Author Topic: Babel- spoiler edition  (Read 11078 times)

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
Re: Babel- spoiler edition
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 07:25:36 AM »
I'm with Mark too, but it's lame the way he says it, as if it's a cack-handed reveal of a twist or something, as if the point in the movie where we find out the link is supposed to be some profound eye-opening moment. He talks about it like it's supposed to be the equilvalent of The Ususal Suspects or The Sixth Sense or some mystery story but it's far bigger than that and the reveal scene is only a small cog in it. I like his show but if it wasn't for Mayo reigning him in sometimes he'd be too high on the smugometer for me.

Agreed.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

tommy d

• 'what do you mean "I'm Funny" ?'
Re: Babel- spoiler edition
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 04:30:21 PM »
I don't think the stories have to be literally linked, even though he does bakchandedly link the Japanese story to the other two with the gun link... They are all definitely  linked in the exploration of the relationship between parents and their children and what those relationships mean to the participants in them.
I agree.  You've summed up how I looked at, and appreciated, this film. Mark Kermode seems to be very hung up on there having to be a strong narrative connection between all the strands. Perhaps Inarritu just made the film he wanted to make, setting out the challenges he wanted to look at with the Brad Pitt opening narration.
And I too found Mark's reaction, the impatient, pouting that the stories be balanced and connected, ridiculous. So he didn't like the film, too bad! I did.
""I am moved by fancies that are curled around these images, and cling:
The notion of some infinitely gentle infinitely suffering thing."