Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018  (Read 4038 times)

1SO

  • FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • *****
  • Posts: 31298
  • Marathon Man
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 10:33:12 PM »
Scary creatures, Shocks and a merciless Soundtrack or Silence. Definitely Horror.

Not the time to bring you off your high and I do think it's a well-directed film with a fully-committed Emily Blunt. That's what got me to forgive the more improbable aspects of the story. It's the kind of film where it gets you to believe 75% of the birth so you happily lend it the other 25% because the film is much better with it than without it.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

1SO

  • FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • *****
  • Posts: 31298
  • Marathon Man
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 10:43:24 PM »
The most likely titles (with Mrs. 1SO)





Here are 5 Priority Titles, 5 I picked simply because of the title or poster and 5 Rewatches

Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

smirnoff

  • Objectively Awesome
  • *****
  • Posts: 25006
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 10:47:47 PM »
Love it. I rewatched that at home a few months back and it was just as good the second time around. Just really well crafted throughout.

That was my biggest initial surprise. That feeling of being in good hands. I had forgotten who the director was going in, and was only reminded at the end credits. Either way I would've had my doubts, but it was nice to put those doubts aside so early and settle in.

Scary creatures, Shocks and a merciless Soundtrack or Silence. Definitely Horror.

Not the time to bring you off your high and I do think it's a well-directed film with a fully-committed Emily Blunt. That's what got me to forgive the more improbable aspects of the story. It's the kind of film where it gets you to believe 75% of the birth so you happily lend it the other 25% because the film is much better with it than without it.

Yea, this is one of those films I'll have an almost unlimited amount of good-will for. Any plot point or character decision that is questionable, I'll be inclined to spin to the films credit. :)

Smoke

  • Junior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 47
    • band website
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 10:15:50 PM »
A Quiet Place (John Krasinski, 2018)        9/10

Wow, this was great. It was great right away and did things to confirm it's greatness all the way through the experience. I had no foreknowledge of any aspect of the film, it just seemed to have generated some positive buzz.

I don't know what there is to say about it except that it was one of the best experiences I've had in a while. I'm especially glad to have avoided the theatre for this film. The moments when the film would drown out the sound of popcorn eaters are few and far between. :-\

I don't know if it quite qualifies as horror... but whatever. :)

I saw in a theater and that tension worked to it's advantage. I agree it was a very effective film.

philip918

  • Elite Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4510
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 01:29:05 PM »
The strangest thing about A Quiet Place is that it might be the most conservative horror film I've ever seen. Unique in a genre that thrives on transgression.

My hope for Shocktober is to catch up on a handful of 2018 releases if possible. My wife doesn't watch horror, so my only real time to watch is early in the morning, which isn't very conducive to horror viewing... So who knows.

Hereditary
Slice
Mandy
Wildling

Junior

  • Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • *****
  • Posts: 28098
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 01:46:47 PM »
I keep seeing claims that A Quiet Place is conservative but I have yet to see a convincing argument.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

philip918

  • Elite Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4510
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 01:55:56 PM »
A family working against all odds and all rationale to have a baby under the most dire circumstances imaginable.

They're literally introducing a noise machine into a world where sound equals death.

Junior

  • Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • *****
  • Posts: 28098
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »
Right, but how is that conservative except in the way where conservatives have a stranglehold on family values and liberals decidedly don't? That's a dichotomy that I don't buy in the slightest.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

philip918

  • Elite Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4510
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 03:30:09 PM »
I was raised in a very conservative Christian home in a small Midwest town and every detail of this film felt finely tuned to that outlook. I know it when I see it.

A quick search brings up dozens of articles and blog posts making this argument from both progressive, conservative, and Christian sites.

Junior

  • Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • *****
  • Posts: 28098
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 03:40:41 PM »
I'll agree that the movie feels very Midwestern. And the valuing of life is typically understood as a conservative American viewpoint, but that's the part I'm not buying. Conservative Americans are pro-birth, which the movie is as well, but the movie doesn't end when the baby is born. After that, there's a dedication to keeping the child alive, which to my biased eyes reads like a liberal value.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!