Author Topic: Top 5 Things You Are a Sucker For  (Read 5200 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Top 5 Things You Are a Sucker For
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
Maybe trying to find some commonality in my Top 100

Films with ambitious endings or films that may just seem to randomly end without resolution

Characters that are not sure if they are losing their mind or not

Shu Qi

Non-conflicted evil characters

Relationships in turmoil

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »
A really good fist fight
It seems so simple. It should be so easy. But rarely do action films get them right. The right blend of choreography, twists and turns, and emotional dynamics, and I am in.
Recently: Mission: Impossible - Fallout's bathroom fight
Some Favorites: The Bourne Supremacy, SPL 2, The Raid 2, Raiders of the Lost Ark

Femme fatales
You're supposed to be a sucker for them by design, I suppose...
Recently (to me): The Last Seduction, Body Heat

Landscapes
Both for their beauty and scope, and when used to convey, not just a sense of place, but a character's emotional state or frame of mind.
Recently: The Rider
Some Favorites: A Touch of Zen, Days of Heaven, The Assassin, Last of the Mohicans, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Discovering a magical world
A literary and film staple, but when it's done right I am completely sucked in.
Favorites: Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Harry Potter, The 80's BBC The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe

Characters being grossed out
I don't think anything makes me laugh harder than people reacting to something that really grosses them out. Yet can't think of any specific scenes off the top of my head.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 05:15:52 PM »
Redemption arcs. These have become disappointingly rare. People also don't seem to think they are ever realistic. I think this is partly due to hyper-partisanship along with an overdose of cynicism in western society. THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI wasn't perfect in this regard, but I feel a lot of the hate that was directed at it was over how dare it even TRY to be a redemptive arc for a cop.

Queer characters who actually act and look like queer people. I just saw SKATE KITCHEN & THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST and the fact that there were lesbian characters in both that weren't conventionally attractive (Nina Moran & Emily Skeggs) was a small miracle.

Visual or slapstick humor that doesn't push the plot forward. It's like an opposite Judd Apatow for me - whereas he writes/lets actors improvise scenes that go on for far too long, I prefer a physical or visual bit that goes on for too long. There is a scene in A NEW LEAF where Henrietta has trouble getting out of her Greek tunic that I could literally watch for five more hours. It leads nowhere, it's just humor for humor's sake. Love it.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 04:04:23 AM »
The underrepresentation of unattractive people is a general issue, not a gay one, surely.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »
The underrepresentation of unattractive people is a general issue, not a gay one, surely.

I didn't say unattractive - I said conventionally attractive. I can't speak for the many people who would find Emily Skeggs or Nina Moran attractive, but I know women who look like that, especially gay women, who are extremely popular within their own communities. For so long, it's always conventionally attractive men and women who get these queer roles, men and women who fulfill the gendered expectations of their physical appearance to the t. Or they cast an otherwise conventionally attractive person and turn her unconventionally attractive, robbing those who are unconventionally attractive of roles.

Butch or masculine appearing women, for an example, have to fight harder to get roles that were essentially made for them.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 02:08:04 AM »
Aren't "unconventionally attractive" people often robbed of roles regardless of the type of role? I think there certainly are a lot more actors in the 70's that are perhaps unconventionally attractive and plain unattractive that would struggle today?  At least if it comes to films that have a reasonably large budget.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 02:15:55 AM »
Yeah, I guess it seems to me that Hollywood doesn't cast unattractive people in general. I suppose gay stories are often centered on young people; which makes it even more pronounced ? I'm not sure I'd point Cameron Post as a counter-example either, as the character you're speaking about are still rather secondary and the central trio is standard uber-attractive Hollywood actors.

An interesting point about redemption arcs though. It certainly seemed that people had a problem with the concept in Three Billboards, but I'd think that was linked to the political situation more than the mere idea of a redemption... but I can't think of many succesful films with a redemption arc recently, so ou may be on to something there (though Three Billboards was rather succesful despite the controversy around it).
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 05:17:27 AM »
Are we really going to take the diversity agenda so far as to try to cover every idiosyncratic taste in physical appearance? My friends hardly all look like Chris Hemsworth, my office is not exactly filled with Patrick Batemans and Gordon Geckos, the pubs I go to are not shock full with Emma Stones and Scarlett Johanssons. Movies were never meant to be physically representative of real people, why should gay stories, in particular, be?

The problem with the redemption arc in TBOEM is that it is too easy. The guy has a moment of epiphany and decides to straighten himself, but redemption should hurt, it is about more than making amends, it is about recognising the appalling things you've done and expressing some level of remorse and guilt, and struggling with those. Just deciding to be better here on out is not enough.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 08:09:58 AM »
I just have a problem with the phrase "actually act and look like queer people". I have a whole lot of queer people in my circle, and they run the entire spectrum. They neither act nor look any specific way.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 08:23:53 AM »
my office is not exactly filled with Patrick Batemans and Gordon Geckos

They must have at least one Cumberbatch

love