Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018  (Read 31110 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2018
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 09:24:12 AM »
Piranha - which one?
The Woman in Black - which one? The one with Radcliffe is terribly noisy.
1978 and 2012

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 11:03:15 PM »
Cult of Chucky - Does this mean you've seen Curse of Chucky? That's one of the Top 3 of the franchise.

I liked Curse as well. Goes back to the more serious tone after the meta-humour of Bride and Seed.
I'd rank 'em something like this:
CP1>Bride>Curse>CP2>CP3>Seed

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2018, 11:43:28 PM »
Red Dragon > Silence of the Lambs
Of course everyone has their own opinion, but if I said this was a lie I believe no jury would rule against me.

Piranha - which one?
The Woman in Black - which one? The one with Radcliffe is terribly noisy.
1978 and 2012
I've been debating rewatching the 1978 Piranha. Haven't seen it since I was a kid.

I liked Curse as well. Goes back to the more serious tone after the meta-humour of Bride and Seed.
I'd rank 'em something like this:
CP1>Bride>Curse>CP2>CP3>Seed
I'm close to that.
Bride>Curse>CP1>Seed>CP2

Haven't seen CP3 yet, but it's in my Marathon.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 12:50:09 AM »
Great list, Sandy. None of them are too terrifying in my book. Okay, the first bit of Scream is scary.

Daytime watching it is, then!

This is my tentative list,

Alien
An American Werewolf in London
Pan's Labyrinth
Scream

All Essential Horror though only the first and last make my personal list.

I'll prioritize those.

Great list, Sandy. None of them are too terrifying in my book. Okay, the first bit of Scream is scary.
Scream is a horror rollercoaster. The scares are paced to create an exciting funhouse.

Sandy's list is a classic list and I can't wait to hear what she says about all these films.

I hope I can do them justice. :)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2018, 01:23:18 PM »
Red Dragon > Silence of the Lambs
Of course everyone has their own opinion, but if I said this was a lie I believe no jury would rule against me.

They might even send you to the Baltimore State Hospital for the Criminally Insane.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
Heredity

Most of us think of a horror movie as being frightening, but there are a whole variety of responses we could have.  Horror, as a genre, could be frightening, could be funny, could be creepy, could evoke dread, could be evocative of horror tropes.  Heredity, however, is one of a handful of horror films that truly is simply horror-ful.  More than inspiring fear, it made me sick, full of horror at the events rolling out in front of me.  At moments, I  honestly felt nauseous, not because of any grotesque scene, but because everything happening was like a number of punches in my gut.

Although the first scene places the film in 2018, the look of the presentation seemed very 70s, with a bit of fuzz in the picture and the reds a bit saturated. That is simply the beginning of the disorientation. I was jarred again and again with horrible accidents, horrible family relations, horrible mental illness, horrible spiritual events.  It builds up, a pile of discomfort to a crescendo of disgust.

I honestly can't recommend this film, but I can say that it is very successful.  The soundtrack, although seemingly cliche at the beginning, adds to the overall unease, along with the cinematography and acting. All excellently presented to make one of the most jarring cinematic experiences.

4/5

Post Script-- After the film, I went immediately to Facebook to get some normalcy from my friends.  One of the first things I saw is that the body of a 87-year old customer of my wife was found in the car of a three-time sex offender after being missing for six days.  A meme reminding me about the baby with his homeless mother having frozen to death in Portland last year.  And another accusation of sexual assault against the nominee to the Supreme Court.  Horror isn't just in the movies.  I want to go to bed. And stay there.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2018, 12:54:16 AM »
Mother! - Yeah, we get it Aronofsky women are constantly in emotional distress... It wasn't awful but felt like it was just a bunch of other better movies slapped together without any consideration for coherence. It's not doing anything really new or interesting. I would have rather seen another The Wrestler than another Rosemary's Baby meets Perfect Blue.

PS: Finally finished watch all of last year's filmspot noms with this one, I would not have voted for it...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:55:58 AM by Beavermoose »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2018, 01:25:36 AM »
I wonder if there will come a time when people will settle on a general opinion towards mother! Has to be one of the Top 5 most divisive films of my lifetime (though not as loudly expressed as The Last Jedi.)

oldkid, if I had your postscript of real life horror it might derail my Shocktober cheer.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »
I imagine the ship has sailed, so to speak, but Johnny K's character in A Quiet Place very much pushes for, even with the world gone to shit, a traditional familial structure. Daughter has to stay home, son has to fish and hunt. There's definitely the pro-life angle as well, and the even more ridiculous decision to have a child in that world to begin with/putting yourself in a position where that's even a possibility is which is perhaps the most nonsensical part of the film and its biggest weakness, but even though I don't think this film is hard Conservative there are certainly plenty of elements. Likely even more, if I went back looking, but it's not something I think I'll revisit for a very long time, if at all.

I want to watch Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street for this marathon. And the new Halloween, probably, though may save that sucker for the 31st.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »

Murder, He Says (1945)
"It's like looking for a needle in a slaughter house."

Fred MacMurray gets trapped in a house with a family of murderous hillbillies. I was expecting something along the lines of Arsenic and Old Lace, but read one review that mentioned The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This doesn't have the chainsaw, but it does have the innocent hero unable to escape a family that all suffer from a different form of crazy. More specifically, there are bones on the wall, a kindly father who is one of the worst of the bunch and a grandparent who may or may not be dead. I wouldn't be surprised to learn Tobe Hooper was influenced by this movie, though he took things in a ghastly different direction while this is more of a dark screwball comedy.

MacMurray throws himself into the part full force, probably to keep from being upstaged by the family. (Marjorie Main plays the mother, who carries a whip everywhere she goes.) There are moments that work and a half-dozen laughs, but it doesn't breathe the same air as Arsenic and Old Lace. That film was full of characters I enjoyed spending time with. Most of the gang here I was going to be happy to finally get away from.
Rating: ★ ★ ½

- Safe for Sandy
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:51:23 PM by 1SO »