love

Author Topic: Top 100 Club: Bondo  (Read 21708 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Top 100 Club: Bondo
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2019, 06:06:33 PM »
Just in case anyone wants to get an advance look at what is coming next month, here is my newly reconstituted version of The Bondo Collection. May not be the 100% final final product (though if I take anything off that you plan to watch just watch it) because I went through the 5700 films I've watched pretty quickly to assemble this rough top 10%.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2019, 09:52:55 PM »
There are almost 100 for me to consider. A few titles where I was always kind of interested but just need a small push. (Boxtrolls, Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, Laura)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2019, 01:55:46 PM »
Just a quick on to get the month started.

A House Divided (an Alice Guy film)
A silent comedy by one of the early female pioneers of film.  A couple becomes jealous of affairs based on false assumptions, and they determine to "live together separately" communicating through notes.  It's a very sit-com situation, pretty silly, but still more insightful on marriage and the relations between men and women than, say, the early Chaplain or Arbuckle films.  Worth the 13 mintues.

3.5/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2019, 06:01:21 AM »
I feel like “Worth the 13 minutes” hits on part of why my standard for short films is perhaps lower...it asks less of you so maybe needs to offer less in return. Whereas a 120 minute film might have to offer something truly profound, in 13 minutes if it offers something enjoyable and coherent, I feel rewarded.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »
These are three I want to see,

Sunset Song
The Edge of Seventeen
Booksmart

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2019, 09:50:09 PM »
The latter two lend themselves to comparison as films to some degree about (teen) female friendship. But there might be a fun contrast between either and Sunset Song since that is more defined by solitude.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2019, 01:16:13 AM »
I've been anxiously anticipating a deep dive into The Bondo Collection, unexpected delayed by my opportunity to catch Rocketman, the surprise (to me) release of 3 new Black Mirror episodes and I was almost delayed tonight by my new computer, which was as smooth a transition from my old laptop as I've ever had.

Laura, Shadows of a Summer
I've been curious to take a serious look as David Hamilton, who I know little about but associate with gauzy cinematography and taboo sexuality. That's all pretty true, though watching one of his films shows there is some talent, or at least a strong sense of personal style. This isn't some pre-Skin-a-max Red Shoe Diary or a film that pretends to be deep to give some respectability. It doesn't develop its ideas all that strongly either. The most interesting character here is the mother, still young and highly-attractive though no longer as desired as her teenage daughter.

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
I know I picked two of the riskier options, but I often like to start that way. (Up next, The Tale). The humor wasn't working for me at all. Not as a satire of cheesy sci-fi 50s monster movies, not as an affectionate tribute, not as a comedy standing on its own two legs. (High Strung came to mind.) I noticed writer/director/star Larry Blamire started here and made four more features in a similar vein, so I checked out a bit of Dark and Stormy Night. Turns out, 8 years of experience didn't make him any better at this.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2019, 08:59:56 AM »
Laura is more a best of its type than great in a general sense. To me the kernel of narrative interest was the relationship of mother and daughter. There is a bit of the mother, perhaps in good faith as parent, trying to prevent in her daughter something she herself experienced, being an artistic muse.

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra is a film I watched 17-18 years ago. Being (very slightly) better versed in the cinema it sends up may knock it down if I watched it again. Or just being older.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2019, 10:16:11 AM »
David Hamilton, who I know little about but associate with gauzy cinematography and taboo sexuality.

I associate him with raping little girls and committing suicide when his victims came forward. A creep of the highest order.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2019, 11:41:59 AM »
I had not seen those news reports (which came well after my marathon of his films). I shall give him the same treatment I give Woody Allen.

love