love

Author Topic: Top 5 Films to Watch on an Airplane  (Read 1843 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Top 5 Films to Watch on an Airplane
« on: August 01, 2018, 08:57:39 PM »
Darkening Humour just make watching movies on airplanes illegal. I'd want to include watching films on hand-held devices for much the same reasons.  Poor visuals, too many distractions... just not good.

However, some movies might improve, or at least not lose any of it's stellar qualities, on an airplane.  Sure, it's easy to put Airport, Goldeneye and Air Force One on the list, because that context might heighten the drama, but that's too easy.  What movies would you say, "Yeah, this is a film that is perfect for the airplane watching experience?"

For instance:

-Arachnophobia, because the spiders are small enough that I don't get scared any more.
-The Room, which already looks like a TV show and I can turn my head and take off the headphones to take a nap and I won't miss anything.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Top 5 Films to Watch on an Airplane
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 09:35:43 PM »
-Air Force One
-Snakes on a Plane

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 03:55:17 AM »
I've never wanted to watch a movie whilst flying. It is such an impractical experience, with all the having to fit the laptop on the tray while finding a decent angle for the screen, and then having to put it somewhere when the food comes around or you need to get up. I've always found flights to be perfect opportunities to get some reading done, catch up with the news or finish that novel you haven't been able to dedicate much time to lately.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 09:00:13 AM »
Flights for me are prime catching-up-on-podcasts time

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 09:13:56 AM »
Don't you get restless sitting there and listening to stuff?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »
Yeah a little. I usually play Candy Crush or something while I listen.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »
1. Something from this list: You will notice a common theme to my picks in that I watch mostly disposable garbage on an airplane. The scope doesn't matter because I've either seen the film already or it's something I had no interest in paying to watch. For example, I've seen the last 3 Transformers films on an airplane.
2. Marvel: With so many Marvel movies available, there are always a few options when I fly. (This includes X-Men films like The Wolverine and Deadpool.) Perfect way to pass the time.
3. Fast & Furious: Much like Marvel, I can't think of a recent flight that didn't have at least two F&F films. Sometimes I just rewatch the action, but it's surprising how often I've rewatched the entire film.
4. HK Action: I don't know why, but when I fly Delta there are usually a lot of HK films available, mostly action. I look for a familiar face or name and go for it. What's unique about this is I don't have WiFi in the air so I can't look to IMDB to see how bad the film I'm selecting is. These are titles that haven't been easy to find in the U.S., so it's a real roll of the dice. So far, I have yet to see one I can recommend. An example would be something from the From Vegas to Macau trilogy, starring Chow Yun-fat and directed by Wong Jing
5. International Indie Dramas: On International flights, when I'm hunkered down for a long time, I will often look for a small picture that's had little to no release in the U.S. This is how I discovered The Drummer and the Keeper, one of my favorite films from last year.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 12:52:28 PM »
My flight has Rampage on it.

That’s perfect.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »
Perhaps films we've already seen, but a cursory reminder would be good?  Marvel is a good choice, we always need to remember what happened for the next film.  I find that Pixar films can be watched indefinitely and not lose their savor. Ghibli, however, or Malick would be horrible choices, because the visual detail is what I gain joy from.

Also, movies that I've seen enough that I can see every scene.  Mary Poppins or any of the original Star Wars trilogy.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 08:58:01 AM »
As Netflix has different content in every country, I usually try to find something to download on the iPad that I can’t watch in Singapore to watch on the flights.  Or find some TV series to get through. The screen size maybe not great so I tend to watch something best for home but I use noise cancelation headphones so sound is good for being on the flight.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love