, are you at liberty to talk about your history of sitcoms project?