Author Topic: Top 100 Club: Teproc  (Read 22997 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Top 100 Club: Teproc
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 06:19:12 PM »
Important question: did the movie make you want to drink plum wine?

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 06:53:55 PM »
As for your troubles choosing a film: have you seen Wild Tales ? It is decidedly not wholesome (quite the opposite, it's probably the most cynical film on my list), but I think you might enjoy it.

I checked out the trailer when I was browsing your list... it was a tough one to gauge. The film may be rated-R but the trailer isn't... so I wonder if it was coming across lighter than the film really is. Does it pack a good punch?

It does.

As for the classics you cited, I think High & Low would be much more your speed than something like Stalker, though I don't know what your view on Kurosawa is generally.

He's not really for me (if Ran, Rashomon and Seven Samurai are anything to go by). My appreciation would likely be academic at best, since the age of the film (and style of filmmaking that goes with it) usually presents too large a hurdle for me to experience the film in any other way.

Fair enough.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 12:57:12 AM »
Important question: did the movie make you want to drink plum wine?

100%

Weird looking stuff though. They were enamoured with how it looked, I thought it looked like pickled eggs! But yea, definitely would love to try it.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 05:13:43 AM »
I like it a lot. Sweet dessert wine, like a port.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 07:09:04 PM »
1SO's case notwithstanding, I'm with you on Hot Fuzz being lacking in the emotional connection department, compared to either of the other Cornetto films. It's still fun(ny), but it never connected with me the way the other two have. There's also the fact that "wholesome small town is actually full of evil people" is the most overdone trope of all.

Teproc, now you have me wanting to see The World's End. :)

Sandy, I think that The World's End has what you were missing in Hot Fuzz.

The World's End

Ah, the feels. Yes, here we've come back full circle. Like any good trilogy, the middle one leaves you on a minor note, so as to appreciate the resolution in the third. With the Cornetto trilogy, the second one, though satisfying, left me wanting more. More poignancy. I had tasted it in Shaun of the Dead and caught a glimpse of it in Hot Fuzz, but was hoping to come face to face with it here. Higher stakes, heavier baggage and hard core grudges more than amply supply The World's End with the needed substance. Take any of the characters and there's enough in each one to create interest and emotions, but have them orbiting Gary, the kingpin of their wheel, the story radiates in all directions. Each messy life gets messier, as the old wounds come to the fore. The regrets and missteps have their last word, though. It's this messy imperfection which makes us, us and in the end, would we have it any other way?

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 03:18:12 AM »
1SO's case notwithstanding, I'm with you on Hot Fuzz being lacking in the emotional connection department, compared to either of the other Cornetto films. It's still fun(ny), but it never connected with me the way the other two have. There's also the fact that "wholesome small town is actually full of evil people" is the most overdone trope of all.

Teproc, now you have me wanting to see The World's End. :)

Sandy, I think that The World's End has what you were missing in Hot Fuzz.

The World's End

Ah, the feels. Yes, here we've come back full circle. Like any good trilogy, the middle one leaves you on a minor note, so as to appreciate the resolution in the third. With the Cornetto trilogy, the second one, though satisfying, left me wanting more. More poignancy. I had tasted it in Shaun of the Dead and caught a glimpse of it in Hot Fuzz, but was hoping to come face to face with it here. Higher stakes, heavier baggage and hard core grudges more than amply supply The World's End with the needed substance. Take any of the characters and there's enough in each one to create interest and emotions, but have them orbiting Gary, the kingpin of their wheel, the story radiates in all directions. Each messy life gets messier, as the old wounds come to the fore. The regrets and missteps have their last word, though. It's this messy imperfection which makes us, us and in the end, would we have it any other way?

Yeah, it always surprises me when I get reminded that this is the least beloved of the three, because its core dynamic is so strong, Pegg is so funny and at times touching, and I love that ending. It's a classic sci-fi idea, that humans are too messy and chaotic and that's what makes us imperfect but it's also who we are and we need to accept it: that's basically every other Star Trek episode, but when you add funny, emotional drunks to the recipe, it works wonders for me. And Wright's talent for editing action and comedy is on full display too.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 05:40:10 PM »
I love all three in the trilogy, but World's End is the one I find I most enjoy returning to.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 03:23:06 PM »
It's a classic sci-fi idea, that humans are too messy and chaotic and that's what makes us imperfect but it's also who we are and we need to accept it: that's basically every other Star Trek episode,

No wonder I liked the film so much! :D

but when you add funny, emotional drunks to the recipe, it works wonders for me. And Wright's talent for editing action and comedy is on full display too.

Absolutely! Thanks, Teproc and oldkid for encouraging me to see this.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 07:18:50 AM »
The Hateful Eight (2015 Quentin Tarantino)

This is a film to be seen on the biggest possible screen. I have a projector and watched it as an 8 foot wide image and it just did not do it justice. Part of the problem is it is in a super wide format (Ultra Panavision 70 aspect ratio 2.76 : 1) so the image was not very tall. At over 2.5 hours long it is not a fast watch. Still I managed to find a time where I could watch it all, except I ended up having to watch the last few minutes of the story the following morning as battery problems left me hanging too late to sort them out.

Once again Tarantino has given us an interesting cast of characters, and with the mainly single location, this has a bit of a Reservoir Dogs feel. Tarantino gives us a movie that savours each morsel letting the moments gently roll around on your palate before being swallowed. So the length of the film is countered a little with the tastiness of the contents. Still in a few parts I was hoping for a bit more swallowing and a little less  savouring.

What a wonderful cast with all of the bringing there A game to the table, with Jennifer Jason Leigh providing a gleeful devilish performance. I have trouble faulting the movie, but still it did not fill me, so I can not give it high marks.

Rating: 78 / 100

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2018, 03:47:11 PM »
The Grand Budapest Hotel

"If you stay here and this becomes your present, then pretty soon, you'll start imagining another time was really your, you know, was really the golden time. That's what the present is. That it's a little unsatisfying, because life's a little unsatisfying." -- Midnight in Paris

How does one span three generations, finding nostalgia, within nostalgia, within nostalgia? How does one create a 3D world while implementing a 2D cut out style? How does one assemble highly skilled actors, in just the right roles, saying just the right lines, in just the right way? How does one frame everything into an inch of its life, which elicits such a satisfying sigh? How you say? You invite Wes Anderson to take the helm.

To Mr. Anderson, the cast and crew, "With respect, adoration, admiration, kisses, gratitude, best wishes..." Cordially, Sandy