Author Topic: Top 100 Club: Bondo  (Read 21700 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Top 100 Club: Bondo
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2020, 09:13:52 PM »
1SO, might be asking too much that if you watch a handful you find something that would crack your Top 100 for the 2010s, but it'll be interesting to see if something puts in a good challenge to it.

Here I'd like to go with THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY and SEVENTH SEAL, both look really interesting!  Looking forward to it!

Once you watch TSHDT you should go check out the spoiler thread that ET started last week upon his first viewing. We can make the film have a bit of a moment.

The perfect excuse to finally watch Midsommar

More like Endsommar, amirite?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:19:38 PM by Bondo »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2020, 11:19:11 PM »
Hi Bondo, I picked up Ruby Sparks at the library before I saw your updated list, but I see that it is still there at 110! KOL is interested in talking about They Shoot Horses, so now you have two more people to add to your "bit of a moment." I'm also going to watch Anna Karenina, since I've been looking for a good excuse to sit down with it. I'm only 8 years slow. :)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2020, 03:20:14 AM »
At minimum:
Nausicaa
5 Centimeters Per Second

I'd like to watch Innocence, if someone knows where one can find a good stream, rental, etc.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2020, 06:37:54 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure Innocence is floating out there somewhere on the darker web but that it seems to have vanished from even purchase options is highly frustrating. Looking forward to the animation month takes.

Hi Bondo, I picked up Ruby Sparks at the library before I saw your updated list, but I see that it is still there at 110! KOL is interested in talking about They Shoot Horses, so now you have two more people to add to your "bit of a moment." I'm also going to watch Anna Karenina, since I've been looking for a good excuse to sit down with it. I'm only 8 years slow. :)

Excited to hear from you on all three. I think they all will suit you pretty well.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2020, 04:13:13 PM »
To all who have responded and those still trying to make a decision. Please give Sundays and Cybele a chance, believe me, you'll love it. It won Best Foreign Film at the 1962 Academy Awards.

As for me, I have on my radar, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (I've only seen the original), The Lobster (Plot sounds interesting), A Time for Burning (Can't get enough documentaries in my life) and Victim (I've always wanted to see this).
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2020, 04:55:57 PM »
Sundays and Cybele, like They Shoot Horses Don't They, came to me via a recommendation from 1SO, so if anyone takes that one on he's getting rather a bonus month.  :D

That's a diverse set of possibilities. I just rewatched The Lobster (third viewing) and then watching Love on the Spectrum it made me retroactively think there was something a bit autistic about The Lobster's formalism.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2020, 08:51:31 PM »
Sundays and Cybele, like They Shoot Horses Don't They, came to me via a recommendation from 1SO, so if anyone takes that one on he's getting rather a bonus month.  :D

Technically, no, because I turned him onto it, and Sandy too. And because I don't take a month, I just watch and write, it's a wash.  ;)
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2020, 11:13:43 PM »
Midsommar - At first, I was really into this. Like, thinking it might be headed for my own tops list. Aster does some masterful camerawork here (also when Dani looks up at the tree is the most accurate representation of a mushroom trip that I've ever seen). Though there is undoubtedly a debt to The Wicker Man, the film is enough of its own thing to deflect comparisons... it's not like The Wicker Man has the market cornered on paganism anyway (one could say that film owes a debt to Haxan). And it was unsettling in a provocative, engaging manner. Florence Pugh was really good, and I was surprised and thrilled to see William Jackson Harper.

But along the way it lost me a bit. Partly because of the unnecessary graphic gore, but more because it felt like it was trying to do too much thematically. The cult allure of a "family" for a grieving girl, the disintegration of a relationship, the boorish behavior of Americans abroad, and then of course the paganism (and the would-be anthropologist interlopers). In the midst of all that, the characters got kind of lost and didn't feel very real to me. On top of that, it was all a bit sluggish (maybe not an issue if you watch films at 1.5x speed?). Perhaps the director's cut does more to flesh out the characters, or maybe it just slows it all down even more.

I liked it a tad more than Hereditary. I think Aster has very good artistic instincts, but fumbles a bit in the execution. Rating: Good (75)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2020, 11:33:52 PM »
Haha, well, I preferred the director's cut, but watched each version in the theatre at 1x speed and it essentially never felt slow to me. Even though I've heard talk of Netflix rolling it out, I've not actually seen it. I can do it with DVDs and with I think Kanopy when viewed on my computer (not my usual venue for Kanopy). It's not like I'm constantly watching films in 1.5x.

This, The Wicker Man, Haxan and Apostle are all films I really like and all into the pagan horror, so I guess that's just something that works for me more broadly.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2020, 12:35:15 AM »
On top of that, it was all a bit sluggish (maybe not an issue if you watch films at 1.5x speed?).

Haha, well, I preferred the director's cut, but watched each version in the theatre at 1x speed and it essentially never felt slow to me. Even though I've heard talk of Netflix rolling it out, I've not actually seen it. I can do it with DVDs and with I think Kanopy when viewed on my computer (not my usual venue for Kanopy). It's not like I'm constantly watching films in 1.5x.

I didn't even know this existed. I've heard of people doing it with podcasts, and I wonder if my horror at the idea is believing in the genuine quality of real-time (which I know movies aren't generally done in |real time" anyway, but they are generall recorded and edited where 1 second=1 second, and slow-motion or sped-up bits are artistically intentional, but anyway...), or just precious and the human capacity for taking in various forms of media is outrunning the way in which they are presented. I would think the experience would be cheapened, but also think if people want the option, then why not(?). I'd worry what it would do for slow cinema, like Satatango or Jeanne Dielmann, where the point is slowness. But what is it like, exactly?
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

love