Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018  (Read 31144 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »
If you're looking for a recommendation:
They Shoot Zombies, Don't They?

1SO's list of Horror Essentials
1 - 50: They Shoot Zombies Pantheon Picks - Alphabetical
51 - 80: My Additional Essentials - Alphabetical
81 - 111: Top 31 Horror pre-1959 - Ranked
112 - 423: 1959 to 2018 - best of each year (excluding Pantheon)

Sandy's Scale of Scariness.
Quote, Copy and Paste the indicator to the bottom of your review. Feel free to change the label to clarify levels of Tension, Gore and Disturbing Content

- Terrifying

- Really Scary

- Scary

- Slightly Scary

- Safe for Sandy

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 03:25:51 PM »
I will see if I can get one in this year.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »
Truth or Dare (2018)

Watched this a couple days ago, but since at my current rate of movie watching, who knows if I'll get to another horror film for the marathon.

This certainly has potential. The most obvious comparison point is Final Destination, with a supernatural force following this group of youngsters around. But now instead of just seeking to achieve the death it feels itself owed, it makes them play Truth or Dare. Lie and you die, refuse a dare and you die. It actually has the potential to be really morally interesting. There's a bit of a trolley problem nature about the idea of valuing your own life against whatever the cost will be of the truth you have to tell or the dare you are asked to do. While it is hard to imagine a truth worth dying to conceal, one can fathom a few. And the film's strengths are definitely in its truths. Its dares on the other hand generally lack the specificity to be meaningful, though in a few cases they definitely ask the characters to inflate their own value. [Note here that Nerve is a far better handling of dares]. Unfortunately, the film largely ignores the moral question, and in its conclusion spits directly in its face.

In the broader question of "how to survive" it hits in some part on It Follows and, to the extent that series touched on it, Final Destination. It is elaborate and unfulfilling. But maybe the chief failing keeping Truth or Dare from a horror cannon including those two other films, is it quite simply lacks quality kills. If you aren't going to use your horror to speak to me intellectually, at least satisfy my carnal desires that Cabin In The Woods winks at. Final Destination was the king of the quality kill, even as the films got kind of bad. Here it is all so remarkably boring, the dark spirit's go to move might as well be dying peacefully in ones sleep.

- Slightly Scary (mostly for the weird expression people get when the spirit inhabits them)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:52:58 PM »

Diabolique
Kwaidan
The Descent
The Ghost Breakers
The Innocents
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:03:59 PM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 08:54:09 PM »
Yup, Truth or Dare is a tough watch. With a few tweaks it could have been great.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 08:58:21 PM »
Reserved.

I'm thinking about concentrating on the Hammer films of the 50's & 60's.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 09:54:56 PM »
at my current rate of movie watching, who knows if I'll get to another horror film for the marathon.
My Watchlist includes another film from the female director on In My Skin. I know you weren't a fan of that one, but I'm always keeping an eye out for a female-directed recommendation for you.

I'm thinking about concentrating on the Hammer films of the 50's & 60's.
That's a great niche to explore. Once you learn the formula it becomes like comfort food, and there's an interesting progression from schlocky early titles to later ones that push the buttons while staying fun.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 10:14:27 PM »
A Quiet Place (John Krasinski, 2018)        9/10

Wow, this was great. It was great right away and did things to confirm it's greatness all the way through the experience. I had no foreknowledge of any aspect of the film, it just seemed to have generated some positive buzz.

I don't know what there is to say about it except that it was one of the best experiences I've had in a while. I'm especially glad to have avoided the theatre for this film. The moments when the film would drown out the sound of popcorn eaters are few and far between. :-\

I don't know if it quite qualifies as horror... but whatever. :)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »
Love it. I rewatched that at home a few months back and it was just as good the second time around. Just really well crafted throughout.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”