Author Topic: Top 5 Things You Are a Sucker For  (Read 5201 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Top 5 Things You Are a Sucker For
« on: August 01, 2018, 04:23:31 AM »
What can you not help but like or be affected by in movies, even when it's egregiously corny or badly executed?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Top 5 Things You Are a Sucker For
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:19:33 AM »
Pretty cinematography
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 07:23:21 AM »
I'm a sucker for a particular shot. I can't get enough of the close following shot. If somebody is walking and the only thing you can see is their back from the shoulders up and everything else is out of focus, chances are I'm having a good time with it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:05:53 AM »
Forgiveness
Kindness to animals
Erik Satie's "Gymnopedie"
Family/friends singing together in a casual/home environment (e.g., the end of It's a Wonderful Life)
Someone struggling to make themselves understood emotionally (Cassavetes comes to mind)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 08:57:07 AM »
I'm a sucker for a particular shot. I can't get enough of the close following shot. If somebody is walking and the only thing you can see is their back from the shoulders up and everything else is out of focus, chances are I'm having a good time with it.

I can see why you'd like Sorkin so much.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 09:46:10 AM »

I can see why you'd like Sorkin so much.

I think more of Roman Polanski and Darren Aronofsky off the top of my head, but it's all over the place once you start paying attention.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 01:32:44 PM »
1. Dialogue. I even prefer over-written dialogue to flat, uninteresting dialogue. At least it's trying to be clever.
2. Looking through my favorite movies I seem to enjoy women who go insane over the course of the film
3. Manic Pixie Dream Girls. I know they're a fantasy construct, but I'm a nerd and I give into the fantasy. When they're problematic or trouble I tend to like them even more.
4. When something terrible happens and the film cuts to another character far away. There's no way they could possibly know what's happened - no Force powers - and yet they give a look like they somehow know things have changed forever.
5. When all the suspects are gathered together and the mystery is solved. (You asked for "egregiously corny".) I would also apply this to courtroom finales with everyone in the audience and boxing matches, though I'm a sucker for the characters in the audience. People watching the fight on TV is a different matter.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 01:52:11 PM by 1SO »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 09:36:11 PM »
More often that not I really like when there's narration in a movie.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 12:16:07 AM »
Beautiful animation/cinematography.  I can forgive a lot in a film if the visuals make my knees wobbly.   Tree of Life, Spirited Away, The Book of Kells, Alamar, The Scent of Green Papaya.

Thoughtful approaches to religion.  Not a religion I hold, necessarily, or good religion, but a film that takes religion seriously (for good or ill).  The Island, The Mission, Ordet, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, My Neighbor Totoro, The Walker Series.

Ethical questions or depth.  The ethics don't even have to make sense or come to any reasonable conclusions, but if it makes me think about it, I'm there.    A Serious Man, Tideland, Vera Drake, The Elephant Man, A Short Film about Love, How to Train Your Dragon.

Comedy that meets my subjective taste.  Yeah, the film might be really bad in every other aspect, but if it gives me belly-laughs I'm ready to forgive it a lot.  The Emperor's New Groove, One Week, Summer Wars, A Town Called Panic, The Gods Must Be Crazy, The Muppets.

1. Working out the nitty-gritty of idealistic compassion.  Red Beard, After the Wedding, Together, The Human Condition, Milk. Lincoln, The Selfish Giant, Ikiru, Lilo and Stich, Babe, Edward Scissorhands...
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 12:07:01 PM »
In no particular order:

Banter. Wit. Clever dialogue. Fast paced repartee. I have a weak spot for any writer who can turn a conversation into a verbal joust. It's why I love Sorkin and appreciate Shane Black and many of the Marvel characters.

Other kinds of humour. I am not a fan of all kinds of jokes - toilet humour begone ! - but I am a fairly easy crowd. Any movie that makes me laugh automatically gets on my good side. Is it dumb and stupid? Maybe. So what? Unlike the Oscars, I vastly prefer comedies to dramas. It's one of the reasons I am a sucker for MCU movies. They are consistently among the funniest movies of the year.

The English. God bless their souls. There's nothing like listening to those glorious accents and basking in the tepid humidity of their reserved self hatred and bottled up emotions, with scones and tea galore, naturally.

White collar power players. It's almost a cliché to say that there are few things as compelling as seeing someone be good at something, but I've got a soft spot for those professions that feature the highest stakes and the most yelling - financial types, lawyers, politicians, etc.

Musicals. Can't help it. If the characters break into song and the tune is catchy I am almost bound to like it. It accounts for why I love Disney Renaissance so much in large part. I even have a soft spot for Les Mis, Zeus save my soul.

I had a much better written list the other day but I had computer problems before I could post it.

love