Author Topic: Top 100 Club: Teproc  (Read 23029 times)

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: Top 100 Club: Teproc
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2018, 05:40:22 PM »
The Hateful Eight (2015 Quentin Tarantino)

This is a film to be seen on the biggest possible screen. I have a projector and watched it as an 8 foot wide image and it just did not do it justice. Part of the problem is it is in a super wide format (Ultra Panavision 70 aspect ratio 2.76 : 1) so the image was not very tall. At over 2.5 hours long it is not a fast watch. Still I managed to find a time where I could watch it all, except I ended up having to watch the last few minutes of the story the following morning as battery problems left me hanging too late to sort them out.

Once again Tarantino has given us an interesting cast of characters, and with the mainly single location, this has a bit of a Reservoir Dogs feel. Tarantino gives us a movie that savours each morsel letting the moments gently roll around on your palate before being swallowed. So the length of the film is countered a little with the tastiness of the contents. Still in a few parts I was hoping for a bit more swallowing and a little less  savouring.

What a wonderful cast with all of the bringing there A game to the table, with Jennifer Jason Leigh providing a gleeful devilish performance. I have trouble faulting the movie, but still it did not fill me, so I can not give it high marks.

Rating: 78 / 100

I do regret not having had the opportunity to see it in 70mm (only two theaters showed it in that format), I certainly agree that the bigger the screen, the better in this case. It's perhaps the most Tarantino film there is, kind of like a best of album, with a lot of his favorite performers, the long-awaited collaboration with Ennio Morricone, the humour, the violence, and of course the dialogue. Jason Leigh does stand out, in part because she is something new for him: her character is the only one that feels truly original here, and she is what makes it one of his best films for me, along with the obvious (Morricone's score and Richardson's cinematography).
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2018, 05:43:29 PM »
The Grand Budapest Hotel

"If you stay here and this becomes your present, then pretty soon, you'll start imagining another time was really your, you know, was really the golden time. That's what the present is. That it's a little unsatisfying, because life's a little unsatisfying." -- Midnight in Paris

How does one span three generations, finding nostalgia, within nostalgia, within nostalgia? How does one create a 3D world while implementing a 2D cut out style? How does one assemble highly skilled actors, in just the right roles, saying just the right lines, in just the right way? How does one frame everything into an inch of its life, which elicits such a satisfying sigh? How you say? You invite Wes Anderson to take the helm.

To Mr. Anderson, the cast and crew, "With respect, adoration, admiration, kisses, gratitude, best wishes..." Cordially, Sandy

I like that idea of the 3D world made out of a 2D style. It is such a dynamic film, which is not a quality one would associate with Wes Anderson's style... well, I suppose all of his films have that quality, but it feels like they shouldn't. His style is often compared to that of a diorama, but what makes it work is that it moves so much and so well.

Letterbox'd

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 05:05:48 PM »
In agreement, Teproc!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 05:40:56 PM »
Our Little Sister

This film reminded me strongly of Little Women.  A group of sisters moving through everyday life with camaraderie, determination and each to their unique strengths.  However the unity of the film has more to do with the ensemble of characters, rather than a specific arc or connected series of events.  Overall, the film is simply a joy to experience, even while I might find it lacking in direction or theme.  There is little to analyze, just a family to appreciate, spend time with, and take joy in.  That's more than enough.

4/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2018, 09:13:24 PM »
Well said.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
Our Little Sister

This film reminded me strongly of Little Women.  A group of sisters moving through everyday life with camaraderie, determination and each to their unique strengths.  However the unity of the film has more to do with the ensemble of characters, rather than a specific arc or connected series of events.  Overall, the film is simply a joy to experience, even while I might find it lacking in direction or theme.  There is little to analyze, just a family to appreciate, spend time with, and take joy in.  That's more than enough.

4/5

Well now I want to watch Little Women.  :D

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd say Our Little Sister is about anything besides general family dynamics, but as someone who has five siblings I'd say that's enough of a subject for one movie. The relationships and the characters feel so right, and I keep seeing myself and other family members in several different characters at different times, which makes it feel very truthful as a movie to me.

Letterbox'd

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2018, 01:59:06 AM »
I've never seen an adaptation of Little Women.  I was speaking of the book.  I assume one of the various films would pretty much be the same.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2018, 02:02:40 AM »
Oooh. I never realized that was what Little Women was (the French title is Les quatre filles du Docteur March, meaning Dr. March's Four Daughters), I see.

Letterbox'd

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2018, 02:10:19 AM »
You ever read it?  Kind of an old book, but really charming.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2018, 05:53:08 AM »
I'm familiar with it but I haven't read it. I probably should, but the list of books I "probably should read" is basically infinite.

Letterbox'd