Author Topic: Top 100 Club: Bondo  (Read 21710 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Top 100 Club: Bondo
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:44:59 AM »
Looks like I'm up for August. My filmic organization has atrophied greatly over the past couple years so I don't have a particularly organized list to share but

Current Top "100" (September 2021)
Best of Decade Lists

The first list is I suppose the preferred for this month. It isn't particularly ranked after the first 20-25. The Bondo Collection has many more options if you need more than the 81 in the first list.

1SO (Boy Meets Girl)
1SO (I, Daniel Blake)
1SO (In Time)
Dave The Necrobumper (XXY)
oldkid (Hypocrites)
oldkid (Obvious Child)

PeacefulAnarchy (Dear White People)
Sandy (The Barbarian Invasions)
Sandy (Innocence)
Teproc (Cabin in the Woods)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 07:38:30 PM by Bondo »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Top 100 Club: Bondo
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:05:07 AM »
Moonlight and Lady Bird are both on my watchlist, and on Amazon Prime, so it's just a matter of setting aside the time.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:10:00 AM »
I'll do at least I, Daniel Blake.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 09:15:20 AM »
Boy Meets Girl (2014)
I, Daniel Blake (2016)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »
Lot I haven't seen on this list. I will probably check out The Florida Project.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »
I won't be able to watch anything until the last week of the month.
I have 15 unseen, will probably watch Florida Project plus something else ( Daniel Blakie, Oblivious Child, Mustang and Dear White people catch my eye)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »
I have 14 unseen, and a number of these are on my list to watch.  I really have no excuse not to catch up with at least a few of these:

Water Lillies
The Class
The Idiots
Saved!
High Strung
Obvious Child
Innocence

And from The Bondo Collection:
Hyppcrites (which I never finished)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:59:05 PM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 03:18:48 PM »
Lots unseen, but several are available on streaming and I have Shape of Water on disk. Not sure what I will get to.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 11:31:10 PM »
oldkid's list saved it from being a completely 2010s affair. I imagine things would tilt that way in that I haven't been making many old discoveries lately leaving a well worn list of films that have been picked over for a few rounds at this point so the recent stuff is what's new. Also I get further and further from a lot of viewings of all but my top tier older films so their essential aspect is less sure.

I forget if anyone has caught up with Boy Meets Girl since I started touting it a couple years ago so I do hope you get to it 1SO. It's a different tier of film, more scrappy indie than polished arthouse.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 02:25:08 PM »
Hypocrites

I love me a good sermon, and this movie is a good sermon.  It is immensely creative and casts its net wide.  And it has a naked woman.  Nudity in a sermon really promotes the message.  Never tried that, myself (and I never will).

I love the unique presentation of cinema, the analogy, the parallel storylines and the cinematography. It makes for a really unique movie experience, even though it was made in 1915.  It reminds me some of the approach of Intolerance, so I guess Griffith stole the basic approach from Lois Weber?  Unless the parallel plotline was used in cinema before? I gave up on Intolerance because it is just so long.  Hypocrites is just right at 45 minutes.  Another point for Weber!

But I wonder at her definition of hypocrisy.  Some are certainly presenting one kind of life, while living another.  Others are just doing wrong, like gambling, but does a person gambling really take away from being a good husband or father?  It could, but doesn't necessarily.  One thing I found about this film is that praise of "truth" could also be praising condemnation of others.  I loved the brief section called "the mote", indicating that judging others has it's own price.  Self-examination is good in a sermon.

There's a lot good here, but it gets a bit too preachy and judgy in the end, I think.  Application is good at the end of a sermon, but the more specific you are, the more you can miss the mark, the less applicable it is for future generations.  Glad I saw it.

3.5/5

Obvious Child

There are, I am told, three commandments of comedy:
1. Comedy is subjective
2. Comedy is subjective
3. Comedy is subjective.

Nevertheless, I would say there would need to be an addendum, which might say, "Abortion is never funny."  That would make sense to me.
However, Obvious Child is the exception to this absolute.

Mind you, Obvious Child isn't about abortion.  It is part "coming of age" (well, a maturing, anyway) and part romantic comedy.  It is about life and relationships and stand up comedy and friendship.  But abortion weighs this comedy down, keeping it grounded and real and even the comedy is serious. It seems that this film is an influence on the Mrs. Maisel series, with it's combination of real life and reflection on the stage.

Mrs. Maisel, however, when she goes on stage, the comedy is deftly practiced reflection.  Jenny Slate however, has that disease, that sense of attempting she-doesn't-know-what and faking it until she makes it.  The jokes sometimes land, sometimes not, but they all need a bit more spit and polish.  And that is wonderful.  The comedy truly reflects the life it is trying to reflect.  Life is trial and error and half steps and often multiple unending trials happening all at once.  It is crazy and wonderful and heartbreaking and uncomfortable and half-laughs all at the same time.  It is a mild sort of insanity, just like the stand up here. 

Good fun, nothing deep, but recommended.

3.5/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky