Author Topic: Top 100 Club: Dave the Necrobumper  (Read 37999 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Top 100 Club: Dave the Necrobumper
« Reply #290 on: November 27, 2021, 06:32:30 AM »
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring
Rough month for me that made it so long until I got to this piece. As I've been getting into Zen practice and learning more about Buddhism, I can especially connect to this. The set design itself, this floating temple far from the world, is austere and fascinating. The outside world is rarely heard from as Master seeks to teach his pupil all he can about living. The youth begins, in spring, as one that has no respect for nature, and that type of disrespect can turn into harsher actions in the future. But when the outside world connects with the floating temple, it is as if Pandora's box has opened a bit. Now, our young man gets a taste of the flesh, and his obsessive desire takes him from his life as a Buddhist monk, and he tries to go out into the world to be a regular and decent man. Well, that didn't work so well, so he returned, chastened. It became clear: There's nothing of much worth outside of this little floating temple. He returns to his practice, setting right his wrongs. It's the perfect background to discuss ideas of good and evil, jealous to craze, truly, the Everything. This is a patient film, full of nature and animals. It's slow cinema in some respects, though there is a fairly clear plot. Nevertheless, I was engaged from top to bottom. What ore can you ask for?

Glad you enjoyed it. This film and Ostrov (2006) sort of connect up in my mind with the way they look at religion. When I first saw SSAWS it was the beauty and tranquillity of the temple the drew me in. The death of the old monk, tragic and harrowing all in one, cemented this film in my list. Yes very much a slow film. If you are looking for a similar film I would suggest Ostrov, which can be found on YouTube with English subs (although if you speak Russian you will not need them).

Thank you for watching

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #291 on: November 27, 2021, 09:20:23 AM »
What ore can you ask for?

Definitely bauxite.  ;D

I know there was a top 5 of against type movies you like and this is definitely one for me.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2021, 05:02:49 AM »
Boom tsh

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #293 on: December 02, 2021, 04:40:37 AM »
What ore can you ask for?
Definitely bauxite.  ;D
Boom tsh
Excellent Foley work, Dave. Takes me back to my days at the strip mine. :))

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #294 on: December 02, 2021, 07:07:12 AM »
;D    ;D    ;D    ;D