Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018  (Read 3773 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »
My research tells me 75 actors have played the part, and thatís not counting Will Ferrell. So clearly Iím a long way from a definitive list, but hereís who I know.

1. Benedict Cumberbatch
2. Basil Rathbone

3. Peter Cushing
4. Nicholas Rowe
5. John Neville
6. Barrie Ingham
7. Nicol Williamson

8. Robert Downey Jr.
9. Christopher Plummer
10. Jeremy Brett
11. Robert Stephens

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:17:25 PM by 1SO »
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »
Jaws is definitely a horror film, it just doesn't feel like one to me. I'm hoping to get to The Birds, but wonder if it'll feel similar because birds are just real things. I never really got the 'horror' vibe from what I know of other killer fish movies, not even the Goosebumps books that focus on them, or Anaconda, which I have seen and didn't feel like what I think of when I think horror, though that one is more scary because I don't like snakes. But they're just wild animals, I know they can hurt people.
Interesting. I listen to a Podcast with two people who Love horror films, but don't care for ghost stories because ghosts aren't real. To them horror is other living people.

I think the genre has cast a wide net to make anything and everything scary: animals, houses, little wooden dolls, the wind. Like you say, it comes down to the filmmaking. Are bird naturally scary? No. But if they were suddenly all rise up against us we'd be heavily outnumbered. The most far out example of this idea is Phase IV, which suggests ants have been working away at the ground to set up our own destruction and by the time we learn of this, it's already too late to stop them.

That last part feels less 'real' to me though, which is kind of why, with what little I know/pictures I've seen of The Birds, I am hopeful for the Hitchcock. Obviously birds flock (insert Migos ad lib here), but when you have so many together that are shown as scheming rather than just randomly attacking adds a human-like quality to it, which I didn't really get with the shark until that last encounter.

And I've heard the case for not caring for ghost stories, and I think it's just a fundamental difference in things that scare people. It's that fear of the unknown and the improbable that works for me, which is why I liked The Little Stranger earlier this year more than most, it's just so situated in gothic horror, and I like that traditionalism/those are the stories that, when I was younger, conditioned me to associate with the genre. While stuff like Saw doesn't scare me even though things like that are very likely happening or can happen in real life, but it's more explainable. I'm not sure if that makes sense. I feel like I can still enjoy stuff like that, just in a different way than how I enjoyed Nightmare or Hellraiser.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »
I had to edit my list because the wife reminded me I forgot Barrie Ingham as Basil of Baker Street in The Great Mouse Detective.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2018, 10:31:47 PM »
Slice

Much more comedy than horror, I still found a good deal to like about this, and continues A24's reputation of getting things out that are well worth watching. Not all the jokes land, and I don't know if I'm sold on Chance as an actor (or a rapper, am I right???), but Beetz is incredibly compelling as is Paul Scheer's inclusion. The attempts at social commentary are admirable, though like a lot of the film it could use with a little more time to actually develop everything, this is a super breezy 82 minutes, but better too short than too long. Maybe. I'm actually not super sure in this case because everything happens so quickly that you don't get a lot of time to just enjoy the world.

Still, it has a nice style that elevates beyond the music videos that Vesely is known for, and is also helped by the aesthetic that it toys with throughout. Not to mention those opening credits. Damn.

Like The Monster Squad this one isn't really trying to be scary, so I suppose on the scary meter this one would get a...

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2018, 10:50:39 PM »
Definitely one for my Watchlist. Zazie Beetz was a star in Deadpool 2 and I've become a big fan of Paul Scheer, who manages to be entertaining and fun without going for jokes. He just seems like someone you want to hang out and talk movies with.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2018, 11:32:26 PM »
Need to listen to more of his Podcasts. He does go for jokes here, but in the way he typically does, so if you like his style of comedy I think you'll like him here even though it's not his best or most casual work. A lot of the jokes, even the easier ones, ended up hitting for me though.

It also didn't show a ton of pizza, which was good because it didn't make me want pizza as much as I was afraid it would.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2018, 06:34:29 AM »
Apostle (2018)

There's something kind of impressive about the modern movie landscape where I hear about a film directed by Gareth Evans (The Raid), starring the likes of Dan Stevens and Michael Sheen, for the first time and that evening can play it on Netflix. In truth it is a film that premiered at Fantastic Fest last month, but it is clear that "straight to streaming" doesn't have the negative implications that "straight to video" used to. On the other hand, those old instincts die hard and when one of these films succeeds as much as Apostle does, you kind of wish it had gone into theatres.

Apostle definitely owes a lot to The Wicker Man. Thomas (Stevens) heads to an island dominated by a cult in search of a missing (or in this case held hostage for ransom) person, his sister. While the first half moves at a slower pace, as the community beliefs and practices are highlighted, the tension lies in that Thomas is at risk of being found out at any point. Again like The Wicker Man, the second half is where it fully devolves into madness. This is a proper nasty film but it is done with creativity and flair that it doesn't feel off-putting. Add in threads of thematic inquiry about nature, patriarchy, religion, etc. and it is quite the nourishing delight of a horror film. Certainly one of the surprises/discoveries of the year.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2018, 01:48:20 PM »
That's now in the top of my queue.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2018, 02:08:10 PM »
You may have noticed Junior hyping it on Twitter too.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2018, 03:11:57 PM »
I swear I'm going to post like 20 Shocktober reviews tomorrow, including that, which is at the top of the pile.
Check out my blog of many topics

ďIím not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!Ē